Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Rules 1.5 it states

"check the Hit Check box, using all the results that are at or less than the Distance you determined."

I read the "distance determined" as the nearest soldiers range band that applies and is within the modified shooters maximum range, I then apply from this range up to the modified maximum range.

If using inches then modified range would be in inches and would mean that only close range hits would apply as they would be the only ones at or less than the Distance determined.

My recent flurry of questions have been from trying to teach the system to family members, now I have the game on my table, using 1.5 rules version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being close does not mean your long shots don't work.

If you are shooting at short range, you look in both the short AND long rows for results.

If you are shooting at close range, you look in all three rows.
Things get deadlier the closer the range-- and yes, that means you might get more than one hit from a single card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To expand on Kevin's statement about multiple hits, if you are firing short range and short med and long all state hit you can have 3 hits! Also, remember to look for Hit+ when using the appropriate weapon. It can be VERY deadly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been a difficult to understand (rules read) section that I asked about before. It's not that there's difficulty in understanding the concept of getting multiple hit checks at closer ranges, but that it's not actually what the rules as written say.

To determine shooting distance (SHOOT>Distance):
The map squares are used to count short and long ranges; once the action gets close, inches are used for ranges instead of squares.

"To determine distance, lay the ruler on a straight line between the Soldiers involved in the distance check. All squares cut by the line of sight are counted in the distance."

To determine hit checks results (SHOOT>Hit Check):
"Draw from the Action Deck check the Hit Check box, using all the results that are at or less than the Distance you determined."

If the Distance determined is 3", and this is within the Soldier's Close range of 10", then "at or less than the Distance you determined" is still only within the Close range bracket (not in those range brackets that are greater than the Distance determined. Therefore as written, there would not be multiple hits scored.

Conversely, "using all results that are at our less than the Distance you determined" can produce multiple hit checks when the Distance determined is at Long (3 checks - Long, Short,& Close), or Short (2 checks - Short, & Close), but only (1 check) when shooting at Close range (there's no range less than Close listed).

The written Hit Check rule as applied actually produces the opposite result of having more hit checks when shooting at Long range, as opposed to shooting at closer ranges.

I can't read any other result than the one above from how the rules are written now. We can understand the concept of multiple hit checks allowed when firing at shorter ranges, but that's not actually what is written in the rules presently. (?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read that rule I thought, that is backwards, the way it read to me, you get more hits at longer ranges. I understand the way it was meant to be played. The way I see it, if a GI is firing at long range with a M1, he will take his time and aim carefully, maybe getting one hit. If he is firing at close range where it is easier to hit the target he will likely snap off 3 or 4 rounds, thereby possibly hitting the German multiple times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this a big issue with LMG replies, when we point out issues with the rules they seem to be defensive and ignore what we say or ask and instead launch into extra explanations , we are trying to help and achieve clearer rules so that we can teach others.

I didn't ask about the principle of applying multiple hits but that the rules do not state what the designer intends from previous explanations.

Also I was attempting to clarify if hits at a range beyond the adjusted maximum range can be applied or is adjusted range only used to establish initial hit.

Exactly as David and Tom are saying, it may be a case of you know the system so well you are not reading the rules as written but as they are intended.

Please read what we are asking and then check the rules, we cant all be wrong. I know David, myself and others are planning to purchase more items so we are on your side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Starman54 wrote:

I read the "distance determined" as the nearest soldiers range band that applies and is within the modified shooters maximum range.

I then apply from this range up to the modified maximum range.

Maybe I could have worded it better,is this what Jeff intended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I reread the Hit Check rules and I think the issue is that it should say...

Draw from the Action Deck and check the Hit Check box, using all the results that are at or greater than the Distance you determined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo

I checked all the versions and that mistake in wording survived 5 updates...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Billings wrote:
goo

I checked all the versions and that mistake in wording survived 5 updates...

.. and repeated questions on here where all those answering assumed we didnt understand the principle involved , even though we all said we understood the multiple hit theory. I think its common for the brain to read what it expects to see and not actually read whats there ask any cutomer service department and it works both ways , author and reader.

is it up to modified maximum distance or soldiers unmodified distance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.