Subject: Wishes for Kingdom Builder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hope they stick with the medieval theme. I always thought that such a setting would make for a great game but sadly it seems under-exploited by board game designers.

Can you imagine even for a moment stepping back in time to those days? Where would you go? Who would you meet? Maybe a trip to the Blacksmith is in order, or perhaps an errant Knight would stop by for gruel. No doubt we'd have to curry favour with the local lord in his castle, he seems to have an insatiable lust for 'victory points' whatever they are.

Such a rich and rewarding world, I cannot understand for the life of me why it remains untapped by the board game community.

Seriously.

EDIT: Spelling. Again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I see what you did there....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Mercier
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

Seriously.

I am totally with you on this one.
Games set in the medieval world are too far in between.

I myself dabble with the (quite audacious if I dare say) idea of designing a tile laying game where you would build a fortified medieval city in Southern France.

And I wish somebody would be bold enough to publish a game using Italian Renaissance, the Second World War or the Lord of the Rings as settings. For a change.

Who knows ? Perhaps some day ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
cube wrote:
And I wish somebody would be bold enough to publish a game using Italian Renaissance, the Second World War or the Lord of the Rings as settings. For a change.

Who knows ? Perhaps some day ?

Perchance to dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, who'd a thunk it? Such an innovative theme...

Still, if this has anything to do with logistics, I might be very well interested!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
I just hope they stick with the medieval theme. I always thought that such a setting would make for a great game but sadly it seems under-exploited by board game designers.

Can you imagine even for a moment stepping back in time to those days? Where would you go? Who would you meet? Maybe a trip to the Blacksmith is in order, or perhaps an errant Knight would stop by for gruel. No doubt we'd have to curry favour with the local lord in his castle, he seems to have an insatiable lust for 'victory points' whatever they are.

Such a rich and rewarding world, I cannot understand for the life of me why it remains untapped by the board game community.

Seriously.

Take it easy, man! Your sarcasm just dripped all over my gruel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 but only if it can also tie in zombies, aliens, and dragons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Mercier
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
+1 but only if it can also tie in zombies, aliens, and dragons.

Well, as long as they give up with their Pakistanese setting and don't try to push another donkey racing LCG I am satisfied.
We've seen enough of that stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously though, it would be so much better if they rethemed this into Elves and Dwarves fighting Dragons and Undead. Or maybe Vampires and Werewolves? Either of those. These are the themes we need to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Summer Studying!
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

Seriously.

I truly wish that people, rather than spending time on sarcasm, might instead provide game designers and other users with constructive criticism. Pointing out the prevalence of the chosen theme seems utterly pointless - there are multitudes of games based around virtually every historical war and period. By contrast, providing detailed feedback on how the game design functions (for example, how it affects game play) would be far more useful and positive. I can only hope that the game designer received more productive criticism in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh come on!

They were just kidding! It wasn't meant to be aggressive or anything... we're talking about games!
And I'll probably buy it because it looks like a good game (and I really like Dominion...), even though I have next to no info on it... but it still looks appealing.

EDIT: and by the way... Even Donald somewhat joked about the theme... he said that he hasn't a pile of medieval themed games ready to be published. 20's gangsters are more of his thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

If somebody could combine all three of these in a credible way, I'd be tempted...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the bright side, ancient Egypt is starting to look fresh again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedigirl wrote:

I truly wish that people, rather than spending time on sarcasm, might instead provide game designers and other users with constructive criticism. Pointing out the prevalence of the chosen theme seems utterly pointless - there are multitudes of games based around virtually every historical war and period. By contrast, providing detailed feedback on how the game design functions (for example, how it affects game play) would be far more useful and positive. I can only hope that the game designer received more productive criticism in the future.

Not so much Killjoy, as batter joy to death with a tire iron, burn joy's body, then throw the seared husk of joy off a cliff and into the sea, whereupon you machine gun joy's sinking corpse from the clifftop.

I'm just glad boardgame designers don't take the same view of frivolity as you, or there wouldn't be any games to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Mercier
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kevinj wrote:
Quote:

If somebody could combine all three of these in a credible way, I'd be tempted...

Kevin ! Here is something of interest.
Speaking of Renaissance art collecting Balrogs landing on a Normandy beach, here is a game designer who will astonish you.
Check this man :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/1069/willi-so...

He is a true non frivolous genius. They say he virtually taught R. Knizia how to spell the word "auction" and in fact stood behind the idea of the victory points track, the infamous Kramer-Leiste.

Even more amazing : Willi Sonderling was pumping out deck building games long before D. Vaccarino shuffled his first hand of 5 cards !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested... I hope that, unlike Dominion, this game will not have 1000 expansions let's see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
This sentiment would have applied just as well if the designer decided to use a theme like: civilization, warfare, trains, ancient times, mythology, pirates, farming, World War II, fantasy, horror, space exploration, or zombies.

In music, there are only 12 standard notes. Similarly with games, there are only a handful of themes. I feel it is what you do with those themes (or notes) that is truly significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone - just a reminder that we do actually have rules on this site and if you break them there are consequences. If you see something you want to react negatively to, flag it and forget it.

Using the icon serves two functions - first, if enough users flag a post then it will be collapsed from general view. Second, flagging posts helps bring them to the attention of the forum moderators.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel this "sarcastic rant" wasn't directed towards anybody in particular and certainly not Donald himself...

Nobody said that medieval games are bad or that Kingdom Builder is going to suck because of the theme... he was just pointing out something that everybody knows (and this also made it funny, otherwise you wouldn't "get it") and it HAPPENED to be on this board...

As I said in my previous post... Even Donald commentend on this: " Anyway I do not have a big pile of medieval kingdom-building games lying around. The other new game I hope will come out in October is mad scientist themed, and the most common theme among my prototypes is 20s gangsters. Now you know."

Now, I don't know if anybody owns stock and shares for "Medieval games Inc.", but I don't know how one could get upset as no one ever questioned the quality of those games.

And in most cases games with a medieval theme have a pasted-on theme (meaning that you could keep the same mechanics and use another theme and it would still work), so it's very easy to somewhat forget about the fact that you play in a medieval setting. So, the two things are so disconnected that even by directly insulting the theme (which wasn't the case) you CAN'T insult the game itself.

We'll this is my opinion...

I'm a bit disappointed, I thought this kind of stuff went on only on TricTrac... (admittedly, only because of some members...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackRainbow wrote:
I feel this "sarcastic rant" wasn't directed towards anybody in particular and certainly not Donald himself...

It really wasn't.

I play Dominion all the time with my family and am currently obsessed with A Game of Thrones so it's not like I hate medieval/fantasy games I was just making a joke.

A joke with a hint of truth though; how many games really NEED to have the theme 'medieval' because it's integral to the gameplay, and how many have it because game companies bought up a job lot of art assets featuring castles and fair maidens and ..... zzzz

Then surprise surprise, some BGGers thought that because I was taking a pop at something they liked I was taking a pop at them directly and may have over-reacted slightly (changing your username to a specific rant against me??)

Ain't no rage like nerd-rage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Mercier
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

I play Dominion all the time with my family

So you did manage to raise a family despite that stringy hair of yours ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Freeman
Canada
Vancouver
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
This sentiment would have applied just as well if the designer decided to use a theme like: civilization, warfare, trains, ancient times, mythology, pirates, farming, World War II, fantasy, horror, space exploration, or zombies.

In music, there are only 12 standard notes. Similarly with games, there are only a handful of themes. I feel it is what you do with those themes (or notes) that is truly significant.

These are the themes that are popular, but there are infinite themes that haven't been touched on at all. Dominant Species comes to mind as a recent example. I like kingdom building as much as the next guy but I also find it exciting when designers try something that hasn't been done before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon L
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cube wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

Actually that's an old photo of ol'HarlemMimeSchool...15-20 years ago maybe. He looks a lot older now and you should hear his British accent with out his teeth in...funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Turri
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trailofdead wrote:
cube wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

Actually that's an old photo of ol'HarlemMimeSchool...15-20 years ago maybe. He looks a lot older now and you should hear his British accent with out his teeth in...funny.

I thought it was a picture of David Carradine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Freeman
Canada
Vancouver
B.C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackRainbow wrote:
trailofdead wrote:
cube wrote:
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

I thought it was a picture of David Carradine...

I thought it was that wiley old dude stalking the halls of Hogwarts who's always trying to spoil Harry Potter and the gang's fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.