Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Dominion, it is my most played game by far for the last 12 months. One problem I did have with it though is that the piles can get a little messy on the table (for my OCD self ), and it is even worse with sleeved cards.

Then I saw ElysiumSA's great Dominion Play Mat, and made my own modified version, here.

The problem was I made it to fit non-sleeved cards, and it wasn't quite right once I got things sleeved. The treasure piles were too high, and tokens couldn't sit on the piles without sliding off. It was also quite large, not easy to chuck in a bag with games. So I started to think about an upgrade.

I thought, I wonder if I could make something out of wood? I learnt from building my Catan Box that storing the entire game in one box was going to make things way too heavy, so I compromised.

(Click through to the image to view in larger size for more detail)

My Dominion Box stores all the common cards (Treasures, Victory & Curse) for 4 players. There is storage under the victory cards for four sets of starting hands (shown in the lower right inset). The ten kingdom cards go in the middle. Under the Kingdom card trays is storage for the mats and tokens (in removable trays) from the expansions. The Potions, Platinums and Colonies can be stored in a space beneath the piles if they are not needed (although I normally just turn the top one over). The bottom of the curse compartment can be moved up and down the pile to ensure the right number of curses are in the Supply.

I'm keeping the Kingdom cards along with the randomisers (for Black Market) and extra base cards from Intrigue (for extra players or a second game) in the Intrigue box using hgzwopjp's awesome slipcases. I have all the expansions currently available, except for Cornucopia, and there is still room for more in there.

I decided not to include space for the Black Market, Bane and Prize piles, as they only come up if specific cards come in to play, and spaces for these would make the whole thing needlessly bigger. If these piles are needed (at the same time as Colony, Platinum and Potion), they can stack beside the box. I also decided not to make a dedicated space for the trash pile, as that seems to work best as just a messy pile on the table.

Super-strong magnets hold it all closed (visible in the top middle image). Everything fits good enough that the contents don't move, even when the box is tipped on its side.

It makes a great game even better in my not-so-humble opinion, and it also makes the game somewhat portable if the table is needed for something less important than gaming, like food. Setup time is also much quicker (just add kingdom cards), and the whole thing can be rotated to the active player (there is felt on the base) to make reading the cards easier.

Cornucopia and Hinterlands don't include any new components, so I'm safe at least until the last two expansions come out in 2012. If they include more stuff, I'll chalk this one up to practice, and make another!

I hope you like it.

Edited to fix minor typos and add comment on setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheree Garratt
New Zealand
Te Awamutu
Waipa District
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a word.....WOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LadyPlayer wrote:
In a word.....WOW!

Thanks Sheree! I'm really happy with it. It was so funny, I was of course prepared for future expansions to have stuff that wouldn't fit - but figured it was worth the gamble. I had literally just finished the box when Hinterlands was announced. I was a little relieved when I read it had no new tokens or mats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was a good idea to leave the trash out (so to speak). I reckon it needs a little mat, though.

Lovely photo too! You might want to make that second picture bigger tho [.... medium inline]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I think it was a good idea to leave the trash out (so to speak). I reckon it needs a little mat, though.

Lovely photo too! You might want to make that second picture bigger tho [.... medium inline]

Thanks Simon, image resized. Everyone seemed suitably impressed at the game meeting on the weekend. Pity I went on to lose 5 consecutive games... Maybe I should put as much time into game strategy as I do at pimping them! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent stuff you did!

Something similar would work perfectly for Thunderstone too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiver & Orthia
New Zealand
Hamilton East
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So very pretty...

Plays like a dream, too. You make me wish I'd done a lot more woodworking in my misspent youth, good sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude.

Lots of people have made storage solutions. This one really stands out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leaxe wrote:
Excellent stuff you did!
Something similar would work perfectly for Thunderstone too.

Thanks! I haven't actually played Thunderstone yet, partially because I'm such an expansion junkie and there is still so much more Dominion to get! shake

Reivthia wrote:
So very pretty...
Plays like a dream, too. You make me wish I'd done a lot more woodworking in my misspent youth, good sir.

Believe me, my woodworking skills are very limited. Certainly the most precision required for anything I've tried to build before!

banyan wrote:
Dude.

Lots of people have made storage solutions. This one really stands out.

blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
This is incredible. With this I'm sure you could convince non-gamers that dominion was a classy and refined game for the wealthy, at least until you pulled out the kingdom cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typpo wrote:
This is incredible. With this I'm sure you could convince non-gamers that dominion was a classy and refined game for the wealthy, at least until you pulled out the kingdom cards.

Thanks! Classy and refined was basically the look I was going for, so glad it worked! I'm considering a companion box for the Kingdom Cards once the last expansion is out, but it may end up being too heavy. For now, I have my Seaside box on standby if the Intrigue one collapses under the weight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Typpo wrote:

Or showed them the descriptions on the boxes... lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kennedy

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is fantastic!

Would you be willing to share some dimensions/measurements of your creation?

I don't have the skill or the tools, but I have a retired friend who has an incredible woodshop, that I'm sure could build one for me. Obviously it won't be cheap, but I understand that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kensboro wrote:
That is fantastic!

Would you be willing to share some dimensions/measurements of your creation?

I don't have the skill or the tools, but I have a retired friend who has an incredible woodshop, that I'm sure could build one for me. Obviously it won't be cheap, but I understand that...

Thanks very much. I don't have too much in the way of plans, and most of the design process was directed by what dimensions of wood I could easily source.

The overall dimensions are 375mm x 220mm x 60mm (when closed) and 375mm x 440mm x 30mm when open.

Feel free to geekmail me for any other specifics you think might be helpful.

red black wrote:
For some reason all of the cool DIY stuff that I've seen on BGG is built for Dominion rather than it's spinoffs.

Looks fantastic.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this and I am tempted to make one myself.

I would be tempted to modify the design:

- Swap the money and Kingdoms. Put the money and VP in the center in their own slots and never move them. That way the 'doors' contain the sloped kingdom cards. Nothing to move when you open the case for gaming.

- Though if I did that, the coins and cards and such would have to go with my Kingdom cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Would you be able to provide guidance on how to replicate this amazing piece of work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jico wrote:
Would you be able to provide guidance on how to replicate this amazing piece of work?

Hi Jed, glad you like it!

The plans I have aren't quite right, as I tweaked the design as I went, but I'll see what I can do. I'm currently waiting to see if Dominion: Dark Ages will mean I will need any modifications!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kennedy

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have someone building this for me out of exotic hardwood.

I'll be sure to post pictures and information when it is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kensboro wrote:

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing it. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McDermott
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
This is simply gorgeous! I'd really like to try my hand at making one, any chance you could post some guidance on how you made it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iam Superman
msg tools
mbmbmb
kensboro wrote:

Has this ever been finished?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kennedy

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He just finished it (these are pictures he sent me).

I won't have it until I return from Pax East, but I'll put up more pictures when I have it in hand.

Note the gap (on the top of the box) between the panels and the frame, is to allow for humidity/expansion/contraction so the box doesn't crack/split.

He also "stepped" the side trays (slightly different from the way the original creator built his), so it's easier to get to the bottom layer of cards with your fingers.

It looks pretty awesome! I can't wait to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kensboro wrote:
He just finished it (these are pictures he sent me).

Wow! That is amazing. Very impressive! Beautiful work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
I'd love to model this in SketchUp so others can use it to build their own. Are design plans or dimensions available?

This layout is simply brilliant! Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohan Partan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Wow, this is way better than my board! Great job! I want one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.