Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean Comeau
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb

Hi all. I have a question for you.

Suppose I have some cubes on an activity card that allows me to exchange a die of a given color for 3 red ones (I don't remember the name of that card but I know it exists).

Suppose on my turn I decide first to pick up one of my cubes from that card, thus giving me 3 (more) red dices. Can I then in the same turn use one of these red dices on the other card (whose name I also don't remember) that gives you VPs if you have the highest total value of red dices compared to the other players?

In a similar sense, must you always immediately use the dices you obtain when you spend a cube from one of these cards with an hourglass? Could you instead just leave these dices in your corner for another turn, at the risk of someone stealing those dices from you?

Have a nice one!

Jean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
comeauj wrote:

Hi all. I have a question for you.

Suppose I have some cubes on an activity card that allows me to exchange a die of a given color for 3 red ones (I don't remember the name of that card but I know it exists).

Suppose on my turn I decide first to pick up one of my cubes from that card, thus giving me 3 (more) red dices. Can I then in the same turn use one of these red dices on the other card (whose name I also don't remember) that gives you VPs if you have the highest total value of red dices compared to the other players?

In a similar sense, must you always immediately use the dices you obtain when you spend a cube from one of these cards with an hourglass? Could you instead just leave these dices in your corner for another turn, at the risk of someone stealing those dices from you?

Have a nice one!

Jean

It is all immediate. You can't do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how cubes work:

1. Form a dice group (might just be one die).
2. Use one cube to modify the group somehow.
3. Use the modified group to perform an action.

The dice aren't literally converted to physical red dice in your example. They just act as red dice for performing whatever action you want to do on this turn. You must use the entire group. You can't save dice after the action any more than you can save dice when not using a cube.

In general, you form a dice group and then use it to perform exactly one action. Cubes just allow you to modify the group in some way before you take an action with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zubbus O'Really
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
comeauj wrote:

Jean

That is actually one main action so of course you can do this. And this is exactly how you use cubes. "Use of those red dices on the other card" (there are a few) is your main action and using a cube to get the dice for that is exactly how, why and when you use the cube. Using a cube is not a separate main action.

As Nate said, those dice from activity effects aren't physical dice so you don't hang on to them or have to worry about running out of dice to use in case all the red dice are in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Comeau
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi guys.

Thank you for your quick and clear replies. The fact that the resulting red dice are "not real" prevents me from using them with the activity card that rewards the player with the highest value of red dice. That card mentions something like "not counting the ones you use to activate the card", so I must already have red dice in my lot, I cannot use the ones I obtain via the cube.shake

Thank you all.

Jean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
comeauj wrote:
Thank you for your quick and clear replies. The fact that the resulting red dice are "not real" prevents me from using them with the activity card that rewards the player with the highest value of red dice. That card mentions something like "not counting the ones you use to activate the card", so I must already have red dice in my lot, I cannot use the ones I obtain via the cube.shake

Well, do note that even if you use real, physical red dice that came from your own district, you can't count them toward having the highest value of red dice. As you said, you don't count the ones you use to activate the card. Other activity cards that care about dice remaining in the city work the same way: dice used to activate the card are no longer in the city.

edit: A way I've commonly used Joust is to buy dice from other players to activate the card, in order to lower their total so that my remaining total is now the highest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
comeauj wrote:
Thank you for your quick and clear replies. The fact that the resulting red dice are "not real" prevents me from using them with the activity card that rewards the player with the highest value of red dice. That card mentions something like "not counting the ones you use to activate the card", so I must already have red dice in my lot, I cannot use the ones I obtain via the cube.

I am not sure whether this is what you are asking or not, but you can use the "virtual" dice to activate the card, as long as you have physical dice remaining in your district to benefit from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougbass68 wrote:
comeauj wrote:
Thank you for your quick and clear replies. The fact that the resulting red dice are "not real" prevents me from using them with the activity card that rewards the player with the highest value of red dice. That card mentions something like "not counting the ones you use to activate the card", so I must already have red dice in my lot, I cannot use the ones I obtain via the cube.

I am not sure whether this is what you are asking or not, but you can use the "virtual" dice to activate the card, as long as you have physical dice remaining in your district to benefit from it.

As per that other thread, you can always activate Joust, even if it leaves everybody tied with 0 dice (in which case everybody gets the VPs), or if it leaves somebody else winning the VPs because they have more pips than you. Joust is unique in this because it doesn't have the stipulation (which some other cards do have) that you must have at least one die remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bass
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghorsche wrote:
dougbass68 wrote:
comeauj wrote:

As per that other thread, you can always activate Joust, even if it leaves everybody tied with 0 dice (in which case everybody gets the VPs), or if it leaves somebody else winning the VPs because they have more pips than you. Joust is unique in this because it doesn't have the stipulation (which some other cards do have) that you must have at least one die remaining.

Yes, I remember that thread. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't use Joust if I didn't have the most red dice. Also, I was thinking of Chivalry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree: You can't use Chivalry if you have no dice left, because it wouldn't cause anything to happen, so you haven't actually taken an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.