Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve B
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So they say "Bro" describes black people. Awesome. "Super Mario Bros." is racist then. Also, don't forget fraternities... they are ALL racist for using the term casually. Seriously, this dude just wants attention.

It is my belief that those who use the excuse and/or fear of sexism or racism in this world are the biggest sexists and racists of them all, mainly because they believe it exists where it does not and use actual sexist/racist logic in their arguments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
...and Hipster is the new Nigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know drunk frat boy was a race....but I might be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I didn't know drunk frat boy was a race....but I might be wrong.

NO I think you are confusing Race with pointless waste of space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this relects our bro(kan) values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought bro was surfer/california slang. I ride light rail through the inner city every day and I don't recall anyone calling anyone else "bro". I've heard "brother", but that has whole different context than "bro". It would be like hearing "dude", it would be culturally out of place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While all the usual "oh ha ha the NAACP thinks "bro" is like "nigger" ha ha ha" jokes are of course endlessly hilarious, this is really an excellent example of how some people think racism can be anything (like the NAACP, in a situation where a predominantly white school taunts a predominantly black school in a way that was rude, unsportsmanlike and classless), and how some people think racism only exists when you use a specific set of codewords or act really, really terrible towards a certain ethnicity (like, for example, most of the posters on this thread).

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. I don't agree with the NAACP that this was a racist act, but it was certainly a dick move, and a dick move by a white community against a black community is the sort of thing the NAACP should jump in on, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole community put up the sign?

I didn't know the sign was that big!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
While all the usual "oh ha ha the NAACP thinks "bro" is like "nigger" ha ha ha" jokes ... like, for example, most of the posters on this thread...

If you are talking about me, well, my quote is actually meaningful. I know a lot of people who think that they could NEVER be discriminatory yet they feel it is ok to deride "hipsters" or call someone who lives a certain lifestyle "white trash" - these same would never be racist but they also think that because they are not racist then racism does not exist in the USA... certainly they would also think that this "bro" controversy was nothing to discuss. If people are not hypocritical then they are indeed ignorant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
While all the usual "oh ha ha the NAACP thinks "bro" is like "nigger" ha ha ha" jokes are of course endlessly hilarious, this is really an excellent example of how some people think racism can be anything (like the NAACP, in a situation where a predominantly white school taunts a predominantly black school in a way that was rude, unsportsmanlike and classless), and how some people think racism only exists when you use a specific set of codewords or act really, really terrible towards a certain ethnicity (like, for example, most of the posters on this thread).

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. I don't agree with the NAACP that this was a racist act, but it was certainly a dick move, and a dick move by a white community against a black community is the sort of thing the NAACP should jump in on, really.

Thank you, along with the NAACP, for reminding us, most of the posters in this thread, that it's not possible for a white entity to be a dick to a black entity in a non-racist way without having racist motives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

You mad, bro?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Thank you, along with the NAACP, for reminding us, most of the posters in this thread, that it's not possible for a white entity to be a dick to a black entity in a non-racist way without having racist motives.

You know what I like is the part where you totally ignored the bit where I said it wasn't racist so you could complain about accusations of racism!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that "bro" is not necessarily racist, and also that "bro" can be reasonably considered racist. It all depends on context. (The same is true for lots of things -- to name one of many examples, "girl" can be, context-dependently, innocuous or obnoxiously offensive.)

I don't know the context here, so I won't comment further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
How DARE you be so eminently reasonable, Lawson!!!

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
How DARE you be so eminently reasonable, Lawson!!!

Darilian

You know what really triggered this for me? Shakespeare.

My kids and I read Romeo and Juliet awhile back, and one aspect that stuck with all of us was one of the early scenes, where the various foot-soldiers of the houses are standing off with one another. Somebody wants to make a rude gesture -- "biting the thumb" at the other side. There's a whole series of comments about it: "Do you bite your thumb at ME?!?" and such.

It was hilarious and instructive because what's insulting is random to outsiders and, at the same time, very specific and pulse-elevating to those in the mix of it.

It's: I know that you know that I know that I'm insulting you. If that's there, then: BAM! It's on!

I don't know what the "bro" here was intended to be, and I don't know how it was read. That said, if it fit in the "I know that you know that I know" code -- which, admittedly, is subject to any one of many layers of misinterpretation -- and if part of the code involved trying to "play black" in an insulting way, then, yeah, that's raising an antagonistic race flag. From there, debate could continue about whether raising that flag is necessarily "racist".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
corross wrote:
I think that "bro" is not necessarily racist, and also that "bro" can be reasonably considered racist. It all depends on context. (The same is true for lots of things -- to name one of many examples, "girl" can be, context-dependently, innocuous or obnoxiously offensive.)

Exactly. It doesn't have to be rascist, but it could be. I am too lazy to click on the link to find out.

It's easy to be dismissive and cavalier, but context matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
I fuckin' 'ate bros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool story, bro!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Jim Bro laws are alive and well in the Heartland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that it is possible that a few uncool white kids who don't know their "bro" from their "brother" from their "daddy-o" made the sign with thinly veiled racist intent, not knowing they were just making themselves look dumb. Sort of like when a dad tries to use current slang to try and look cool around his kids friends, only succeeding in mortifying his kids.

I'm leaning towards the internet saying theory myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
corross wrote:

You're such a girl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
U Mad, Brio?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew
United Kingdom
Co. Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
I fuckin' 'ate bros.

When will I, will I be famous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought a bro was an article of apparel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.