Subject: Game balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete White
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always felt that it was impossible for the Allies to win this game given competent German play. The Germans can milk the good guys for victory points by :
- sacrificing units to temporarily block the road
- farming airborne units

The airborne farm was particularly amusing. If you can capture a drop zone, you get 3VPs per turn per unit in the division, so you have a huge incentive to keep them alive until you have built up hundreds of VPs. However, even one turn with a German on the road would virtually win the game for them.

Before you all dive in, I haven't played this game in 25 years, and it was the first wargame I ever played as a teenager, so maybe I just hadn't got Allied play figured out well enough when I gave up on it (after dozens and dozens of plays).

Nostalgia... this was a fantastic game, simple and yet subtle, and it led to me losing probably years of my life to wargaming!

Anyway, any comments? Do I have to dig it out of the cupboard and find out, or would anybody like to tell me if they agree?

Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I used to think the Germans had a definite advantage in this game. But the game action is compelling so we kept on playing. Lately, and completely ahistorically, we have been playing with very agressive allied strategies. We still haven't seen an Allied win. However...

..in our current Play By Mail game an Allied Forces victory looks likely and depends on holding the Vehgel-Grave highway which is under intense pressure from a German attack southeast of Grave along the Maas River. 30 Corps is 2 hexes from linking with 1/1 trapped in Arnhem and German troops are being crushed against the Neder Rijn.

Nijmegen was freed in a coordinated operation between the 82nd Airborne and the Red Devils. Moving OOC gave up some points to the German although not enough to win the game.

The German response sending troops to the action south of Arnhem has eliminated the option for the German to over run the British drop zone. Oosterbeek is solidly in British hands and the Red Devils will be coordinating attacks with 30 Corps.

This game will be won or lost based on the outcome of the battles for the Vehgel-Grave highway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem Ruggera
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools

I'd love to know what happened here?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
That game ended with a failed German offensive push to cut the road North of Uden and South of Grave, out of safe support range of the 101st and 82nd airborne. The Germans got within1 hex of the road a couple of times but were finally pushed back for good after I withdrew part of 30 Corps from the Arnhem area to blunt the attack.

We really like this game and my esteemed German opponent and I started another game as soon as this one was over. He wanted another try at my allied strategy. We do use Cyberboard, but we play Arnhem via snail mail.

I'll try to post a photo of the current game board later as his German relief column is heading west through the Peel Marshes West of Oploo. It looks like he wants to take back Eindoven! Is that your plan Tommy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge

Current poaition in snail mail Arnhem game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.