Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Ici, c'est la France! The Algerian War of Independence 1954 - 1962» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Zonal Commandoes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what is the general feeling on these guys and is it worth upgrading to them?

So far in 3 games, I'm not seeing the payback from this troop type to "invest" in creating them.

They have the best quality of any FLN troops, but still only roll 1d6 in combat, so chances are, even against the weakest of the French units, they will be destroyed when found. So all things considered, it seems more beneficial to the FLN to go for quanity over quality and keep the 2 units (and Ops points) you'd need to combine to convert to get a Zonal troop. At least that way you have more troops for the French to try and find, you have more troops to try and control a region, and you'll have more troops to spread the 'good word of the FLN' to neighboring regions.

So is there any advantage or benefit to creating them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raynald Foret
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I confess I don't remember if there's a good operationnal reason to build them or not, but at some point in the game the FLN should run out of other kind of troops anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Kanger
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The main idea with zonal commandoes is to release moudjahidines and moussebilines from the map. You are running out of them and you can't expand, so you wish to exchange them for zonal commandoes in order to get them back into the force pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If converted in a region where it costs 0.5 to add a Failek, then replacing a Moussebiline and a Moudjahidine with a ZC (0.5), and then and adding back a Mousse or Moudj(0.5) means a net increase one ZC Failek in the region for a cost of 1 pt. I agree the combat power added is not going to do a lot (might save a unit in combat or cost the French a half step), but the price is low. And, it frees up a Mousse or Moudj.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.