Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this is a fine line though. Lets say a publisher has a card game with some chits. Do you shove into a tichu box (prolly double depth)? Or do you spread out into a race for the galaxy box?

what is you the consumers take? $15ish bucks for a card game and plastic chits in a tichu-ish box vs $22ish in a race box and nice punch out chits or even wood pieces?

I prefer the bigger box and nicer chits, but if the game COULD have fit in a card game box are you mad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
I prefer the bigger box and nicer chits, but if the game COULD have fit in a card game box are you mad?

Mad is a very hard word. But yes, it upsets me. I would have vastly prefered RftG to come in a Tichu-size box, rather than the huge overpriced box it came in. A smaller box keeps the price lower, and it makes what is ultimately a card game much more portable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compromise and put it in a Fantasy Flight Small Box Games size.

Either way, I dislike boxes with lots of wasted space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like nice bits, but I value my shelf space too. If a game can be made playable without being horribly ugly with some cardboard bits and a smaller box, go for it. There have been a couple games that the over sized box made me shake my head, but never got mad about it.

There's a balance to be made with price vs. pretty. Too much pretty and the value suffers. Too cheap and the game can suffer from crappy bits that break too easily or are just plain ugly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
I like nice bits, but I value my shelf space too. If a game can be made playable without being horribly ugly with some cardboard bits and a smaller box, go for it. There have been a couple games that the over sized box made me shake my head, but never got mad about it.

There's a balance to be made with price vs. pretty. Too much pretty and the value suffers. Too cheap and the game can suffer from crappy bits that break too easily or are just plain ugly.
I feel like there is a little bit of what can we get away with. If the game is very good let's box it big and charge more even though it could fit in a small box. I admit I also percieve the big box to be "better"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
For me, the lower the price the better. I love small games that still have weight to them.

A game that got the quality vs. size right? Mr. Jack Pocket. Nice solid pieces in a tiny, very portable, box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
As someone who primarily buys used games and has to keep shipping costs in mind, boxes like RftG are so irritating. I understand the marketing decision behind them, but paying to post something that's 66% empty isn't something I like to do, board games already cost enough to ship due to weight. Likewise when I do order new games, I'm sure the vendor who is offering a "free shipping" ceiling for me to hit hates it even more. I wish the industry could move past this inefficient use of space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Portland
Germany
Worms
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and i dislike boxes where is no place for the expansion :shake:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I normally hate boxes with too much air in it, although the RftG box has the huge advantage, that all the expansions also fit in. meeple

A negative example is Topwords Kartenspiel, where the counters, after punching them out, won't fit into the Tichu-sized card box. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you describe these box sizes in units like centimeters, or even inches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bundyman wrote:
...and i dislike boxes where is no place for the expansion shake

shouldn't the expansion boxes be the bigger boxes and the base set boxes built to hold the base set? this would take no effort to do, you simply have a facade inside the shrink that is just setting atop the box identifying it as the expansion to perspective buyers in a store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the type of game I prefer a smaller box size, one that's both convenient for transporting and compact for game storage. Traders of Osaka comes to mind as a good example. It's small size is long enough to hold a folded gameboard, but it's thickness is exactly large enough to accomodate the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
Regardless of the type of game I prefer a smaller box size, one that's both convenient for transporting and compact for game storage. Traders of Osaka comes to mind as a good example. It's small size is long enough to hold a folded gameboard, but it's thickness is exactly large enough to accomodate the cards.

that is a nice size. the griffin/eagle bookshelf games are a good box. they go on the game shelf, not the card drawer, but are a storable size.

Wildlife Safari
Diamant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:

Just for fun, courtesy of Amazon:

Tichu - 3.8 x 0.8 x 4.8 inches

FFG Small Box - 1.5 x 4 x 7.8 inches

RFTG Box - 10.8 x 7.5 x 2.8 inches

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Drown wrote:
Digren wrote:

Just for fun, courtesy of Amazon:

Tichu - 3.8 x 0.8 x 4.8 inches

FFG Small Box - 1.5 x 4 x 7.8 inches

RFTG Box - 10.8 x 7.5 x 2.8 inches
Sorted by size (length & volume):
Tichu: 4.8 * 3.8 * 0.8 = 14.6 cubic inches.
FFG SB: 7.8 * 4 * 1.5 = 46.8 cubic inches.
RFTG: 10.8 * 7.5 * 2.8 = 226.8 cubic inches.

Personally I don't know about the box size. What I find disturbing is that the expansions contain so little, are so many and cost so much.

Some argue the first expansion should had been in the base game. I don't know about that but atleast throw in all the first three expansions in one big one, maybe in the same box size as the original game and sell it for a similar price.

As is the game cost 265 + (195 * 3) = 850 SEK here in Sweden with the expansions. That's 132 dollars.

For a card game?

Seriously?

Even worse if you buy all the expansions and they end this madness and release a bigger box / more things together how happy will you feel with your purchase?

So with RFTG you're screwed way beyond the box size. But maybe the expansions would cost much less if the boxes was smaller? Throw random crap in a 60 SEK box and I would be happy =p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Race for the Galaxy have made the top 10 if it came in a small box? I think the bigger box helps validate the game as an actual game and not just a simple card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
what is you the consumers take? $15ish bucks for a card game and plastic chits in a tichu-ish box vs $22ish in a race box and nice punch out chits or even wood pieces?

Is the bigger box necessary to fit the nicer components?
The way your question is phrased is NO.

So you have to ask WHY you are linking the two?
If nice chits or wooden bits fit in a Tichu box, then why are you making a Race box a requirement to have them?

If it IS necessary to fit the bits... then WHY have such a freaking huge box?
There are a LOT of boxes in between Tichu and Race.
FFG Small Box works well.
Hell, even a Munchkin box (9.25 x 6.25 x 1.75 inches, equals 101 cu in) would be a better idea.
Note that Race has a box 225% the size of Munchkin, while only containing 65% as much stuff.

Fit the box to the game components. I absolutely LOATHE games that have tons of air space in them. Especially when I have to haul them to and from conventions.

Munchkin, notably, I pack 2 sets plus accessories into every box. That still leaves me with too many boxes.

My copy of Race has not spent even ONE day in it's original box since I broke the shrink. It lives in an Ultra Pro Deck Box: http://www.pokeorder.com/uldebox.html

It irritates me that I need to buy more boxes to store my games in, because the one it came in is USELESS for storage.

Remember, a giant box just means more room for all the cards to flop everywhere and get horribly mixed up, flipped over, and basically make a giant mess that will take me 5-10 minutes just to sort out before I can even start playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregorio Morales
Spain
Alicante
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 120+ tichu-sized games, so I am a little biased, maybe

First of all, portability. It's a big point.

Then but related, shipping costs.

And last, I find it pretty irritating when I buy air

As an example, Amigo released Sieben Siegel in "medium-small" box, like Guillotine. And I owned it.

Few years later, re-released in small box (e.g. coloretto). I gave the bigger as a gift and bought the small one

When I see a small 2-deck box I think "mmmm, this might be worth buying, I'll take it on my radar!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:
My copy of Race has not spent even ONE day in it's original box since I broke the shrink. It lives in an Ultra Pro Deck Box: http://www.pokeorder.com/uldebox.html

It irritates me that I need to buy more boxes to store my games in, because the one it came in is USELESS for storage.
Even worse to have paid for gigantic box + shipping and then pay for the smaller storage to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
Bundyman wrote:
...and i dislike boxes where is no place for the expansion shake

Yeah, my RFTG box is plenty packed, thanks to expansions. Flip the insert to get two rows, tuck solitaire and blank cards under the divider...

If you're the type who can't get yourself to throw away expansion boxes, I pity you. I think a "big" box--RFTG is still tiny compared to any full sized board game--is easier to handle than four small ones in a pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.