Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple things. First, I would really like to get a CA Driver's license as I am in the business of establishing residency. It makes grad school free next year. So how hard is the written test? I've been studying a bit.

Also, what are good restaurants in the San Diego/La Jolla area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TommyP wrote:
A couple things. First, I would really like to get a CA Driver's license as I am in the business of establishing residency. It makes grad school free next year. So how hard is the written test? I've been studying a bit.

Read the book, and you'll do fine. I've found that most of the people I know who failed, didn't read the book.

There is no good food in San Diego...

*edit* The hardest part about the test? The wait at the DMV. Seriously - schedule it ahead of time on the website. The wait is hideous at the best of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Landstander wrote:
TommyP wrote:

Read the book, and you'll do fine. I've found that most of the people I know who failed, didn't read the book.

Pretty much sums it up. How hard can a multiple choice test be, anyway?

Landstander wrote:

I'd have to disagree. There are plenty of good restaurants in San Diego, especially in the La Jolla and downtown/Gaslamp district. We also have a pretty decent home grown fast food outlet with Rubio's Fish Tacos. The only difficult part is that any really good restaurants here are outrageously expensive. Get used to it.

Landstander wrote:
*edit* The hardest part about the test? The wait at the DMV. Seriously - schedule it ahead of time on the website. The wait is hideous at the best of times.

Amen, Brother! This man speaks Truth.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot - welcome Friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I know somebody who had a similar plan only to head back to WA because the he failed to establish residency and have to pay full tuition for UCLA. I think it have something to do with paying taxes.

Just make sure you know what you are doing good luck.

edit:

http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/residence/establish.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dogzard wrote:
Landstander wrote:

I'd have to disagree. There are plenty of good restaurants in San Diego, especially in the La Jolla and downtown/Gaslamp district. We also have a pretty decent home grown fast food outlet with Rubio's Fish Tacos. The only difficult part is that any really good restaurants here are outrageously expensive. Get used to it.

I wasn't really being serious. San Diego is huge, La Jolla slightly less so - there are tons of good restaurants...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait until you get on the freeways. You will soon realize that if those people could get a license, you can too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chooche wrote:
I know somebody who had a similar plan only to head back to WA because the he failed to establish residency and have to pay full tuition for UCLA. I think it have something to do with paying taxes.

Just make sure you know what you are doing good luck.

edit:

http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/residence/establish.htm

Yeah, the department sent me stuff that I need to file. Even if I didn't work in California this year, I must file some part-time residency form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
The written driver's test isn't too bad. Just get and read the DMV pamphlet before you take it.

Residency for tuition purposes requires 366 days of residency in CA:
http://students.ucsd.edu/finances/fees/residence/criteria.ht...

Can't help with the restaurants. You might ask in the West forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...with an achin', in my heart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyP wrote:

Yelp is your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
We also have a pretty decent home grown fast food outlet with Rubio's Fish Tacos. The only difficult part is that any really good restaurants here are outrageously expensive. Get used to it.

I love fish tacos. I'm going to be in SD this weekend and into next week. I'll need to see if I can find Rubio's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Appointment is required for written or road test. Make appt online at the DMV website. Also, practice tests are available online, so is the booklet.

If you are moving a car to CA it must be registered within 10 days and will require a smog inspection. Penalty is high, but enforcement low. If you are pulled over with a CA license and an out-of-state vehicle you will very much regret it, though. Registration cost is ridiculously high.

In fact, plan for a cost of living increase overall of about 15-20% as soon as you enter the state.

Welcome to the Golden State. I have no idea where the gold goes, but the state is broke and so is nearly everyone who lives here.

-Helen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
dogzard wrote:
We also have a pretty decent home grown fast food outlet with Rubio's Fish Tacos. The only difficult part is that any really good restaurants here are outrageously expensive. Get used to it.

I love fish tacos. I'm going to be in SD this weekend and into next week. I'll need to see if I can find Rubio's.

Yeah, I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a Rubio's...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your looking for good restaurants and your definition of good is lots of ambiance and overpricing...there are plenty of those in San Diego. shake

On the other hand if you are looking for good food we have our share of great small restaurants with really good food and reasonable pricing. While many small restaurants are in the Gaslamp, there are others if you stretch your sight. Las Milpas in the Barrio has a line that goes around the block every day as people can't wait to get their hands on anything from Birria to Burritos. Carooms BBQ off H Street in Chula Vista is a local family shop that serves some really good BBQ (BTW-Kansas City BBQ of Top Gun fame is all show no go). Karina's in Chula Vista has great food and lots of it. One can go on. It just takes some looking off the beaten path. cool

Alas. The only thing lacking in San Diego is a good Puerto Rican restaurant. Andre's is great Cuban food, but it is not the same. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll all be happy to know I passed the California driving test, my complete lack of knowledge about motorcycles notwithstanding.

I am still establishing the fact that I intend to live here. They should be closer to believing me now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
TommyP wrote:
You'll all be happy to know I passed the California driving test, my complete lack of knowledge about motorcycles notwithstanding.

Ah yes, motorcycles are kind of a scourge here. There are laws - and then the cyclists totally ignore them. I had a strange trolley question on my test, too. I think I might've guessed on that one and gotten it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.