Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Witt
Canada
Smithers
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure where to post this, so starting here (i may end up having to call the publisher...).

my wife and i tried King of Tokyo at Craving for a Game (Surrey, BC - thanks Buck!). fell in love instantly. 9/10 on the FUN scale. PLUS: it has dice!!! i love dice.

paid retail approx.: $45+tax. was happy.

well, i finally opened it up after flying home to Smithers and now i am quite less than happy. this may be my picky genes coming out, but man, do those dice SUCK.

fresh out of a shrinkwrapped box, those dice (particularly the black ones where you can see it) look like they have been tossed around the factory floor. all the faces are scratched up significantly (imagine taking 220 grit sandpaper and taking a couple swipes on each face -- on the black parts, anyways, the green paint looks fine, actually).

on top of scratches, scratches everywhere (some poem is going through my mind... oh, yeah! water, water everywhere, and not a drop, etc.), which i COULD tolerate through the frustration/disappointment, many (all? i didn't check - was too teed-off.) of the dice had one or more edges or corners with chips out of them. since i was concerned, i gave a gentle scratch over these areas to see how durable they were, and more black dice comes off. this, i think, is not a good sign for long-term use of a dice-rolling game.

so, yes, i am pi$$ed. i spent $50 (remember the tax!) for lousy dice. scratched and dinged. that i fully expect to continue to degrade with use.

definitely one of those "first world problems" (already getting sick of that meme!), but wow, am i disappointed with Iello.

anyone had similar issues? has Iello been helpful if/when you contacted them?

really hoping i could get sent a nice, pristine set of dice to destroy myself. not a fan of pre-destroyed games when i paid full retail for them...

(and, yes, the obvious retort i am saying even to myself is: well, you can still play the bloomin' thing, so why so upset. because. that's why. my brand new game with its beautiful box looking so nice on the shelf had lousy components. yes, components -- i could get upset about the energy cubes which, in the store copy looked so nice i thought they could be glass, but in my box, a third/half of them have a nasty, sticky-outy white pip thingy. stated that clearly, didn't i: the part where the resin was probably piped in. so they don't look like glass, rather like plastic with a extra-plasticky looking white bit on one corner.)

sigh. i am grouchy. (yes, it could have been the reason for the trip, which was far from a happy occasion, i guess...)

darren

[edit below]

this is what my dice looked like out of the box. except that my green paint is fine. the wear on the black corners, and lots of scratching? thats my brand new dice.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1042925/king-of-tokyo

hmmm... or are all the dice dinged on the corners/edges, and the wear is a paint issue?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it over the weekend and the dice in my set were fine. One of the standees had a bent top but not bad enough to replace.

My only big disappointment was the dice had silkscreened art and not etched art. I imagine the art will wear off eventually. We loved the game and played it 5 times already. So worry a bit about how well they will hold up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have any issues with the cards (which I've sleeved) but did with the dice. I've already written the company to get two dice replaced. One was split down the side and another had a chip off one of the corners. Now I need to wait and see if they respond and replace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Witt
Canada
Smithers
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, it's somewhat nice to hear it is not only me who has lousy luck. though that makes me a bit of a git, i guess.

thanks for the info. please let me know how they respond to you.

good luck!

dw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my podcast at www.thepartygamecast.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like other folks with different issues have found help here.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/694892/missing-cyberbunn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Witt
Canada
Smithers
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
My only big disappointment was the dice had silkscreened art and not etched art.

I thought the same thing when I received my copy. I can't imagine them saving all that much money by going this route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
My only big disappointment was the dice had silkscreened art and not etched art. I imagine the art will wear off eventually. We loved the game and played it 5 times already. So worry a bit about how well they will hold up.

I totally agree. It's really sad and disappointing to see silk screened dice, especially after opening and playing this right after several games of Quarriors! that contains 130 custom embossed dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Knotts
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race?
badge
¡Viva la Revolución!
mbmbmbmbmb
tishdar wrote:
well, i finally opened it up after flying home to Smithers and now i am quite less than happy. this may be my picky genes coming out, but man, do those dice SUCK.

fresh out of a shrinkwrapped box, those dice (particularly the black ones where you can see it) look like they have been tossed around the factory floor. all the faces are scratched up significantly (imagine taking 220 grit sandpaper and taking a couple swipes on each face -- on the black parts, anyways, the green paint looks fine, actually).

on top of scratches, scratches everywhere (some poem is going through my mind... oh, yeah! water, water everywhere, and not a drop, etc.), which i COULD tolerate through the frustration/disappointment, many (all? i didn't check - was too teed-off.) of the dice had one or more edges or corners with chips out of them. since i was concerned, i gave a gentle scratch over these areas to see how durable they were, and more black dice comes off. this, i think, is not a good sign for long-term use of a dice-rolling game.

I received my copy a couple days ago and did the unboxing yesterday only to be just as disappointed about the dice as you are. Quite frankly, after opening the package I was having some real concerns about whether or not this set had already been used. Luckily the cards were perfect, but my concerns were...

1) The (cheap) plastic insert is all crinkled up - but that was not such a big deal to me since the box was fine.

2) The dice are scuffed & scratched and three of them have edges that look like they're missing small chunks. I can understand painting the dice vs. embossing (I have no idea what the cost differential is on that, but that's their choice); however, the dice should still look new upon opening. I'm really disappointed with the dice.

3) Of my monster inserts, a couple of them have some slight damage (meka dragon in particular due to the little spikes around his head) - this part doesn't concern me except when added to everything else.

4) Reviews that I watched all have scorecards with metal gromets to hold them together... all of mine are plastic. Not a huge deal, just additional disappointment.

EDIT: Adding a link to a picture of my dice - after unboxing but BEFORE any play
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1088130/king-of-tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dice are pretty darn janky, too. They're just "scuffy" all over, in such a way that they almost appear dirty and certainly appear used.

My board is also cut oddly. The bottom edge takes an upward turn as it gets about 3/4 inch from the left edge. It LOOKS like somebody cut off the bottom left corner at a shallow angle, then re-finished it to cover the mistake. Obviously an industrial process went awry, but that's what it looks like.

(The top edge veers downward at the left edge, too, but just for a very short distance, in such a way that I wouldn't have even noticed expect that the bottom edge struck me as so odd looking.)

I'm definitely contacting the company. Getting dice this used looking in a brand new game ain't at all cool by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyjason wrote:

My board is also cut oddly. The bottom edge takes an upward turn as it gets about 3/4 inch from the left edge. It LOOKS like somebody cut off the bottom left corner at a shallow angle, then re-finished it to cover the mistake. Obviously an industrial process went awry, but that's what it looks like.

This is exactly the problem I have with my board as well. I sent a message early last week, but haven't gotten a response yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy has now been played 9 times and the green paint on the dice is wearing off. There seems to be white paint underneath. So far that is holding up.

I really, really hope they do a new printing with etched dice and allow us with the current edition a way to buy a set of those. This game is really fun and everyone wants to play it but now I worry about it getting played too much! soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Witt
Canada
Smithers
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyjason wrote:
I'm definitely contacting the company. Getting dice this used looking in a brand new game ain't at all cool by me.

please let me know how it goes -- i seriously want to contact them and complain, but right now am peeved enough that i don't want to deal with it. yes, a bit inconsistent/irrational, i admit. but really, really disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Witt
Canada
Smithers
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
t_knotts wrote:
tishdar wrote:

I received my copy a couple days ago and did the unboxing yesterday only to be just as disappointed about the dice as you are. Quite frankly, after opening the package I was having some real concerns about whether or not this set had already been used. Luckily the cards were perfect, but my concerns were...

1) The (cheap) plastic insert is all crinkled up - but that was not such a big deal to me since the box was fine.

2) The dice are scuffed & scratched and three of them have edges that look like they're missing small chunks. I can understand painting the dice vs. embossing (I have no idea what the cost differential is on that, but that's their choice); however, the dice should still look new upon opening. I'm really disappointed with the dice.

3) Of my monster inserts, a couple of them have some slight damage (meka dragon in particular due to the little spikes around his head) - this part doesn't concern me except when added to everything else.

4) Reviews that I watched all have scorecards with metal gromets to hold them together... all of mine are plastic. Not a huge deal, just additional disappointment.

EDIT: Adding a link to a picture of my dice - after unboxing but BEFORE any play
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1088130/king-of-tokyo

that's pretty much what my dice look like. lots of gaps in the edges and totally scuffed.

and now i am worried about the inserts... haven't scrutinized them yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Knotts
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race?
badge
¡Viva la Revolución!
mbmbmbmbmb
tishdar wrote:

that's pretty much what my dice look like. lots of gaps in the edges and totally scuffed.

and now i am worried about the inserts... haven't scrutinized them yet.

I emailed the Sandra mentioned in the linked forum (see below) about whether or not it would be possible to replace the dice... will update if I hear anything.

Appleseed54 wrote:
Please note that if you have any complaint (missing dice, marked card etc ...) we handle it from France directly.
We have a After-Sales Service with Sandra (sandra@iello.fr) dedicated to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update: I have received NO reply to my email regarding my scuffy and scruffy-lookin' dice. So preliminarily, at least: poor quality control and poor support/customer service. Huh.

EDIT 9.19: Received email from Sandra requesting my address for replacement dice. Hooray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost two weeks and no response on my damaged board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Knotts
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
¡Viva la Revolución!
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyjason wrote:
Just an update: I have received NO reply to my email regarding my scuffy and scruffy-lookin' dice. So preliminarily, at least: poor quality control and poor support/customer service. Huh.

shigadeyo wrote:
Almost two weeks and no response on my damaged board...

UPDATE: I received a response from Sandra this morning, hopefully you guys will hear from her soon as well.

--T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toby
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tobyjason wrote:

Good news! I received an email from Iello's Sandra today (9.19), asking for my address to send replacement dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
man I really wanted to get this game

sounds like I will have to waitcrycrycry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
metzjames wrote:
man I really wanted to get this game

sounds like I will have to waitcrycrycry

I wouldn't be too put off. I ordered this and was happy with my components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Caslava
Czech Republic
Kolin
flag msg tools
Hi guys... i send a e-mail to sandra during 15. 9. 2011 and she never respond. I complained to scuffed & scratched dices in my box of KoT and I pointed to the fact, that during first game one of my dice lost print and now i have only smears barely resemble what the original character was.

Today (22.9.) I received a small package from France and... YES new set of dice arrived :-) Now i am happy. May be communication with Sandra is not so good, but she can help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snappy Dan
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zhan_Shi wrote:
YES new set of dice arrived :-)

How does the quality of the replacement dice compare to the quality of your original dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now played 10 times with my set and the dice art is difinitely wearing off. Not sure getting replacements is going to do anything except happen again. Though I suppose having a second set to replace these when they wear, then a third set... See where this is going.

Everyone that plays the game loves it. I've introduced it to many people and now I have the problem that it might be too popular! All the other components seem to be holding up at least.

If anyone from the company is reading this, please consider to do etched dice in the next edition and offer us that have first edition a way to buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
If anyone from the company is reading this, please consider to do etched dice in the next edition and offer us that have first edition a way to buy them.

It really amazes me that they didn't go with etched/embossed dice to begin with. After all, it's just one die design that would need to be setup since all 8 dice are the same design...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.