Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up this game over the weekend and have been enjoying it.

The rules seem a bit vague concerning a few situations.

1. Hero actions: Some hero actions seem obvious, exhaust hero name to do xxx. So obviously this exhausts the hero and they can take no other action this turn unless you can reset them using another card or skill.

But what about the heroes like Dunhere? He can target enemies in the staging area during the combat phase. It does not say this exhausts him so does this mean he can take a free shot at an enemy in the staging area and also attack or defend during this phase also?

How about Glorfindel? Can he spend a token to heal someone even though he is exhausted?

2. "Sneak Attack" : When you use this card to bring out an Ally, Do the allies special abilities kick in? O do you just use there normal attributes? For instance I used Sneak Attack to bring out Gandalf. I then placed 4 damage on an engaged enemy then used exhaust Gandalf to attack during the battle phase also. Did I do this correctly?

3. On the second quest the last card says something to the extent to not do the questing phase. So I just skipped that phase altogether but by doing this my threat never raised because that is part of the questing phase. I feel I am not doing this correctly, it just seems to easy for this part of the encounter to me.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I really enjoy this game and want to be playing it properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
edjrjr wrote:
I just picked up this game over the weekend and have been enjoying it.

The rules seem a bit vague concerning a few situations.

1. Hero actions: Some hero actions seem obvious, exhaust hero name to do xxx. So obviously this exhausts the hero and they can take no other action this turn unless you can reset them using another card or skill.

But what about the heroes like Dunhere? He can target enemies in the staging area during the combat phase. It does not say this exhausts him so does this mean he can take a free shot at an enemy in the staging area and also attack or defend during this phase also?

How about Glorfindel? Can he spend a token to heal someone even though he is exhausted?
Dunhere is still attacking, so he still needs to exhaust to do it. You do not have to exhaust to spend tokens, so Glorfindel is fine.
edjrjr wrote:

2. "Sneak Attack" : When you use this card to bring out an Ally, Do the allies special abilities kick in? O do you just use there normal attributes? For instance I used Sneak Attack to bring out Gandalf. I then placed 4 damage on an engaged enemy then used exhaust Gandalf to attack during the battle phase also. Did I do this correctly?
Sounds like it. Sneak attacking Gandalf is a standard, and very powerfull, play
edjrjr wrote:

3. On the second quest the last card says something to the extent to not do the questing phase. So I just skipped that phase altogether but by doing this my threat never raised because that is part of the questing phase. I feel I am not doing this correctly, it just seems to easy for this part of the encounter to me.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I really enjoy this game and want to be playing it properly.
[/q]I think that is right. The enemies still stack up plenty fast enough.[q="edjrjr"]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde Cloggie
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmb
My fellow Scot's answers above are correct apart from the last one.

The quest says to skip the staging step of the quest phase, not the whole quest phase altogether. This means you do not add new cards to the staging area, but you still need to raise your threat if total threat in the staging area exceeds the willpower of all questing characters. If willpower > threat, you add progress tokens to the quest although that is irrelevant in this step unless you have an active location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunhere has an example of a "constant effect", from Page 23 of the rules.

But as said above, he still needs to exhaust to actually attack. It's just that WHEN he attacks, he can target enemies either in front of him or in the staging area.

Glorfindel's "action" doesn't include the requirement to exhaust to perform, nor does it say that "cannot be used if exhausted", he only requires resources to pay for the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed R
United States
Huntington
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies.

The threat will make that part of the scenario much tougher. I'd quess that had I added more threat I would have lost instead of cruising through the enemies at the end. I did have a tough pull which included another Hill Giant during the second phase.

The Gandalf/Sneak Attack combo is great. I'm glad I was doing it properly. I'd imagine having that combo available can make or break a game. I only have the single core set so I believe I have (2) of the sneak attack cards. Now if only I can find a way for Gandalf to take undefended damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
jerkules wrote:
Dunhere has an example of a "constant effect", from Page 23 of the rules.

But as said above, he still needs to exhaust to actually attack. It's just that WHEN he attacks, he can target enemies either in front of him or in the staging area.

Glorfindel's "action" doesn't include the requirement to exhaust to perform, nor does it say that "cannot be used if exhausted", he only requires resources to pay for the action.

Yeah, I think that it's important to be clear about costs and effects from special abilities. Exhausting the character is one cost that some abilities require (such as Eleanor or Denethor), but instead, it may be spending resources (Glorfindel or Aragorn), discarding cards (Eowyn) or any other thing. Some, of course, are the "constant effects" mentioned above, which don't themselves have costs, but the action they modify may still require a cost (as with Dunhere).

And unless the ability specifically limits its use, you also have to remember that it can be used as often as you like (and can pay for) in a turn. Glorindel, of course, may heal as much damage as you can spend resources from his pool.(oops, his card actually gives a specific 1-use limit per round, but you can use the Longbeard Map-Maker as many times as you have Lore resources as another example). In a mutiplayer game, each player may discard a card to increase Eowyn's willpower. If you can refresh Beravor somehow (like with Unexpected Courage), you can use her again to draw more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilroy_locke wrote:
Glorindel, of course, may heal as much damage as you can spend resources from his pool.

Once per round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
kilroy_locke wrote:
Glorindel, of course, may heal as much damage as you can spend resources from his pool.

Once per round.
Ah, so it is. Maybe that's why I never play with him...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.