Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question

Our cities are placed...We get to claim domains. First the city, then 3 tiles additionally, but they must be adjacent to at least one other domain hex already chosen. These additional domains were selected one by one, each person taking control of one hex then waiting as the other players choose one hex. (cycling until each player has 4 total hexes)

Well, because of poor placement, my son was able to place his third domain marker in a place that cut me off...leaving me to constrained to only 3 hexes.

Is this legal? Do I start with only 3 hexes...?? Or do we do something different to ensure each player has 4 hexes....?? The rules don't seem to cover this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I reading the rule before if I recall, you take turn place a city and then claim other 3 tiles immediately after placing city.

Your set up is not correct from what I understanding.
I will check the rule again after, may be you are right and I am wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were thinking of a house rule that mandates that not only the city be 1 hex away, but the domains. Unsure how that will wrk out. It may required adding 'extra' hexes to ensure we are able to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:

You can still have problems with choosing 3 tiles initially. In a 4 player game we ran into this issue. Depending on city placement and turn order, you can get squeezed out that way too. I think the english rules need a bit of clarification.

You are right, this problem still can be occur even the method is change.

I believe that my best way to solve this problem when it is happen is to let the last guy who will put all of his domain token last, can freely change the non-occupy border territory to create his own 3 hex of domain by following the old same rule.(hex must be connect with two hex, city hex can't be next each other, etc )

Or, the easier way is just forbid the third guy that he can't place domain that will make the last guy only occupy less than 3 hex.

OR, the most easiest way is just remove all domain marker and city tiles, then let's the players choose again
(You may change the first player token to the left player as a punishment, also ha ha )

P.S.
After reading my post 3 times, I believe the third one is the best solution now, with punishment of course, ha ha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woa, not sure I like this for the last player. Throw's the game into immediate warfare. I'll try before I adjust,however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way the initial board was set up, I could still be boxed out. Under these clarifications, I would have had one territory between my opponents, with my main domain nestled in 3 hexes behind one opponent. (the last guy was 3 hexes away).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
... and we have an official answer

Salkaner wrote:
Everyone one starts with 4 tiles (3 + city)

The issue only happens in English version, cause there is a slight difference in translation.
It's not mandatory (although is almost always useful) that 4 initial tiles should be contiguous. The last player (or even the other) could choose distant tiles...

Have fun!

'Be the sky your only frontier'
Salkaner il Nero

Nice! now the question is solved laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Salkaner wrote:
Everyone one starts with 4 tiles (3 + city)

This is the part that caught my eye. The instructions, and picture, clearly indicate 4 tiles not counting the city. Is it really 3+city? Both the translation AND the picture are wrong???

Edit: Er, maybe Salkaner just meant "domains" instead of "tiles"? Or, each player starts with (controlling) 4 tiles? I assume that's right, but I'll leave this post here just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Also:
pcichigo wrote:
From what I reading the rule before if I recall, you take turn place a city and then claim other 3 tiles immediately after placing city.

That wasn't really addressed in the above comments, from what I could tell. Placing domain markers on three additional hexes immediately after placing a city appears to contradict the English rules, which are clear that all cities are placed before any domain markers. But... the way you describe iit sounds better. Especially for the last player. Alternatively, I think claiming one hex at a time in turn order would be fine. But claiming three hexes each in turn order, after all cities have been placed, seems like the worst option of the lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.