Subject: Tournament Decks - Suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all. So my wife and I are running a board gaming event at the end of October and Jay has given us his blessing to run a Dominion tournament in whatever way we feel is fair.

We're looking at running tables of 4 people, with 5 rounds: 3 preliminary "seeding" rounds, then a semi final and a final.

We'd like to have 5 different sets of Kingdom cards for each round, so what would you suggest? We'll likely be using both the base game and Dominion: Intrigue if we can get enough copies.

Also, we're looking for a tie breaker. In the base game rules, the first tie breaker is whichever player had the fewest turns in the game. We'd like to then say that if scores are still tied, the player with the most provinces wins, then duchies, then shared victory. Does that seem reasonable?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
Hi all. So my wife and I are running a board gaming event at the end of October and Jay has given us his blessing to run a Dominion tournament in whatever way we feel is fair.

We're looking at running tables of 4 people, with 5 rounds: 3 preliminary "seeding" rounds, then a semi final and a final.

We'd like to have 5 different sets of Kingdom cards for each round, so what would you suggest? We'll likely be using both the base game and Dominion: Intrigue if we can get enough copies.

Also, we're looking for a tie breaker. In the base game rules, the first tie breaker is whichever player had the fewest turns in the game. We'd like to then say that if scores are still tied, the player with the most provinces wins, then duchies, then shared victory. Does that seem reasonable?

My suggestion is Random decks from what you have available at each table. Do not publish a list beforehand, as that is a large part of Dominion.

If there is a tie-after-the-offical-tiebreaker in the final, play another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:

My suggestion is Random decks from what you have available at each table. Do not publish a list beforehand, as that is a large part of Dominion.

If there is a tie-after-the-offical-tiebreaker in the final, play another game.

Thanks Chris. We'd definitely want everyone to be on the same playing level, so randomising it for each round would work - but we wouldn't randomise it for each table.

So shared points in every round except for the final? That could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:

Why distort incentives? Keep it a tie if the structure can deal with ties, otherwise flip a coin, winner wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:

Why distort incentives? Keep it a tie if the structure can deal with ties, otherwise flip a coin, winner wins.

Agreed. Don't punish the person with the Duchy strategy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. Fewest turns, then shared victory it is. No coin flips for obvious reasons!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
We'll likely be using both the base game and Dominion: Intrigue if we can get enough copies.

But the Tournament card is in Prosperity Cornucopia!

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
We'll likely be using both the base game and Dominion: Intrigue if we can get enough copies.

But the Tournament card is in Prosperity!

Cornucopia, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Racah
Israel
Tel Aviv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Alternate tiebreaker rule:
Break ties in favor of the player latest in the turn order (among tied players).

This rule simply and elegantly breaks all ties, and is actually fairer than the official rule - it still favors earlier players, but not as much as the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:

Hi David,

My thoughts are similar, randomize the decks each round up until the semi and finals round, keeping the decks the same on the other tables if possible.

But when you hit the semi and the finals you should be re-randomize the cards.

This way it challenges the players to play at the best of there skill with the cards they have.

Just my 2c's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Russell! Yeah, each table will have the same set to keep things as even as possible, but we'll randomise the deck each round. We've already downloaded the iPhone Dominion deck builder app that was made by a fellow BGGer! cool

Rusty1982 wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:

Hi David,

My thoughts are similar, randomize the decks each round up until the semi and finals round, keeping the decks the same on the other tables if possible.

But when you hit the semi and the finals you should be re-randomize the cards.

This way it challenges the players to play at the best of there skill with the cards they have.

Just my 2c's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I just have to learn the game, how about a crash course on the Friday before the event

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty1982 wrote:
Now I just have to learn the game, how about a crash course on the Friday before the event

Haha!

6 weeks to go...and tickets are available on the website.

http://boardgamesbythebay.org.nz/ thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.