Race for the Galaxy: Alien Artifacts» Forums » General

Subject: Plot Speculation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing about race that I love is the overarching but not explicitly detailed plot.

It is mostly played out in the cards, for instance the base game comes with many gene worlds like AVIAN UPLIFT RACE that were already uplifted by the long departed ALIEN species at locations like the ALIEN UPLIFT CENTRE. As the plot unfolds across RVI and BRINK the galactic powers research these races in order to unlock the UPLIFT CODE while competing with (and utilizing the help of) more unsavoury powers such as those who run the CLANDESTINE UPLIFT LAB.

(this is my interpretation your's and Tom's might well differ!)

How do you see the plot of ALIEN ARTIFACTS developing?

For me it is something along the lines of,

As the Galactic powers approached THE BRINK OF WAR and the IMPERIUM struggled to complete its IMPERIUM PLANET BUSTER (VORLON PLANET KILLER, DEATH STAR) the ALIEN RESEARCH TEAM finally struck it lucky after years of seraching; a world rich with unscathed alien technology!

Picking their way through the wreckage, a colossal ALIEN GUARDIAN confronted the researchers and forced them into retreat. Word of this discovery spread; in time a breakaway galactic power defeated the ALIEN GUARDIAN and found an ALIEN DEPARTURE POINT it had protected, a means of galactic travel unparalleled by contemporary technology.

Researching the ALIEN DEPARTURE POINT generated much PRESTIGE for the power that held it; making use of it by slingshot ships to the far reaches of the galaxy on scouting missions. This was only the tip of its significance however.

After the ALIEN DATA REPOSITORY was cracked open using the ALIEN ROSETTA STONE WORLD. The coordinates to which the ALIENS had departed was found! The UNIVERSAL PEACE INSTITUTE declared the ALIEN DEPARTURE POINT a location of scientific significance allowing all parties to study it. The galactic powers prepared new expeditions to send through the ALIEN DEPARTURE POINT in pursuit. After jumping to this unexplored portion of the galaxy, the young powers were not confronted with living ALIENS, instead they found a veritable necropolis sector of the ALIEN civilization ripe for exploration...

How do you guys think the plot gets set up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun speculation, but Alien artifacts is a different story arc from all the other expansions to date. In other words, it will pick up where the base game leaves off, and go in a different direction from Gathering Storm, Rebel vs. Imperium, and Brink of War.

I seem to remember that Tom Lehman has revealed some information about the "plot" somewhere on these forums, and it basially focuses on exploring the lost alien precursor civilization (along the lines of Pohl's Gateway saga).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While the "canon material" we know from the first 3 exp went one way, another group went another part of the galaxy and explored the AA thingy (with their own deck of RftG cards no less ). Perhaps later whistle (nah, wishful thinking from some to make the 2 story arcs compatible gameplay-wise ). Things probably didn't work out, the AA was abandoned, and we moved on to TGS instead.

Funny how one paragraph in the rulebook/box back stirs up all these disucssions eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RoboThayne
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmbmb
Whatever the plot, I like your creative writing and speculation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.