Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking to put together a monthly gaming group in Indiana, PA to get together on a Saturday or Sunday.

Do have a couple of Indiana gamers that I've played with, but they are not always available.

Definitely open to others looking to game and have an enjoyable time.

Stop in and say Hi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Just an update to say we've got a group of 5-6 Indiana, PA gamers that get together once a month, but would love to hear from others and others near us as some would like to meet more than once a month and welcome playing with others.

Moroever, if we get more than 6 at one of our game days, we'll divide up into 2 or more tables.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,

Hello! I'm Greg's brother in law. Enjoy your game night this weekend. I lent Greg Battlestar Galactica and the Resistance to play. You may want to read up on the rules ahead of time to help him explain it.

Wish I could be there! Enjoy!

Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rock Photo Star wrote:

Just an update to say we've got a group of 5-6 Indiana . . .

Just an update to say that the group has now grown to a dozen plus people if everyone would show up at once. At the January monthly game night, 8 people showed up. Besides the monthly game nights, people email each other about getting together in between. Last weekend, five of us got together.

Always open to more. Especially would like to get a good dependable core of four or five people that are up for meeting in between the monthly get together.

Look for a geek list soon talking about the get together and games we've played and the members of the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Decker
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I recently relocated here from Phoenix, Arizona, where I played every Friday evening in a gaming group. Would like to check out yours. Please advise me as to place and time. Thanks.

Harry Decker
hdeckeraz@aol.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
wizbeeman wrote:
I recently relocated here from Phoenix, Arizona, where I played every Friday evening in a gaming group. Would like to check out yours. Please advise me as to place and time. Thanks.

Harry Decker

Great to hear from you. Sent you an email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how far Indiana is from Altoona, but I am looking for some groups to play a few games with. I'm new to this type of boardgaming, but you can see my (small, but growing) collection. I love a mix of fun party, dungeon crawlish board/card, but am open to probably more if they can be explained easily enough during first run.

I'm not sure how far Indiana is from Altoona, but if there are any players close to here looking for games, I might be interested. I am a 38 year old male, married, with a 6 (almost 7) year old daughter. I am on disability due to complications of a surgery related to ulcerative colitis, but I try not to let that stop me from getting out and having some social fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Campbell
United States
Lake Worth
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool that you found a group.
I used to live near Indiana, PA in Homer City and growing up it was near impossible to find other gamers.

I wish you lots of good gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In re-reading my post, I don't think I made it clear though that I AM interested in attending a Saturday night in Indiana, as I think it's only about an hour away from Altoona. As I was going to drive to State College for their GAPS (Gaming Association of Penn State), Indiana shouldn't be too much further. And GAPS hasn't gotten back to me, can't seem to find any information on whether or not they still meet or where (I know it's on campus, on Fri/Sat nights, but that's all I know as I was not a student there).

If anyone could send me some info on where the location is in Indiana, and whether or not you'd be interested in showing an old dog some new games (as I really have never played these types of boardgames before, at all), I'll see if I can make arrangements to attend the next meeting

To give a little background - one of my fave games currently is Elder Scrolls:Omens on Android. I have been wanting to try the "real" game of that as well, and may be purchasing that. I have tried Carcassonne, but I don't seem to fully "get" it, and thus am always spanked by the AI. Don't laugh, but I have played a good bit of "Hey, That's my Fish!" with my daughter...lol. For some reason though, give me one like Hero Mages or a turn based strategic rpg (or board game variant) and I seem to be ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bill,

Indiana is about 45-50 minutes. Just a little more than State College.

Will be sending you an email about the Indiana group. One idea though. Have you thought about contacting the VA hospital there and volunteering to come over and play board games with patients as a well of visiting them and boosting morale.

It's something that I've been wanting to do and would be such a good thing to do. If you did that, I can't say I would be able to come up every time but would look to regularly come up and join and help you, including help you get started.

Think about that as that's a huge group of people right by you that you could introduce gaming to [as well as you get to play regularly] and the games you are playing would be great introductions for them.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't thought of that, I'll give a look into that in the next few weeks and see.

Indiana isn't too far then, if it's an hour or slightly under. I would definitely be good with that.

So far here locally, I keep getting turned down or generally ignored for board games. I have one group that works with my wife that does drinking games, but I don't drink much (due to medical issues) so I have avoided that. Another of her co-workers asked about Monopoly, but that is one of my most hated games...lol. I offered however, that I would play Monopoly if they were open to possibly try Ticket to Ride or some other game (Which I offered to buy the one that they preferred), but they balked at the idea of anything other than Monopoly. There was a game at Gatehouse where people play colored symbol cards, match them up and then somehow that leads occasionally to a "race for the totem", I guess first person to grab it gets points or something. My wife was interested in that, and said some of her work friends might like it. I may pick that up, and then hope to introduce them to something else eventually. If I mention Werewolf, Zombies, Fantasy, or anything having to do with politics or strategy/unit placement, they all shut the hearing off...lol.

It's tough for me to introduce new people on much at the moment, as I'm still new and learning myself and don't have a large collection (or variety, honestly, which I really want to work on). And I've been investing so much time recently on Thunderstone and ZOMBIES!!! I haven't tried much else other than Ticket to Ride yet. I'm waiting on purchasing more games until I have tried them first, and see if I truly like the mechanics before throwing down the cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games that I am most interested in at the moment are Mage Knight and Small World. Mage Knight is so expensive though, that I can't justify spending the money on that until I've seen it and tried it for myself. And Small World, would require that I have people interested in playing it at all times (whereas at least Mage Knight could be used solo as well as multi), so I have hesitated on that one thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to post again, but wanted to let everyone know that I'm currently working on organizing a group to meet in Altoona, PA at least once a month. Right now it's more gateway/traditional oriented games, but I am working to support as many types as possible. I myself am new to this and still learning even the games I have (Although I'm familiar enough to teach the base mechanics, with a few rules references here and there, for games like ZOMBIES!!! and FLUXX). I would like to coordinate this around the Indiana group, so that people have even more options throughout the month if they are interested (And so they hopefully don't overlap).

I'm also trying to gauge interest in family-oriented gaming days, where couples with kids could get together and enjoy more lighter/sillier fare with maybe a BBQ/potluck kind of deal. I have a thread on the formation of this group, which I will be updating with specifics as I get them together. Right now I am hoping to get tables at Barnes and Nobles for use. You can find the thread here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/780446/altoona-pa-gaming...

Hope to hear from some of you!

--Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
UPDATE 6/5/12

Our core group has gone from gaming monthly to gaming almost every week - Friday or Saturday.

Still open for more gamers.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
UPDATE 9/16/12

We now have a good core of 4 regular gamers plus a another handful of other occasional gamers.

As always, still welcome others.

Popular games among the group, include:

- 7 wonders
- Battlestar Galactica
- King of Tokoyo
- Coloretto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.