jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering getting the basic card game and am curious about the expansions as ordering now would save on shipping. Seems like gollum is getting mixed reviews but carrock seems promising. Is it worth getting just one of the expansions or do all the cards in the cycles build on each other?

I am new to lcg and want to use my money wisely...

Thanks for any tips!

Provence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve F
United States
Lindenhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to retype everything that was in this thread, but there were some really good points in there, so you should go check that out for advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

It seems like either you buy them all or none because the cards build on each other...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm... personally I would disagree with that. Each expansion adds cards that can be used in any decks, even without previous expansions. And each expansion also adds a standalone quest which gives a huge boost in replay value. Sure you won't have every combo that would be possible when you let the expansions build on one another, but I see no reason why you can't just pick and choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Robot
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

This game is incomplete without expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on how often you will play the game. I don't play the game often, and, when I do, it's with different people, so it's going to take awhile before I get "tired" of the core set. Conversely, if you expect to play this game quite often, you will want the expansions for variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sonny sonny
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blorbo wrote:
This game is incomplete without expansions.
i disagree. but with expansions its definitely too expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is loads of fun without expansions but for longlivity it needs expansions. But that is basicly true to any game that evolves around "adventures".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TexMurphy wrote:
The game is loads of fun without expansions but for longlivity it needs expansions. But that is basicly true to any game that evolves around "adventures".

I do agree completely with this statement.
It really depends on how often you play the game. I mean, I can't wait for the next expansions, but that's because I have already played the existing scenarios dozens of times.

The additional heroes and player cards of the new expansions are nice and an improvement to your deck, but not necessary to defeat the scenarios. I think the scenarios of the expansions are beatable with the core set plus the cards of that specific expansion. Thus, no expansion is obligatory for another one.

It depends on what type of player you are: If you tend to go very deeply into a single game, you will probably want all expansions (and a second or even third core set). If you prefer playing several different game and will just play LOTR LCG every once in a while, you don't need any expansion.

If you just want more variation on the scenarios - well, there is so many great fan-made scenarios already, you don't need an expansion for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.