Subject: The Rugby World Cup - How Do You Think Your Team Will Do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Wales

Wales have a nice, gentle start to their world cup campaign … by going up against the freakin’ world champions South Africa! We’ve got a really tough group. The boys in red have only beaten the Springboks once so you’d have to say that South Africa are the favourites. Despite that, I’m hopeful Wales can beat ‘em. We’ve run them close the last few times we’ve played. Ok, they might not have been full-strength Springbok teams but when are injury-ravaged Wales ever at full strength? Still, it’s going to be a baptism by fire.

Samoa and Fiji are both going to be tough (Samoa looking the tougher of the two). Both these teams are capable of beating Wales (as they’ve shown in previous World Cups!) but I think Wales should get the better of them.

The only pool game I’m completely confidant of is Namibia. They’re going to be rough and tough but I’m sure we’ll get a win over them. There was a great quote on the BBC Sports page about Namibian flanker Schalk Van der Merwe – “Another tireless flanker, his commitment on the pitch in 2003 was matched by his fearlessness off it – he once head-butted a lion to get it to release a baboon.”

I’m fairly confidant Wales will get out of its pool. Perhaps a win against South Africa is too much to ask for, so assuming they’re second in the pool they’ll probably end up facing Australia. There’ve only been six previous Rugby World Cup tournaments and Australia have won two of them, so this is going to be another toughie. Then again, we beat the Ozzies a couple of years ago and in the games we’ve played since then it’s not like they’ve completely dominated us so we’ve got a chance.

Beyond the quarterfinals, who knows? I’m going to go out on a limb and say Wales will finish in the top four! Should you put money on this prediction? Hell no!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about the Springboks, they are a bunch of nancy boys (yes I will change my login ID shortly).
OK seriously, the Boks did not play well in the Tri Nations so if Wales is smart they should put the boot in while they are down.
You might be us Aussies, we are young and cocky but our fly half can't tackle so if you get your boys to run at him you'll do alright.
The All Blacks have just lost 2 games in a row in the Tri Nations, so they are quietly freaking out they are gonna choke in another world cup, I hope so !
My money is on England, Johnny is back ! We don't like Johnny very much, he spoils our parties.
But if the Wallabies are gonna lose the world cup, I'd be happy to lose to Wales
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
cry
Portugal isnt there.
cry

I dont know, this has the possibility to be one great World Cup.
I am not very confident on the European teams, and I think that Argentina and South Africa are weaker then four years ago.

My crazy wild guess, Australia beats New Zealand in the final. If either of them pass beyond the quarter finals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
USA

uh, just glad to be there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
Don't worry about the Springboks, they are a bunch of nancy boys (yes I will change my login ID shortly).
OK seriously, the Boks did not play well in the Tri Nations so if Wales is smart they should put the boot in while they are down.
You might be us Aussies, we are young and cocky but our fly half can't tackle so if you get your boys to run at him you'll do alright.
The All Blacks have just lost 2 games in a row in the Tri Nations, so they are quietly freaking out they are gonna choke in another world cup, I hope so !
My money is on England, Johnny is back ! We don't like Johnny very much, he spoils our parties.
But if the Wallabies are gonna lose the world cup, I'd be happy to lose to Wales

Australia are looking pretty awesome at the moment. That win over the All Blacks in the Tri Nations decider was one of the best games of rugby I've seen in ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
USA

I had no idea the USA had a team. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abreu wrote:
cry
Portugal isnt there.
cry

I dont know, this has the possibility to be one great World Cup.
I am not very confident on the European teams, and I think that Argentina and South Africa are weaker then four years ago.

My crazy wild guess, Australia beats New Zealand in the final. If either of them pass beyond the quarter finals.

I'm really looking forward to this world cup, I think it's going to be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
USA

USA vs Russia on Thurs 15th. Could be a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
USA

Here's the low down on your team (reigning Olympic champions no less) from the same BBC article I quoted earlier:

Coach: Eddie O'Sullivan. The ex-Ireland coach endured a disastrous campaign in 2007 with his former charges. Back for his second stint as Eagles coach, he is under less pressure this time.

Captain: Todd Clever. Hard-grafting flanker with a surprising turn of pace, honed on the international sevens circuit. Has Super 15 experience, now playing in Japan.

Star turn: Takudzwa Ngwenya. Zimbabwe-born Biarritz winger, 26, is one of the world's fastest players. A rookie last time when he stunned South Africa, the USA know they have a finisher.

World Cup legend: Takudzwa Ngwenya. Scored the try of the tournament at France 2007, burning off Bryan Habana - then rated the world's finest wing - on the outside for a truly spectacular score.

Did you know? The USA may not have much of a World Cup record but they are the reigning Olympic champions, having won the last time the sport was part of the Games in 1924.

Prospects: The clash with Russia is the USA's World Cup final. Anything more than a victory there would be a seismic shock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
USA

Here's the low down on your team (reigning Olympic champions no less) from the same BBC article I quoted earlier:

Coach: Eddie O'Sullivan. The ex-Ireland coach endured a disastrous campaign in 2007 with his former charges. Back for his second stint as Eagles coach, he is under less pressure this time.

Captain: Todd Clever. Hard-grafting flanker with a surprising turn of pace, honed on the international sevens circuit. Has Super 15 experience, now playing in Japan.

Star turn: Takudzwa Ngwenya. Zimbabwe-born Biarritz winger, 26, is one of the world's fastest players. A rookie last time when he stunned South Africa, the USA know they have a finisher.

World Cup legend: Takudzwa Ngwenya. Scored the try of the tournament at France 2007, burning off Bryan Habana - then rated the world's finest wing - on the outside for a truly spectacular score.

Did you know? The USA may not have much of a World Cup record but they are the reigning Olympic champions, having won the last time the sport was part of the Games in 1924.

Prospects: The clash with Russia is the USA's World Cup final. Anything more than a victory there would be a seismic shock.

Thank you. Rugby gets no attention at all in the USA. I'll have to see if the game will be televised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
USA

I hope they win against Russia.
Georgia, Russia and Romania where the portuguese "nemesis" and I vow for their defeats.

But I dont think they will bow down easily, if they manage to resist the US attackers Russia can take charge of the game. Still they arent unbeatable so I will say: Go USA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
panzer-attack wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
USA

Thank you. Rugby gets no attention at all in the USA. I'll have to see if the game will be televised.

have a look at the try of the 2007 WC by ye newe US of A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
USA

Supposedly it will be televised somewhere but who knows... I hope to catch it. Just another moment of brilliance like we got in '07 will be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
panzer-attack wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
USA

Supposedly it will be televised somewhere but who knows... I hope to catch it. Just another moment of brilliance like we got in '07 will be great.

You might find this usefull:

Quote:
United States & Territorries
NBC Universal
3 matches (including Finals) premiering on NBC
7 matches (including USA pool matches) premiering on Universal Sports
38 matches premiering on pay-per-view

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/newsid=2042464.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
mbScotlandmb
Been a Scotland fan for over 15 years now and it has been tough.
Fortunately Argentina has not been as good as they were 4 years ago so I think Scotland will reach the QF.

In the QF they will meet the Kiwi's.

I love the Kiwi's! I hope they will be nice to the Scots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
Scotland
Been a Scotland fan for over 15 years now and it has been tough.
Fortunately Argentina has not been as good as they were 4 years ago so I think Scotland will reach the QF.

In the QF they will meet the Kiwi's.

I love the Kiwi's! I hope they will be nice to the Scots.

First let me say thumbsup for your Avatar.
As for Scotland...
I think its the toughest group. Georgia although not a "favorite" like Scotland as some pretty good players and they might pull a surprise.
And even if I think England and Argentina are weaker Scotland wont have an easy task ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweden = fails at rugby.

Not much notice at all, although it feels like it is increasing. They acctualy broadcast Sweden vs Norway on a sports channel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:

Supposedly it will be televised somewhere but who knows...

Or on your PC. And don't mind the whole burning in hell aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
vandemonium wrote:

Supposedly it will be televised somewhere but who knows...

Or on your PC. And don't mind the whole burning in hell aspect.

Thanks!
Been looking at where to watch live online for some time.
If Justin.tv doesn't work I'll try this.

No, I don't feel bad about watching that way, this is the only way to watch the matches live in the Netherlands.
The only other option we have is watching highlights on the rugbyworldcup site or maybe full matches really long delayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We drew the All Blacks and France shake, although I think that our team is underrated it will be a challenge to get out of the first round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
England have got a pretty good chance. I dunno how many games I'll watch, but I'll try to catch one or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Australia play every game like the last one than they will be unbeatable

Australia v NZ final and it will be anyone's guess but NZ at home should be unstoppable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should get through the 'pool' phase, as runner up behind Australia. After that, who knows? We've lost the last four international games, against Scotland, England and France (twice), but anything is possible if we get fired up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An even better and more exciting 'world cup' final happened on Sunday, with Kilkenny beating Tipperary 2-17 to 1-16 to regain their crown. What am I talking about? The All Ireland Senior Hurling Final, of course:-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Britten
United Kingdom
Newark
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elirlandes wrote:
An even better and more exciting 'world cup' happened on Sunday, with Kilkenny beating Tipperary 2-17 to 1-16 to regain their crown. What am I talking about? The All Ireland Senior Hurling Final, of course:-

I was kind of annoyed when Channel 4 in the UK stopped doing their GAA round up show. I quite liked watching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.