Popular Tags: [View All]
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(based on the version of the rules posted here on BGG -- although given the typos I'm seeing, perhaps they're not final)

Seems like for unopposed tests, you succeeed if you match or exceed the target value.

For opposed tests like Breakaway and Evade, you succeed if you match or exceed the target value.

But for opposed combat tests, you only succeed if you exceed the target value?

I realize this is just a matter of perception -- if you look at it as the defender is testing their shields against your weapons fire, it's consistent. But since the rules are described from the point of view of the aggressor, it seems inconsistent. Furthermore, if the weapons test is at least double the shields, you do two damage, and if the test is at least triple the shields, you do three damage. But if the weapons test is equal to the shields, you do no damage?

Are the final printed rules clearer here?

Thanks,

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It seems to be the rules are clear even though they are not "consistent". For them to be be "consistent", it should be enough to match the target' Shields Test. Not a big deal, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh - it's bad enough having to remember, for each game in my collection, whether I have to check greater-than-or-equal target number, greater-than target number, less-than-or-equal target number, or less-than target number. I was kinda hoping any given game would be consistent.

Oh well.

Game still looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Jigsaw Man
United States
Goose Creek
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I inevitably break ties in favor of the player over the board, and the defender over the attacker.

I'm willing to change policy if anyone wants to bother to look up the rule, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
It seems to be the rules are clear even though they are not "consistent". For them to be be "consistent", it should be enough to match the target' Shields Test. Not a big deal, though.

Yeah, this is the one exception to the general rule about needing to match a target. It may not a big deal, but it's one more thing to remember. Would anything be lost by house ruling this so that matching the shields is considered a hit?

Can't wait for Sept. 21!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine why they created this inconsistency.
Most of the rules are quite intuitive but this detail is going to be annoying to teach and remember.

Why not just raise all the weapon scores by one and keep the rules consistent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
I think it's worse than just "combat tests need greater than". I'm pretty sure it's "combat tests to inflict 1 damage need greater than". To do 2 alert shifts you need >= 2 x shields, to do 3 alert shifts you need >= 3 x shields .

It seems a kinda goofy decision to have done things this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrThud wrote:
I think it's worse than just "combat tests need greater than". I'm pretty sure it's "combat tests to inflict 1 damage need greater than". To do 2 alert shifts you need >= 2 x shields, to do 3 alert shifts you need >= 3 x shields .

The rules don't read that way.
MrThud is accurate.

gratuitous summary:
unopposed systems checks: must => the target to win

opposed systems checks (including combat): must > target to win

Additionally doubling shield test = two damage
Tripling shield test = three damage

It seems pretty intuitive to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
Huh! Came up on a borderline roll the other day, must have misread it at the time. Thanks.
Okay, maybe don't have to get the eyes checked quite yet .

I do think it would have been more intuitive to make all tests consistent, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
MrThud wrote:

How is that different from what he and I both already said? To do one damage, you must exceed the target. To do two or three damage, you must match or exceed 2x or 3x the target. Every other test in the game is match or exceed as well.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
lfisher wrote:
MrThud wrote:

How is that different from what he and I both already said? To do one damage, you must exceed the target. To do two or three damage, you must match or exceed 2x or 3x the target. Every other test in the game is match or exceed as well.

-Dave

Sorry you are right.

The FAQ also breaks down the combat structure pretty nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.