Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a poll about a year ago, and it's a good time for another one. The next expansion for Cosmic Encounter is most likely in the preparation stages, and aliens are being selected for inclusion. Which alien would you most like to see included?

Below is a poll that includes most of the classic Eon aliens (a few notable exceptions, like Insect, which is arguably close enough to Plant that it will probably not be included yet, and Worm, which is a little bit on the lame side). This time some Mayfair aliens are on this list, but no lucre aliens (even though a lucre alien got converted in the last expansion).

Poll
Most Desired Classic Alien for the Next Expansion
ANOMALY - changes luck
ARISTOCRAT - picks hand and draws flare
AURA - makes others reveal hands
BERSERKER - encounters everyone and negotiates are 15s
BOOMERANG - encounters the attacker
BUSYBODY - can replace encounter card
CONNOISSEUR - draws double cards
CRYSTAL - tells allies number to commit
DELEGATOR - assigns main players
DEMON - can replace offensive player
DIPLOMAT - can negotiate 3-way deal
DOPPELGANGER - gets opponents' cards
GHOST - uses ships from the warp
GORGON - freezes others' ships
GRIEF - gets cards in sympathy
JUDGE - assigns extra win/loss terms
MAGNET - attracts or repels allies
MESMER - can change own artifacts
NEGATOR - reverses decisions
OBVERSE - switches signs
PAVLOV - can reward or punish opponent
PENTAFORM - has 5 life stages
PHANTOM - has ghost ships
PROLONG - can extend encounter
SCHIZOID - changes goal of game
SERPENT - leads others astray
SKEPTIC - doubles risk of encounters
STING - switches dying ships
SUBVERSIVE - lures opponent's allies
WITCH - casts spells
WRAITH - keeps ships off board
      37 answers
Poll created by The Warp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted the Worm

(well, that and some of the Lucre aliens)

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, thanks Jack.

Tough choice. I might have actually picked Worm, provided Gerald Katz's excellent revision was the one included. However, you didn't give me that option!

I almost picked Skeptic. I love that alien; it's a blast to play. My gut feeling is that his opponent should be penalized a bit more harshly if he "double-doubts" and loses than Skeptic, but either way, I want it, give me Skeptic.

I have a big ol soft spot for Witch. I truly believe it can be limited in such a way to make it compatible with FFG's philosophy and an adored power among game groups. I appreciate the efforts here to do just that.

I also think Aristocrat deserves inclusion. It's not a particularly exciting alien, but it's a very clever concept, and if he doesn't take forever picking his initial hand, it's quite inoffensive.

I actually chose Diplomat. I am a firm believer it can be adjusted to be awesome, and have attempted to do so myself - please see this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/480176/classic-alien-pow... (Diplomat 1.2 - which has been play-tested - is four posts down).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mesmer without a doubt. Can be combined w/ Vulch for my fave killer-broken power combo

Schizoid is my next favorite-with experienced players can lead to some really loopy alternate conditions that are classic cosmic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm a dork for voting for Pavlov, but I always loved that one.

Skeptic would be my second choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Only being able to make one choice from such a long list seems unlikely to produce meaningful results. For example, any number of good aliens that might be a person's second or third choice could be completely overlooked. Every one of us can probably find 10 aliens on this list that he considers a candidate, and likely another 5 that he hopes do not get printed.

Are we hoping FFG is actually paying attention to this? If so, let's compile some numbers that reflect actual player preferences.

Oh, and count me among those wondering why Worm is being ostracized. Do we think FFG can fix the problems with many other aliens on this list but can't fix Worm? (Noting of course that Gerald already did.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry folks, but I simply refuse to believe that any person in the universe is hoping Worm more than ANY other alien is published. I also don't see the value of choosing an alien like Worm with the hope that it will certainly be "fixed" by FFG. There are plenty of other, better choices out there, and including it on the list is really pointless. I also didn't include Silencer, since I know it just isn't going to make it.

Anyway, as much as I appreciate Gerald's attempt at giving Worm some teeth, I still happen to find it pretty lackluster as an alien, and I am not alone. I would never choose that alien when dealt another one and given a choice. Never. Not ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also probably some other Lucre aliens that could be converted to non-lucre aliens. Like perhaps the Extortionist. Or maybe even the Butler.

I voted for Schizoid, but there are lots of other good choices.

The Worm is such a good basic concept, it's a shame not to have it. All it needs is a little beefing up. It could be one of those great "pithy" powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for Gorgon. If I could have voted for more, Demon and Pentaform were in strong contention. Frankly, I'd like to see all three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
There are also probably some other Lucre aliens that could be converted to non-lucre aliens. Like perhaps the Extortionist. Or maybe even the Butler.

I voted for Schizoid, but there are lots of other good choices.

The Worm is such a good basic concept, it's a shame not to have it. All it needs is a little beefing up. It could be one of those great "pithy" powers.

I agree that there are very likely some other candidates for de-lucre-ing. That might make an interesting new thread.

I stand by my harsh criticism of Worm. Maybe there's a good concept in there, but the execution just isn't quite up to snuff. While I have found Worm to be a lot better when you add in things like Moons and other variants, on its own, it's decidedly not great. I have played a lot of games with Worm (after the first few times using it, I only ever played it in a double power game when I had no choice), and it has never helped me win a game.

When I first got the Eon expansion that had Worm, I was stoked to play it. The art was fun and I thought the power would be good- in practice, I was pretty disappointed. Worm quickly became the least-desired alien in our gaming group, and when I joined other groups that played CE, I discovered Worm was public enemy number 1 everywhere. We tried a few revisions of Worm, but it never thrilled anyone. I don't doubt Kevin could make it better, but I still don't think it warrants inclusion on my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
I simply refuse to believe that any person in the universe is hoping Worm more than ANY other alien is published.

Fair enough. Although ... isn't that also true of several other choices on the list? Is anybody going to be clamoring for Crystal more than ANY other alien? Or Obverse? Or Boomerang, Prolong, or Magnet more than ANY other alien?

I guess the point is moot in this poll format. Maybe I should just shut up and be happy that I don't see Martian here.

Anyway, my must-haves include Aristocrat, Berserker, Diplomat (Gerald's version), Doppelganger (revised version), Gorgon, Mesmer, and Skeptic.

If I have to vote for just one, it's Aristocrat, Doppelganger, and Mesmer. ;-)

I also have an "anti-want" list: I don't actually want these in my play set, but if FFG prints them that's fine, because then I can oversleeve and use the backs for homebrews. This includes Aura, Demon, Negator, and Pavlov.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of these have been replaced by newer Aliens like Siren and Glutton, but these are the ones I'd really like to see in action someday:

Aristocrat, Berserker, Diplomat, Doppleganger, Ghost, Gorgon, Magnet, Mesmer, Phantom, Schizoid, Skeptic, Sting, Witch and Worm (which wasn't on the list, though).

Actually, I think I'm just listing all of them :laugh:. I'll go ahead and vote for Aristocrat, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Voted for Mesmer (favorite. alien. EVER.).

Would also like to see (in approximate order):

Aristocrat
Schizoid
Butler!!!
Negator
Judge
Witch (only to make the cackle when revealing/using the power)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
The Warp wrote:
I simply refuse to believe that any person in the universe is hoping Worm more than ANY other alien is published.

Fair enough. Although ... isn't that also true of several other choices on the list? Is anybody going to be clamoring for Crystal more than ANY other alien? Or Obverse?

I'd rather have Obverse than Pentaform. whistle

But I'd rather have about a dozen others from this list first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true... there were a couple of others that I hesitated adding (because let's face it... ugh). The body of the text for the poll was copied from last year's poll, and there wasn't any uproar for Worm's exclusion then.

I do like the Anti-Want list though. Aura and Negator would make that list for me (and Anomaly and Prolong as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
There are plenty of other, better choices out there, and including it on the list is really pointless. I also didn't include Silencer, since I know it just isn't going to make it.

aww, that means I can't do Wrack + Silencer

W/S: SILENCE-->player being negotiated with

player: sullen look

W/S: speak up, please base for a base

player: steam blows out ears

W/S: What's that? I want a base for a base

player: eyes shoots daggers

W/S: I can't heeeeeeeear you: guess I get a base

Edit-per below, this is one that we played opposite/wrong. Still, I'd love to have either of these again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrack was the first thing I looked for in the list, until I remembered that Mite had taken its place. I prefer Wrack to Mite, honestly, but at least Mite is in the ballpark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Voted for Mesmer (favorite. alien. EVER.).

Yeah, that's the one I actually voted for too. Definite must-have. Fun, conceptually pithy, flexible ... yet requires difficult choices. Wonderful classic power.

The Warp wrote:
I do like the Anti-Want list though. Aura and Negator would make that list for me (and Anomaly and Prolong as well).

Yes, four excellent powers ... to slide a printout in front of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
aww, that means I can't do Wrack + Silencer

W/S: SILENCE-->player being negotiated with

player: sullen look

W/S: speak up, please base for a base

player: steam blows out ears

W/S: What's that? I want a base for a base

player: eyes shoots daggers

W/S: I can't heeeeeeeear you: guess I get a base

That doesn't work. A silenced player can't agree to a deal. The deal is automatically rejected. And the Wrack cannot stop torturing unless the other player agrees to the deal. If Wrack starts to torture a silenced player, he will lose the encounter.

Silencer/Wrack is not a super-combo, it's a self-defeating combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would vote for Silencer too...it's definitely a love/hate power, but it can be so fun and it's so outside the envelope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
That doesn't work. A silenced player can't agree to a deal. The deal is automatically rejected. And the Wrack cannot stop torturing unless the other player agrees to the deal. If Wrack starts to torture a silenced player, he will lose the encounter.

Silencer/Wrack is not a super-combo, it's a self-defeating combo.

As I was thumbing your post in agreement, I started to wonder ... maybe a silenced player can agree to a deal if it does not require anything to actually be specified by the silencee. The text (in both Eon and Mayfair) says "He may play tokens and cards normally if their meaning is clear".

Suppose my offer is "I'll give you a base on this planet for all your non-encounter cards." Can't you (as the silencee) play tokens onto the planet I've indicated and hand me your cards, thus signaling your acceptance since "their meaning is clear"?

Now, of course, we have to figure out whether you handing me cards is within the bounds of what the power meant by playing cards. If it is, I think that deal works. If it isn't, then probably we would be limited to "I'll give you a base right here if you give me one right there." You could agree to that deal by doing nothing more than "playing tokens normally".

Or, if I'm absolutely desperate to not lose any tokens to the warp, I could offer you a base on a particular planet for nothing in return, and you could either take it or wait out the 60 seconds. However, the reverse would not be possible: if I demanded a base while offering nothing in return, you would have no legal action by which to indicate your acceptance.

I guess that's one more reason to argue about Silencer, and one more reason (for me) to want something better in its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
I guess that's one more reason to argue about Silencer, and one more reason (for me) to want something better in its place.

Yeah, that pushes it right up the anti-list. I also see no point in printing Magnet and Crystal (unless they are combined into one power). I might also anti-list the crazy powers: Judge, Witch, Schizoid, and Force (which, like Worm, is missing from the list). But it's a hard decision, because in the old days, these were some of my favorites.

For the poll, I picked Pentaform because I like meta-powers and am wishing we could have one besides Reincarnator. I've never played it, because I never had a Mayfair set, but always liked it. I'd also like Boomerang, Berserker, and Skeptic. The rest on the poll are not that exciting to me, although I don't really know some of the Mayfair ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Force is a lucre alien, but it is definitely one that could pretty easily be turned into a non-lucre alien. I like the revisions that have already been done to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
Force is a lucre alien, but it is definitely one that could pretty easily be turned into a non-lucre alien. I like the revisions that have already been done to it.

Oh right -- in general, I'm not in favor of de-lucreizing aliens (like the now-thematically-ruined Ethic), because I would prefer to have a lucre expansion. However, Force never should have been a lucre alien anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Force never should have been a lucre alien anyway.

Quite right. The Force surrounds us, it penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together. That'll be one thousand Imperial credits, please.

Ever wonder where those little midichlorians keep their coins stashed? (Maybe that's why Anakin was so cranky.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.