Subject: Revalue meeples and tools? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Coffman
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
So I am very new to Stone Age and almost as new to my board game geekdom and if it wasn't for searching for "top rated board games", I may have never found BGG. So this post does not have very much experience behind it, but I have enough math, regression analysis, etc, from school and my job that I am very comfortable with numbers and after scanning this forum tonight something kept striking me as odd about the way tools and meeples are valued.

Now maybe I'm missing something but meeples keep getting a -2 value to keep them, also tools seem to be valued mainly on each tool being seperate. This gives us the widely accepted farm>tools>hut which is fine at the beginning of the game, but shouldn't it be more conditional such that:

a) Beginning:
Farm > Tool > Hut

b) If Farm > Meeples
Hut > Tool > Farm

c) If Tools >=3
Farm > Hut > Tool

If b and c are true then b is still the best choice.
Hut > Tool > Farm

Does this seem accurate from your playing experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily. Your best choice will also vary depending on the cards you've acquired and the strategy you're pursuing...farms lose alot of their value for me around the midpoint of the game (unless you have cards that give you points for farms). I've also found that many times you don't need more than 6 meeples to win the game, although more can be nice to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I struggle with this myself. In simple terms:

Farm = 2 per turn
Tool = 1 per turn
Meeples = -5.5 + 1.5 per turn (or 3.5-2)

Therefore Farm > Hut > Tools

However, after turn 6 or so, due to the initial outlay of 5.5:

Farm > Tools > Hut

BUT, if you happen to acquire a lot of farms, then meeple continue to be worth 1.5. In fact, if you have enough farms or food to where food is not an issue, each meeple is worth 3.5 per turn.

I've seen the best players win with large populations and heavy farming, and with small populations, heavy tools and just enough farming to keep everyone well fed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it depends on the cards and huts that come up and what you need to buy, a lot of people concentrate on resources instead of what scores you points ( cards and huts ).

But it also matters who you are playing and where you are seated, sit by the newb who missed the important cards and it will be easier to win ,

but knowing what cards you have the most of 1/3 of the way through the game also helps you decide what you should get next

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.