Manobras de Dados» Forums » General

Subject: questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am assuming on a move a piece may change direction any number of times?

That may be hard to envision/manage, have you thought of restricting it to say 'one change of direction per move'? Just curious

also why two colours of dice for each player?

Overall I am intrigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you for looking into it.

The pieces may indeed change directions freely as long as they respect the rule that forbids backwards movement except for attacking.

The rules are still being worked. I've played a few test games and am working on a second version of the rules. I've had several suggestions for changes and yours is also interesting. I'll test it but at the moment it seems to me it could restrict some of the advantages gained by high rolls... Which is a good thing at first sight. It might also slow the game down, though... I've been noticing that after the first capture or two the game turns kind of frantic. Somehow that feels about right for me... The lines advance cautiously at first but after first blood is drawn, all hell breaks loose.

As for the colours of the dice, that is the result of having used the dice from Troyes for play testing. It currently has no meaning, though I did have a suggestion to use that at the start having the players alternating in choosing a colour group to use (each player would choose two groups of 4 dice).

If you find the time, please play it once or twice and let me know how it goes.

Thanks and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Varying capture strength by side is clever. I just marked "Want to play".

Have I interpreted the rules correctly that all movement potential is determined randomly and kept static throughout the game? This is an extreme comparison, but an army of all 5s is clearly much better than an army of all 1s by virtue of being a superset. Maybe players should get an equal number of pips to spend on setup. (28 or fewer?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
Varying capture strength by side is clever. I just marked "Want to play".

Thank you. Please let me know how it goes if you do play it.

Quote:
Have I interpreted the rules correctly that all movement potential is determined randomly and kept static throughout the game? This is an extreme comparison, but an army of all 5s is clearly much better than an army of all 1s by virtue of being a superset. Maybe players should get an equal number of pips to spend on setup. (28 or fewer?)

Yes. Your interpretation is correct.
This is one of the aspects of the game in which I still have more work to do... The idea was to reduce the random nature of the dice by having them used in a fixed value for a period of time, i.e., their random nature influences the game only at the start. From then on, it should be the placement (strategy) and manoeuvring (tactics) that determine the winner. Clearly, there is a potential unbalance from an extreme result such as what you exemplify and the strategic aspect is not sufficiently present.

I've had a couple of suggestions on that aspect but at the moment I haven't really been having much time to, or felt inspired, to approach the game design again. It's simmering for a bit... So any feedback from people playing it will be helpful.

Thanks again for your interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.