Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

The Republic of Rome» Forums » Rules

Subject: imminent/non active wars... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jérôme Vorzanger
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hello,
I just bought the new version of the game few days ago, and after reading twice the rulebook + watching videos I still have a few questions. I am nt going to bombard yo with tons of questions but this one is like unsolved for me:

I dont really understand during the forum phase the section about imminent/non active and active wars.

With the example in the red box (the french rule book) on page 8 point 1.07.3321 it is mentionned that the third punic war is placed in the imminent war section, but I understood when reading the book that wars with shield/armements signs are immediately placed in active wars...

So can someone help me with how this part of forum phase works...


I will come back with one or two more questions afterwoods.


Thanks all.


ps: just wanted to mention the rule book is a real mess
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
I've only played the original Avalon Hill game, I'm not aware of the changes in the new version, but here is what I remember.

The war cards with the armaments sign were originally (I mean in the rulebook that came with the game) meant to activate immediately.

A question of balance arised, especially regarding the early republic deck when the luck of the draw could be devastating, and an unofficial but widely used house rule was suggetsed: the active war cards were given one turn of delay, giving the players a bit of time to react.

Maybe the new version uses this house rule as official and created an imminent war section on the board that, in the original, was missing.

Hope that helps
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme Vorzanger
Belgium
flag msg tools
thanks for the reply but I never read the old version of the book.

But I still need more details on those rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlo is correct. The Time Delay rule for matching wars became official as part of the Valley Games edition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the Valley Games edition includes the Imminent Wars rule. I think this is how it should work:

So when you draw a War/Revolt, first check for matching wars. If you find one, use the Imminent Wars rule.

If there are no matching wars, then check if the drawn War/Revolt matches any Leaders in the Curia. If so, the war and leader become an active war.

If there are no matching wars or leaders, then use the Armaments Icon to determine if the war will be active or inactive.




6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme Vorzanger
Belgium
flag msg tools
OK,
nice!
thank you Ted.

so am I right for this:

1- I draw a war with no armement it goes to non active
Then if I draw in the same turn or later a leader they go directly to actuve.

2- I draw an armement war it goes active directly, If I draw then a matching war it goes to imminent and the turn after to active.

3- I guess If I draw a leader and the war is active it joins automaticaly

4- I draw a leader without any wars it goes to the Curia. Then if the related war is drawn I place him directly to active if he did not die before.

5- I draw a war that could be related without any armement it goes to inactive. If in the same turn I draw a related war with armement or without it, that would mean that the first war that was drawned would go active and the second imminent.

6- What about there is only left an imminent war after all other wars were defeated and I draw a leader in the same turn does it become active directly?




Il come up with other questins and points...
thanks for help

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tedhkim wrote:
Yes the Valley Games edition includes the Imminent Wars rule. I think this is how it should work:

So when you draw a War/Revolt, first check for matching wars. If you find one, use the Imminent Wars rule.

If there are no matching wars, then check if the drawn War/Revolt matches any Leaders in the Curia. If so, the war and leader become an active war.

If there are no matching wars or leaders, then use the Armaments Icon to determine if the war will be active or inactive.


So the current Vassal module is one based on the AH edition, right? Can I play the game on Vassal with the new rules, assuming there is no such imminent war box in the Vassal module?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dodge
United States
PACIFIC PALISADES
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
tedhkim wrote:
Yes the Valley Games edition includes the Imminent Wars rule. I think this is how it should work:

So when you draw a War/Revolt, first check for matching wars. If you find one, use the Imminent Wars rule.

If there are no matching wars, then check if the drawn War/Revolt matches any Leaders in the Curia. If so, the war and leader become an active war.

If there are no matching wars or leaders, then use the Armaments Icon to determine if the war will be active or inactive.


So the current Vassal module is one based on the AH edition, right? Can I play the game on Vassal with the new rules, assuming there is no such imminent war box in the Vassal module?


Typically you place the war card face down in the inactive war area, since there's no "imminent war" box to put it in. During the next forum phase, the face down card is turned face up and it goes active if needed. I think the only exception is that only one war card of any given war goes active each turn (like the 1st punic is inactive at the start of the game, if you draw both the 2nd and 3rd in that first forum phase, they both go face down, and the 1st war is active. The following turn, the 2nd war goes active, but the 3rd still waits one more turn).

RJD
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
geekoo wrote:

6- What about there is only left an imminent war after all other wars were defeated and I draw a leader in the same turn does it become active directly?


I'm still quite a rookie with this game but if I may help (4 years after the last post whistle):

I believe fighting wars is done after drawing cards.

So if you defeat all wars, the imminent one will become active anyway next turn, whether you draw a leader or not during the following Forum phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.