Subject: Shaping Cantrip question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Campbell
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

This came up in a game tonight. The text on Shaping Cantrip says: "REACTION: Cast this spell to return one of your just destroyed creatures to your ready area (at its same level) instead of putting it in the Used Pile"

The manual says that reactions can be cast "at any time during your opponents turn."

Does this mean that you could cast this before the attacker is done dealing all of their damage and block with the same creature again? This could be used to protect a different creature or to use the "Do X when this creature is destroyed" twice in the same turn.

This seems legit, but I'd never thought of using it that way before.

Thoughts?

-VK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No, each Creature can only defend once per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that the spell is only used when a creature is destroyed. Once it is returned to the active pile, it cannot be attacked again by that same player. The next player can attack it though.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Except the rulebook specifically has the defender select an initial creature and resolve its combat first. Then the rulebook has the defender select another if necessary. In this case, I think you could reuse the monster twice in a row. The spell would be useable only once, as once the creature is destroyed the spell can no longer be attached, but the creature can return to combat and now be a candidate for the remainder of the attack.

I really like this interpretation as it makes the spell much more powerful and therefore something to purchase instead of just the biggest creature you can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Graham
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I am Broccoli, most intelligent vegetable!
badge
I will destroy you all!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gastel wrote:
Except the rulebook specifically has the defender select an initial creature and resolve its combat first. Then the rulebook has the defender select another if necessary. In this case, I think you could reuse the monster twice in a row. The spell would be useable only once, as once the creature is destroyed the spell can no longer be attached, but the creature can return to combat and now be a candidate for the remainder of the attack.

I really like this interpretation as it makes the spell much more powerful and therefore something to purchase instead of just the biggest creature you can find.

Even if this were the interpretation, I think it would make the spell much less useful. Sure, if you've got a Pale Defender, using it twice would be cool, but I think the value of this spell is using it on the little guys like Goblins or Assistants. By NOT making them block a second time, they escape death and conceivably survive to score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Gastel wrote:

According to the FAQ:

Quote:
Q) Combat timing of the following: Shaping Cantrip: REACTION. Cast this spell to return one of your just destroyed creatures to your ready area (at its same level) instead of putting it in the used pile and Ghostly Spirit: When Ghostly Spirit is destroyed, you may cull 1 Basic Quiddity to return Ghostly Spirit to your Ready Area (for free).

A) The following rule is added: You only assign damage once to a creature per combat. So while the creatures are returned during the combat phase, they are "safe" and/or cannot use their destroyed ability more than once per combat. Leftover damage is lost.

So as I said in the first response, "No."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.