dug fromthearth
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I want a dungeon crawl boardgame that is played as a continuous and expanding adventure rather than a series of encounters.

I want it to be cooperative victory, solo failure - if you win you all win, but players can lose individually (die) during the game. So you want to help each other, but make sure you stay alive.

The map is revealed a characters explore - a different layout each time.

I want combat to take place within the scale of the game over time - not in a mini-game. So if one character is being attacked, others can come aid him - but it costs them exploration time.

I want each character to have different abilities so they are better at dealing with different traps, monsters etc.

I want the ability to disable some traps - so one character can go past and allow the others to go past.

I want monsters to follow players and be affected by the dungeon.

Examples I want to have be able to happen:

The dwarf encounters a chasm, the drawbridge is withdrawn. It requires jumping across. The rogue moves to that square and jumps the chasm. On the other side is the switch to let out the bridge so others can cross.

The rogue encounters a stone golem. The rogue cannot hurt the golem (or it is very hard to). He retreats square by square with the golem following. The rogue crosses a narrow bridge. The golem attempts to follow but fails and falls into the pit and is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
Almost... but HeroQuest with some tweaks would do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know of a game that fulfills all of your criteria, but I can tell you where Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game (WoA) does and doesn't fit.

dugfromthearth wrote:

I want a dungeon crawl boardgame that is played as a continuous and expanding adventure rather than a series of encounters.

I want it to be cooperative victory, solo failure - if you win you all win, but players can lose individually (die) during the game. So you want to help each other, but make sure you stay alive.

WoA doesn't really fit the bill here... There are campaign rules, and some BGG users have graciously put together some campaigns for WoA and Castle Ravenloft, but the base game comes with what amounts to pre-arranged encounter-type situations.

Of course you could definitely script your own campaigns. The DnD Adventure system is really easy to house-rule.

dugfromthearth wrote:

The map is revealed a characters explore - a different layout each time.

In WoA there is a tile stack, each tile being a section of dungeon. The order is random, so you don't (reasonably) ever get the same layout twice.

dugfromthearth wrote:

I want combat to take place within the scale of the game over time - not in a mini-game. So if one character is being attacked, others can come aid him - but it costs them exploration time.

WoA is very much a cooperative game, and you will definitely need to help out fellow adventurers.

In a single turn in WoA, you have the option to explore by traveling to the unexplored edge of a dungeon tile in play. If you do so, a new dungeon tile is drawn and a monster is placed into play on the tile. You may or may not need to draw an encounter card which can trigger traps or environmental effects. If you decide NOT to explore and to help out your fellow adventurer instead, you WILL have to draw an encounter card. So exploration is encouraged, but there will be times when not exploring is the better option for the party.

dugfromthearth wrote:

I want each character to have different abilities so they are better at dealing with different traps, monsters etc.

WoA has this, and several BGG users have created additional characters to change things up if your interested in that type of thing.

dugfromthearth wrote:

I want the ability to disable some traps - so one character can go past and allow the others to go past.

WoA: not exactly. There is a rogue-type character who is better at disabling traps than the other characters, but once a trap is disabled then it is typically disabled for good. The person disabling the trap typically enters the dungeon tile where the trap is present, attempts a dice roll to disable the trap (the success of which is modified by environmental factors, character equipment, character abilities, and the trap itself), and if successful the trap is removed. If unsuccessful the player may fall victim to all kinds of nasty things.

dugfromthearth wrote:

I want monsters to follow players and be affected by the dungeon.

The monsters in WoA are governed by two types of movement: per tile and per square. Each tile is made up of smaller squares for positioning and line-of-sight. When a person draws a new dungeon tile and places a monster, that person is in control of the monster. That monster has a card associated with it and the card has rules for damage types and movement rules. The monster is only activated when it is the turn of a player who has a corresponding monster card. There are different monster types, but a monster will typically either move towards the nearest player, or attempt to spawn more monsters.

Since there are multiple of each monster and card, it is possible for a monster to activate only on a single player's turn or on several players' turn. Sometimes monster will activate all the time and really tear you up.

dugfromthearth wrote:

Examples I want to have be able to happen:

The dwarf encounters a chasm, the drawbridge is withdrawn. It requires jumping across. The rogue moves to that square and jumps the chasm. On the other side is the switch to let out the bridge so others can cross.

The rogue encounters a stone golem. The rogue cannot hurt the golem (or it is very hard to). He retreats square by square with the golem following. The rogue crosses a narrow bridge. The golem attempts to follow but fails and falls into the pit and is destroyed.

WoA really doesn't have these kind of grand-scale environment interactions, unfortunately.

I know WoA isn't exactly the game you are looking for, but I hope this helps you decide. Other games in the DnD Adventure System series are Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game (which came out first) and Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game (which is yet to be released I believe). The games are compatible with each other, and some of the Ravenloft rules have been refined in WoA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dug fromthearth
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played some D&D boardgame recently and it felt just like very watered dow 4e. Lots of combat but little else.

I am not sure if I played Heroquest or something like it.

My problem with games like that is they tend to be tactical combat with some exploring added - and the exploring is usually just running into more monsters.

I really like the game DungeonQuest and want to try it with the alternate combat rules listed here - but it is just a series of encounters and not cooperative.

and I forgot - no GM required

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Games with that feel.

Warhammer Quest for the most part does just about all of the above. Though the adventuring party has to stick together really.

RuinsWorld has some of that feel, it can be played co-op or non.

Dragon Storm has everything except the dungeons. (Im working on that part e'en now.) Unfortunately it is a RPG (it is also a CCG) and needs a GM to run. The above two games do not. (Working on this problem too.)

Theres also a few PnP tries at this such as Dungeon Plungen for example.

I've been working on a game with most of the above elements. But it is a post-apoc/sci-fi setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dug fromthearth
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks, I'll have to check out warhammer quest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Take note that WHQ is long out of print and likely expensive to find now.
Luckily the rules and tiles are easy enough to find here there and somewhere. And miniatures can be proxied in from about any other game. It depends on the amount of effort you want to put into it.

RuinsWorld is also long out of print, but all the ards are up online with permissions from the artists and possibly the designer.

Dragon Storm is still in print. But can be messy to get into as it is a CCG/RPG. See my review for various points.

Descent is another possibility, but it needs a GM and I have not yet seen it in play so cant say how viable it is for the task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
dugfromthearth wrote:

Your post is very positive. What is it about an actual RPG do you not want? Because there are RPGs with no DM, or rotating DMs. I ask because of course an RPG can do most of these things far better than a boardgame can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.