Subject: The Mortar - does it work like grenades or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poniske the younger
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So the Mortar is the only weapon card other than grenades that explicitly states in its persistent effect that it targets an area. In the grenades rule is says grenades cannot be used in a Guard action ostensibly because it is not targeting a model it is targeting a space.

Does this mean that it also cannot be used during a guard action?

ALSO Both the mortar and Grenade ignore cover in the targeted space (thereby eliminating the draw back for out of range shots) but the grenade is explicitly stated not being allowed to target a space out side it's printed range making bonus dice a non-issue.

Does this mean that the Mortar also cannot be fired beyond it's printed range?

It seems to me that both weapons should be treated pretty much the same with the only difference between them being stats, Icon effect, and that the mortar uses Ammo tokens. I could use some input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
For the second question, I'd say thematically you can't use a grenade past its printed range because you can only throw so far. The Mortar you can angle differently to go further, but perhaps be less accurate over a greater distance.

Personally, I have been using it like a weapon, not like a grenade, because it doesn't state anywhere that you should be using it like a grenade. Intuition may point that way, but the rules don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah mortars can be launched. I agree with Dexter345

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville Vuorio
Finland
Porvoo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the second question. The mortar ignores cover but not defense dice. All figures get their defense dice as normal but not from cover spaces (the 1 or 2 dice).
Firing beyond the mortars range still gives the defender extra dice.

Atleast, those are my thoughts and I don't even have the game yet, so take my thoughts as they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-The mortar works exactly as it says on the card--namely that it can be used as a guard (because nothing says it can't) and that it can be fired out of range (because nothing says it can't).
-The extra defense dice to which you refer for firing out of range occur regardless of cover, so the two have nothing to do with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.