Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,
I looking for a 5 players game, that would not take too long (45 min max, it's for lunch time) but would still be intereting (No Thanks is a nice game but not what I'm looking for).
As it's for lunch time, a game not too fidly would be prefered.
Hint: I didn't like For Sale

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Paso
Samurai
Carcassonne
Ticket to Ride
Through the Desert

or if you want it even lighter

Saboteur
TransAmerica
Way of the Dragon
Pickomino

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders sounds perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
I had 7 wonders, and I agree it totally fits what I descibed, but unfortunately, we found that it really lack of interaction and fun.

Samurai is not a 5 players game
Caracasonne is not recommended at all for 5 players
Ticket to ride is ok, but it a bit too long, and not that strategic
I tried trough the desert and though it wasn't very fun either
Saboteur is very cool indeed, but really on the light side.
I don't know the others, I'll have a look

I though about Mü & More

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eketorp
fits all your criteria.

I'd also recommend the following 3; they have list times of 60 minutes but a group that knows the rules I think could easily get a game finished in 45 minutes:
Ra
Oasis
Isla Dorada

I'd consider all of the above short, meaty, yet not fiddly, and play great if not best with 5 (a tall order! devil )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tough parameters.

Money! is a good blind bidding set collection game. I get a lot of requests from friends to play it. It's not heavy, but does have some depth and reading of other players.

Sneaks & Snitches is a really neat game where there are treasures on the table listed A through H (fewer with less players) and you have to play two face down cards, say A and D, so that you try to steal from A and have snitched on the D location. You have to guess what you can get away with stealing by reading your opponents, and try to block them with your snitch. It has interesting scoring, and I highly recommend this game. Again not HEAVY, but there is a great aspect of "should I take the most expensive thing, or will they block me? or will they block the less expensive thing thinking there is no way I would go for the most expensive thing?"

The Speicherstadt is the only other one I have that I'd recommend, and it's good but not fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks a lot for all the recommendations!
Ra was indeed on my list of games to test for this configuration, I don't know the others, I'll have some reading to do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for The Speicherstadt, that pretty much perfectly fits your criteria.

I think Colossal Arena does 5, although I could be misremembering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Sneaks & Snitches looks very interesting as a little fun game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weiss
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want more interaction, try Hansa Teutonica. After a couple of plays, you'll be able to play it in 45 mins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
I think The Resistance is great at five, assuming all five players are of the same skill level. If everyone is really good at this game, it's incredibly meaty. Billed as a party game, anything but. Will play in 45 minutes, but my 5p games tend to take anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes these days.

Other than that, I'm thinking based on your criteria and dislike of For Sale (because it's an auction game?) then Isla Dorada, Ra, and Chicago Express won't work. I was thinking Santiago until I read you didn't like For Sale, as it too is auctions. All of those auction games are much deeper than For Sale, especially Chicago Express, in any case, though I personally disliked Isla Dorada greatly and traded it away. I think Ra is quite great as well.

Maybe try Intrigue? Lots of player interaction there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

The only meaty thing about Pickomino is it's theme about chickens eating worms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading about Fairy Tale recently. Should have more interaction than 7 Wonders, but maybe not enough. I don't know how meaty it is (and there seems to be a dispute about that in the forums).

Race for the Galaxy with an expansion, if you're up for the learning curve. Even after learning the game, I never really enjoyed it, so I can't give it a whole-hearted recommendation.

When it comes out, Flash Point: Fire Rescue might fit, if you're ok with a cooperative game.

Bombay is probably a bit too long (~60 minutes with 5) and perhaps a bit fiddly with the setup and the bits. Same for Notre Dame, but both are solid games that are worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Sjolte
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is posible to play Dominion with 5 players if you add Dominion: Intrigue, but it doesn't have much player interaction either.

A game with lots of player interaction and meat to it, that you could play in 45 minutes once you know it is Tribune: Primus Inter Pares. You can choose if you want to play a short, medium or long game when you set up the game. If you want to get done in 45 minutes you have to go with the short game. Tribune has some tokens though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my recommendation to Santiago, Ra and The Speicherstadt, all great games with some meat on them, playing well for 5 players in under 60 minutes.

I'd also suggest Pandemic with Pandemic: On the Brink. It also plays under 60 minutes, and if you're into co-op it doesn't get much better than this in such a short time, with 5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Yes we enjoyed a lot pandemic, great recommandation, but we played it a lot already
I'm afraid that Santiago might be a bit too long, but I definitely have a look.
I liked Dominion, but it's really a pain to travel with in the transports
Race for the Galaxy has the be an awesome suggestion. I tried it, and didn't like because of the lack of interaction. But I guess I should give it another shot.
Intrigue could fit teh bill, I like backstabbing ^^
We played The Resistance a lot, and it's indeed awesome. And it generally last around 20 minutes only!
Thanks a lot guys! I'm sure I'll find something to pickup in all those propositions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps357 wrote:
Race for the Galaxy has the be an awesome suggestion. I tried it, and didn't like because of the lack of interaction. But I guess I should give it another shot.

I have heard that Glory to Rome is similar but has a lot more direct interaction. Another tableau game with more interaction might be Barons. Both support 5+ players and claim to play in 60 minutes, but I haven't read any reports of actual play times for either game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Rheinländer. Fast, tense, and quite nasty with a full five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for The Speicherstadt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Carlough
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounters? It's great fun as a social game, tons of interaction, but is very luck-dependent and less strategy.

Maybe Race for the Galaxy but it depends how slow people are. I prefer 2p race as it plays a lot faster & smoother

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Many games I'd recommend have been mentioned, but I'll put a +1 behind both Fairy Tale and Glory to Rome. Fairy Tale might have a touch less interaction than you're looking for on the surface, but the interaction also comes from hate-drafting. A much deeper game than I feel many credit it for.

To add a new title, I'll suggest Midgard. A drafing area control game. Plenty of viable strategies to go for, very tactical card play, and LOTS of player interaction. It might take a few plays to knock it down to 45 mins but it can easily be done in that time. Maybe for the first couple games just play two rounds instead of three. this will familiarize the gameplay and what the cards do (cards only do a few different things)

I assume you can't leave a game set up, but how excellent it would be if you could play a turn of dominant species per day. are there any games that would work as a multi-day setup without having to physically leave the game out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
That's one of the problems, I don't have the oportunity to do the few plays that will allow to get below 45mins as I'm only playing at work with those persons.
I love Glory to Rome, but I was worry that it might take longer than 45 min with 5 peoples.

I'll have a look at midgard, I love cards, drafting and area control! so what's not to like
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've had an idea for speeding up midgard. Rather than eliminating a round all together, simulate a first round. Don't draft the packs just deal them, players choose 4 cards and the order they happen in then just go around the table resolving cards. This could be too random but I feel the real MEAT in midgard is the second and third rounds, so having a set up board to work from is important. Alternatively you could each just place 4 vikings around the board and start in the second round. I was just thinking of only playing a 2 round game and it would be radically different without some sort of setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zalco wrote:
Markus Hagenauer wrote:

The only meaty thing about Pickomino is it's theme about chickens eating worms.

If you want a game with a similar dice-rolling component, try King of Tokyo. Also probably not super meaty but lots of fun.

I also just picked up Lords of Scotland, looks like there can be some depth in that game, plus it's super portable and really cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another +1 here for Ra - we've played this many times in our lunch break at work. Its playable in 45 mins and is a fantastic 5 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.