semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized that the picture of the back of the box that I used for reference here on BGG lists "Sorcerer" instead of "Sorceress" which is what's in the game. Sorry about that!

I'm surprised she's so popular! I haven't played her yet, but I think she'll be in my next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
woodjh wrote:
I just realized that the picture of the back of the box that I used for reference here on BGG lists "Sorcerer" instead of "Sorceress" which is what's in the game. Sorry about that!

I'm surprised she's so popular! I haven't played her yet, but I think she'll be in my next game.

I hadn't used her until a game I played yesterday and had a blast playing with her.

We were quite unlucky in the game, however, because when we had just two generals left the Bad Global Effect card which prevents the heroes from using magic went into effect(think its called Magic Armor). With 2 of the 3 characters being the Sorceress and the Chaos Wizard, it really hindered our abilities. We had been coasting in the game until then, but once the card came out we failed within the next 2 or 3 rounds because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
woodjh wrote:

She's the most powerful hero in the base game for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CajunShooter wrote:
woodjh wrote:

I hadn't used her until a game I played yesterday and had a blast playing with her.

We were quite unlucky in the game, however, because when we had just two generals left the Bad Global Effect card which prevents the heroes from using magic went into effect(think its called Magic Armor). With 2 of the 3 characters being the Sorceress and the Chaos Wizard, it really hindered our abilities. We had been coasting in the game until then, but once the card came out we failed within the next 2 or 3 rounds because of it.

Now, I have played with the Chaos Wizard.....and thought he was great fun! Especially when I accidentally untamed magicked my 7-year old. Oopsies! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think sorceresses powers are powerful and vary too much. + damage to, re rolls, heals taints, lots of action points. She fills too many roles.

Not sure why cleric got above a terrible. I think she is easily the worst character in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:
I think sorceresses powers are powerful and vary too much. + damage to, re rolls, heals taints, lots of action points. She fills too many roles.

Not sure why cleric got above a terrible. I think she is easily the worst character in the game.

The cleric....really? I thought the cleric was decent. I actually almost won with her. I thought the healer and the chaos wizard were just AWFUL in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played with the Captain of the Guard and he is a Mediocre/Fair character at best. Especially his ability to give Action Tokens to other players is almost useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Grove123 wrote:

The cleric....really? I thought the cleric was decent. I actually almost won with her. I thought the healer and the chaos wizard were just AWFUL in my opinion.

The Chaos Wizard may not be all that powerful...but it is so much fun to randomly attack a region on the board (and sometimes your allies...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
agentdonald wrote:
Yesterday I played with the Captain of the Guard and he is a Mediocre/Fair character at best. Especially his ability to give Action Tokens to other players is almost useless.

It is a good action. Think about if the Captain of the guard ever ends their turn where they wouldn't be able to use their last move to get to a safe area to finish their turn. They then can spend that final action that would have been wasted to give to the next player.

Having 1 addtional action on a turn can be huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CajunShooter wrote:

It is a good action. Think about if the Captain of the guard ever ends their turn where they wouldn't be able to use their last move to get to a safe area to finish their turn. They then can spend that final action that would have been wasted to give to the next player.

Having 1 addtional action on a turn can be huge.

Unfortunately with only 5 Action tokens that situation never happens. How often does it happen that you have 1 or more Actions left at the end of your turn? Once in a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Let me add my perspective on the Captain of the Guard. I believe this is an excellent hero, but requires more planning and coordination with other players than most of the heroes do, which is by design since he is a leader. To maximize his value, the player must recognize when another hero is in position to capitalize on the Action tokens he could give them for their turn as being more valuable than him using the Actions for himself. While this will not, and should happen every turn, there are times where the Barbarian could Battle Rage at a higher level, or a player pursue the Unicorn more effectively, or the Cleric make more Heal the land attempts when taint crystals are high, or ensure a key Hero make it to a General for a group attack.

Good use of this hero is dependent on the player thinking like a commander and enjoying that role in the game, but the same may be true about players aligning their thoughts and strategies to any hero they are playing. Players who identify with a Hero and their skills tend to enjoy playing them more and I suspect maximize their abilities. This has certainly been evident through play testing feedback and I think the Poll above appears to be stating the same thing. For some players a hero is rated Great, and for others the same Hero is rated Fair or Poor. At a minimum this is certainly interesting.

Thanks for your interest, and no matter who you favorite Heroes are I hope you are enjoying the dynamics the various heroes bring to each game.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He definitely works best in a group of team players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:
Thanks for your interest, and no matter who you favorite Heroes are I hope you are enjoying the dynamics the various heroes bring to each game.

Absolutely! I think the diversity in the characters, and the completely different play styles that they invoke are the primary reasons I love this game so much. Keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donato
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

You are right Richard. There is now enough choice in Heroes with various skills. I think that sometimes the mood of the player also affects how much he likes or dislikes that Hero.

Maybe in a couple of months I post here how much I love the Captain

Talking about a captain, why is there no Pirate Hero? No game is complete without Pirates and Ninja (Assassin)......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Talking about a captain, why is there no Pirate Hero? No game is complete without Pirates and Ninja (Assassin)......

Actually, though not a Pirate, there is a Mariner that is more of a privateer. In fact, just because we lacked appropriate artwork the following are some of the Heroes that have been play tested were left out of these Hero Packs. I hope they appear at some point as they are all fun to play. A few are listed below - I will let you guess how their skills worked, but I will tell you the Dwarven Ale was a favorite of all play testers.

Mariner - Sea Travel, Trade, and Naval Bombardment.
Centaur - Archery, Gallop, and Transport rider.
Bard - Song & Sword, Harmonize, Story Telling & Song
Dwarf Engineer - Mines, Fortify, and Dwarven Ale

I will also add that Pirates appear in the one of the new Quests in development.

Thanks for your interest. Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
Baton Rouge
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Richard Launius wrote:

In fact, just because we lacked appropriate artwork the following are some of the Heroes that have been play tested were left out of these Hero Packs.

The continual teasing of all the possible future expansions for this game are driving me insane because I want them all now.

I really hope some more hero packs come out in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentdonald wrote:

Could'nt agree more. WHAT were they thinking with some of these heroes? Some are great, but a few are real stinkers to us.

We played with the Captain twice now and found him near useless. We were thinking of just house-ruling that he can give his golden action tokens to others during their turns reguardless of what he does on his turn, and he gets them back at the beggining of his turn.

I don't think this will overpower him, especially when comapaired to the Wizard and Sorc.

New quests?! Great! Richard, PLEASE make the type/font readable and large enough on the new quests. 3 of us don't wear glasses, and we have a lot of trouble reading the quests; our friends with glasses don't even try. In fact, if you added the old quests (with bigger cards and bigger font) to the new quests, we would buy that in a second!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe F.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Launius wrote:

Actually, though not a Pirate, there is a Mariner that is more of a privateer. In fact, just because we lacked appropriate artwork the following are some of the Heroes that have been play tested were left out of these Hero Packs. I hope they appear at some point as they are all fun to play. A few are listed below - I will let you guess how their skills worked, but I will tell you the Dwarven Ale was a favorite of all play testers.

Mariner - Sea Travel, Trade, and Naval Bombardment.
Centaur - Archery, Gallop, and Transport rider.
Bard - Song & Sword, Harmonize, Story Telling & Song
Dwarf Engineer - Mines, Fortify, and Dwarven Ale

I will also add that Pirates appear in the one of the new Quests in development.

Thanks for your interest. Richard

Looks like Hero pack #4 is about done thenlaugh when can we expect it?whistle

Seroiusly though, I hope these hero packs sell well enough to warrant more in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:

if you don't play the dragon expansion and only have the base game the cleric is very good. she kills 3 of the 4 types of minions by rolling only a 3 or higher, has a chance to remove taint without burning a card, has 6 action points & can end turns with undead because her turn ability.

what i can't believe is that anyone rated the sorceress as "bad". even with all the expansions, I still think she's the most powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kennedy
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned it in another post that the Sorceress was in my opinion one of (if not THE) strongest character in the game so far. Great damage potential that carries to general fights (in the base game that means orcs instantly die unless using fail on 1s, Demons and Undead on a 2+, and dragonkin on a 3+!), can usually ignore wounds from minions with a bit of planning, bonus to quests and healing the land, plenty of action points, and given almost any of the 'item' quest rewards she is frighteningly powerful. When introducing new players to the game I always grab the Sorceress to make sure I pick up the slack as they explore and learn the game.

Our group has also had amazing success with the Barbarian. On a good turn of combat (and a horrifically swamped board) she has the potential to remove 8 minions from the board at once! Can pump her attacks to ensure instant death on a combat (unless you are using the 1s always fail rule) and can be a little selective about her Hero cards she isn't anything to sneeze at either!

I personally can't wait till I get my game money saved up for the Hero Expansions.

Of course personal opinions will always be spiced with personal experience. We've always had lousy luck with say the Rouge as whatever we call for her rumors the deck always hates us and we're lucky if we walk out with even 2 cards after using both rumors. :/ I try not to let things like that cloud my opinions of the Heroes as I also have to account for luck factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hulk Hogan
United States
flag msg tools
From my experience, the Sorceress was the most powerful of the base characters. The Elf Lord was the most powerful of the expansion characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Everly
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've been soloing this game for the last few days trying to get a feel for the characters. Out of the characters I've played, these are easily in my top three.

3. Sorceress- With her ability to take the shape of any minion, she can eliminate an entire group of enemies before they even know what hit them.

2. Assassin- she can perform sneak attacks on enemies before disappearing in a puff of smoke...

1. Wizard- Teleport ---> Fireball. 'Nuff said.

As you can see, I'm a very combat oriented player, but I'm not above playing as someone like Captain of the Guard whenever I feel like changing things up a bit.

Honorable mention goes to the Barbarian. Between her ability to boost her attacks and cause minions to flee in terror, she's definitely not to be messed with. I'm going to play another solo game after work today. This time, I'll try the Cleric. Her ability to cleanse tainted land using only an action and a die roll of 5+ seems very useful... Especially when you consider most of my games ended behind those dang crystals.

Many props to Richard and Larry. This game is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.