Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister is looking for game suggestions for her boyfriend's sisters.

The information that I have:

* they are 8 years old
* they like card games (but suggestions don't necessarily have to be limited to card games)
* 3 to 5 players is ideal
* they like animals

Some of my current thoughts are listed below, but I'm not extremely familiar with many games that meet the above criteria well, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hey, That's My Fish!
Bohnanza
Villa Paletti
Coloretto
Zooloretto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Coloretoo and Zooloretto would work nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great start.

You might also look at:
Fairy Tale
Labyrinth
Forbidden Island

They max out at 4 players (Fairy Tale plays 5, but differently), but they're all games my daughter loved as an 8 year old and still loves as a 9 year old. There's a huge difference there too, just ask her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We played Master Labyrinth and Labyrinth all the time when I was growing up. That's a good suggestion, thanks. I don't know anything about Fairy Tale or Forbidden Island, I'll check those out as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ulmangt wrote:
My sister is looking for game suggestions for her boyfriend's sisters.

Sure! Invite them over for a game of hide the…

ulmangt wrote:
* they are 8 years old

…Oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Manimals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have Villa Paletti as an option, so how about combining stacking and animals?

Animal Upon Animal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had great luck playing Botswana with my nephews, who are 9 and a precocious 6. It satisfies all your requirements, I think. Uses cards, works from 3-5 players, features animals, and works with kids approximately 8 years old.

J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank's Zoo is a card game with cute animal drawings (I love the mouse in particular). Minimum suggested age is "10 and up" but I've seen/heard of a lot of people who had success playing it with younger kids. You don't have to use the advanced rules, just play as suggested for the first round. Reminds me a bit of UNO, just way more fun and cuter.
Plays 3-7.

Snorta! is a very silly games that involves plastic animals and making animal sounds. More fun with more players, though. It says 3-8 players but I don't think it would be much of a challenge with 3.

From the other suggestions, I think Hey, That's My Fish! (has only penguins and fish as far as animals are concerned) and Animal Upon Animal would work well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Tubman
United States
CLINTON
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweebies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
You have Villa Paletti as an option, so how about combining stacking and animals?

Animal Upon Animal

Hah! That looks like a really cute game. I'll definitely have to take a look at it, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.