Subject: Difficulty level? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering out loud, and I can't really tell just from reading the rules..

Will this game still remain a challenge for the Taoists, if the Wu-Feng player is not playing well? Or would it be an easy win for the players?

Anyone able to comment on the balance here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are plenty of ways in which a particularly benevolent or incompetent Wu-Feng might make the game less hard on the players. The placement of ghosts, for example, might mean the difference between being able to reach them for a crucial exorcism or not. Taking away ladders might deny monks easy access to the catacombs, or it might just mean nothing at all. That being said, I chose my words carefully: "less hard". Wu Feng has no beneficial actions at his disposal, so bad stuff will happen to the taoists all game long. It's just the difference between some random, uncoordinated violence, and nasty, out-to-get-you spite.

Also, I think that for the most part, unless the Wu-feng player has significantly less experience with the game than the taoists, he should more or less be able to assess the better choices for screwing with them. Anyone who has played the game knows that taoists like weak ghosts on corners, so as to get a 2-for-1 exorcism. Well, deny them this opportunity. Haunters can help push villagers to the portal. Don't let them, place them elsewhere.

The new elements are harder to judge (especially since we don't yet know the available curses, bloody mantras, etc.), but I do think that anyone with a decent knowledge of the game could put up a solid dark lord assault. And if they don't have that experience, what are they doing playing with this expansion anyway, especially in the puppy-kicking driver's seat? Let them be taoists, or play the base game a few times to catch them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.