Subject: question about donations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Horky
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
Played my first game of Bohnanza this weekend. My group had a question about the "donation" mechanic that the Rio Grande rules don't really address.

When attempting to donate, how much detail does one have to go into? Can one just say, "I have a single (or a double, or whatever)," or should one say "I have two soybeans?"

And, basically, one announces one's willingness to donate, and either people accept or they don't? My group understood why you might donate to cull unwanted cards from your hand failed to see any advantage in accepting, given that you had to plant them right away. are we missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Li
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:question about donations
Hi Rhorky,

>When attempting to donate, how much detail does one have >to go into? Can one just say, "I have a single (or a >double, or whatever)," or should one say "I have two >soybeans?"

Hmm...this has never been an issue with my group. It's always been, "Who wants a soybean? I'll give you a soybean okay?" So you can say whatever you want.

>nd, basically, one announces one's willingness to donate, >and either people accept or they don't? My group >understood why you might donate to cull unwanted cards >from your hand failed to see any advantage in accepting, >given that you had to plant them right away. are we >missing something?[/i]

Maybe perhaps you have beans coming up in your own hand that you could use? OR you're the only one growing those type of beans and the owner doesn't want to destroy his/her crops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herriott
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re:question about donations
Hello, R Horky (#10498),

As for bean donations, imagine this: You have 3 cocoa beans planted, and already own a 3rd field. Your friend draws the fourth bean into his hand, and will be forced to plant it on his next turn. This is his last chance to trade with you before his turn. Now, that 4th cocoa bean is an instant gold piece for you. However, it is a burden on him. He can never gain any money from that bean. Further, he may never be in a position to harvest that bean due to the single bean rule. His burden, he decides, is simply too much to keep this bean. If you play cutthroat, you don't have to give up a thing for that bean - the burden of that bean is great enough that your friend will simply offer it to you as a donation.

What is even better, is that if your friend is the only one ahead of you, then you refuse his donation. Make him eat the useless bean and occupy an otherwise useful field. That's why donations are both allowed by the rules, and refuseable by the player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.