Subject: Questions, Errata and Tips about Albuera raised in my game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi mate, i'm starting my second battle of the "La Battaille" series.
After la Corunna, we chose Albuera as our second step into the system!

In my first game many question about La Corunna raised and i asked them by private message to the Designer. But i think that a thread would be helpfull for other gamers, also because it could include some Errata.

Actually we're at the start of the 11.00 turn, but some question and errata are already raised. Here we go!

Errata 1 : In the "1re Brigade de Cavalerie Légère" (Latour-Maubourg) the 4e CaC d’Espagne have a movement potential of 12. For the series rules they would be a heavy cavalry, but the name "chasseur d'espagne" and their presence in the 1re brigade the cavalerie legere let me think that they're light cavalry.
Also they're considered Spanish for the purpouse of the morale check for made charge?
We use them as light, without the penalty for the spanish cavalry, but some info in the manual would be better.

Errata 2 : in page 18 of the special rules the 28 regiment of the second division is specified as line, but it's instead a legere regiment.

Errata 3 : This one i'm not sure but i think that in the setup of the spanish the name of a leader is mistake, but it's my frined that spot that and i don't remember what it is... i'll edit this tomorrow.

Albuera 1 : Spanish cavalry must made a morale check before charge, that's mean that for reaction charge or opportunity charge, they must made two check (one for the normal rules and one for the special rules) or only one? We're doing that they had to do only 1 check for opportunity or reaction.

Albuera 2 : In the weather table, under foq : "artillery ranges halved" that's mean that the short, medium and long range are all halved or that only the long range are halved? The ranges are halved FRD or FRU? We made that all ranges are halved FRD.

more will follow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
>Spanish cavalry must made a morale check before charge, that's mean that for reaction charge or opportunity charge, they must made two check (one for the normal rules and one for the special rules) or only one? We're doing that they had to do only 1 check for opportunity or reaction.

The special rule only applies to a regular charge.

If the rule applied also to Op or Reaction charges it would list them as well.

>In the weather table, under foq : "artillery ranges halved" that's mean that the short, medium and long range are all halved or that only the long range are halved? The ranges are halved FRD or FRU? We made that all ranges are halved FRD.

The long range value is halved.

The Chasseurs a Cheval d'Espagne should be treated as regular light cavalry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the artillery ranges halved, let's simplify and limit the range of artillery to 4 hexes in Fog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer.
Here i add a general rules question.

Question 1 : A light cavalry charge another cavalry. The result of the melee is DD1.
The defending cavalry disorder and retreat 1 hex due to the DD1, losing also an increment because he's leaving (involuntary movement) the ZOI of an enemy cavalry.

At this point in the step "6 - Advance after charge" the attacking cavalry disorder and occupy the vacated hex and become disorder. (ending the advance adjacent the retreating cavalry)

Now it's the turn of the step "7 - Pursuit" and i don't understand well how it works. The rules say that the number of hexes of the pursuit is equal of the number of DD# (max 3) and for each hex of pursuit the defending stack lose an increment.

Ok in a DD1 seem that the pursuit is of 1 hex but actually after the advance after charge segment the two cavalry are already adjacent so no hex of pursuit actually exist...

The question is : how many increment lost the retreating cavalry?
1 for exit a ZOI during the retreat, 1 for the pursuit (also if there's "no real pursuit" but only an advance after charge) and 1 for being pursuit by a light cavalry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is never pursuit after a cavalry vs. cavalry melee. Follow the Cavalry vs. Cavalry melee procedure, which does not have a pursuit step.

If the target was infantry then on a DD1, after the advance after charge, there would not be any pursuit, because the cavalry is now adjacent. The pursuit losses the retreating units incur are the actual number of hexes pursued. The # in DD# is the maximum number of hexes that COULD be pursued providing the way is clear, no recall, etc., but it is not necessarily the length of the actual pursuit which could be limited due to other circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You right!

Seem that we miss something.

So, also if the Defending Cavalry PGD there's no Pursuit, so the max damage that a cavalry could inflict to other cavalry (without any interventing external circumstance) is up to 1 increment due to the involuntary move out of the ZOI of the attacking Cavalry?

Instead in a Cavalry vs Infantry where there's Pursuit, the DD1 don't allow a pursuit as the two unit are already adjacent at the beginning of the pursuit segment. (other than allow a pursuit if the defending unit was already disorder and become PGD)
So in the previous example, the infantry retreating have lose only 1 increment as there's no Pursuit. If the result was DD2 the same infantry have losed 3 increment. (1 for exit ZOI, 1 for pursuit +1 for light cavalry pursuit)

Many thanks for the clarification, i'm going right now to play another session of the game, i'll come back with more question for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
>So, also if the Defending Cavalry PGD there's no Pursuit

Not quite. Here is the wrinkle.

If the unit is PGD use the Cavalry vs PGD procedure.

In this case there would be pursuit and losses (scooping up prisoners). In practice though PGD cavalry rarely gets charged, because their high movement allowance lets them get out of trouble quickly.

>So in the previous example, the infantry retreating have lose only 1 increment as there's no Pursuit. If the result was DD2 the same infantry have losed 3 increment. (1 for exit ZOI, 1 for pursuit +1 for light cavalry pursuit)

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Errata 3 : In the setup page or in the OOB page those two leader are inverted : Lardizabal - Ballesteros

Errata 4 : Pag 6 of the main rules. The image are changed but not the description of them, so the rules refer to unit that's not represented by the actual counters.

Question 2 : When an OOC unit reach the command span of their leader, if it has some left movement point, can it change facing?

Question 3 : If an artillery and a unit in line are stacked in the same hex with a leader and the infantry unit take a step loss due to normal fire (infantry or mitraille fire), the whole stack had to take a morale check. The first unit that have to test the morale is the top unit or the infantry unit at the bottom of the stack?
What happen if the infantry unit pass the morale and the artillery fail? The artillery disorder and is displaced?

Question 4 : In the new rules the movement potential of OOC unit to return in Command is halved. (to prevent kedging!)
In my game of albuera i don't understand all the implication of that and i moved the girard corp infantry fast and i leave the artillery behind to let them arrive later. But after looking at the cost to cross the river i see that's 1mp (clear) +2 for arroyo (at ford).
that's mean that with the new rules all the artillery with 5 mp can't cross the river in the regroup chit! That's a problem because or i slow down really much my advance or i'd to use a lot of MU and ADC to help artillery cross the river. There's no a "minimum move" in this game? A possible idea could be that a unit can always make a 1 hex move (EXC:impassable terrain) but if it cost more than his MP he test morale and end disorder on the target hex. (if fail)

Question 5 : A single unit that enter as a reinforcement (in albuera you can bring unit on the map when you want) could receive an administrative march? (I mean if to get an administrative march you need to have a leader)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arlecchino wrote:

Question 2 : When an OOC unit reach the command span of their leader, if it has some left movement point, can it change facing?

No.

Arlecchino wrote:

Question 3 : If an artillery and a unit in line are stacked in the same hex with a leader and the infantry unit take a step loss due to normal fire (infantry or mitraille fire), the whole stack had to take a morale check. The first unit that have to test the morale is the top unit or the infantry unit at the bottom of the stack?
What happen if the infantry unit pass the morale and the artillery fail? The artillery disorder and is displaced?

The top unit always takes the morale check first. If it passes then the next unit in the stack checks its morale against the same die roll with +3 to the dice, the next checks with +6, etc.

If the one unit passes and the other fails, then the disordered unit displaces.

Arlecchino wrote:

Question 4 : In the new rules the movement potential of OOC unit to return in Command is halved. (to prevent kedging!)
In my game of albuera i don't understand all the implication of that and i moved the girard corp infantry fast and i leave the artillery behind to let them arrive later. But after looking at the cost to cross the river i see that's 1mp (clear) +2 for arroyo (at ford).
that's mean that with the new rules all the artillery with 5 mp can't cross the river in the regroup chit! That's a problem because or i slow down really much my advance or i'd to use a lot of MU and ADC to help artillery cross the river. There's no a "minimum move" in this game? A possible idea could be that a unit can always make a 1 hex move (EXC:impassable terrain) but if it cost more than his MP he test morale and end disorder on the target hex. (if fail)

Don't leave the artillery behind. Can you imagine explaining to your superior why you lost all your artillery, because you left it behind to fend for itself?

Arlecchino wrote:

Question 5 : A single unit that enter as a reinforcement (in albuera you can bring unit on the map when you want) could receive an administrative march? (I mean if to get an administrative march you need to have a leader)

Yes, a leader is required, because administrative march is a type of MU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 5b : About the administrative march. Could i form an MU with Ruty and all the artillery corps assets? I mean : could the corps asset be attached to an leader or ADC in that corps other than to a Division, Brigade etc... (in practice : form a formation with all the assets an artillery leader or ADC don't belonging to a division brigade etc...)

Question 6 : My friend that played the old rules of la battaille series don't understand why in the actual rules seem that's better always charge in line with heavy cavalry other than the usual "historical" column of company. Actually if you charge in column you have your melee value really lowered and there's the risk to roll low on the odds table. He said that in the old rules a heavy cavalry that charges in column of company had his melee value doubled.

There's some design or historical explanation under that changes or we miss something in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arlecchino wrote:
Question 5b : About the administrative march. Could i form an MU with Ruty and all the artillery corps assets? I mean : could the corps asset be attached to an leader or ADC in that corps other than to a Division, Brigade etc... (in practice : form a formation with all the assets an artillery leader or ADC don't belonging to a division brigade etc...)

Not unless by special rule.

If you would like to delay the entry of the artillery, the best bet for them is to attach them to another command, say Vare, and bring them in with that MU creating an admin march with Vare.

Arlecchino wrote:
Question 6 : My friend that played the old rules of la battaille series don't understand why in the actual rules seem that's better always charge in line with heavy cavalry other than the usual "historical" column of company. Actually if you charge in column you have your melee value really lowered and there's the risk to roll low on the odds table. He said that in the old rules a heavy cavalry that charges in column of company had his melee value doubled.

There's some design or historical explanation under that changes or we miss something in the rules?

I don't think there is any evidence that heavy cavalry was deficient when in line formation. It is true that they often charged in successive waves, but they could accomplish that from line as well as column.

Also, with respect to units in line, if there are more than 4 increments in the regiment and they are in a single hex, then they are not really in line, but are in a column of close companies (i.e. with the distance between squadrons closed up) or perhaps a column at half or quarter distance. Or perhaps they simply doubled their ranks to create a shorter frontage. There are a number of possibilities for what is happening inside of the hex. This is true for the infantry as well when they have more than 4 increments crammed in a single hex in line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi mate another question raised in my game.

I know that to exit a ZOI, a unit need to be stacked with a leader and need to roll on morale and became disorder if fail or PGD if fail and already disorder.

The question is : must the leader follow the unit that exit tha ZOI or could he stay in the starting hex (maybe because there's other unit or also alone)?

Another question. If it don't have to follow the exiting unit, what happen if the exiting unit become PGD? He must accompany the routing unit as per rules also if he's not trying to exit the ZOI?

Our understandment of the rules is that the leader don't need to follow a unit that exit a ZOI but if that unit PGD and it's the only unit in the leaving hex he must follow the PGD routing unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arlecchino wrote:

The question is : must the leader follow the unit that exit tha ZOI or could he stay in the starting hex (maybe because there's other unit or also alone)?

See 13.1.8.3 and 13.1.8.4.

If the leader begins stacked with the units he may exit the ZoI, or attempt to at least, and then move to another stack. If that stack then moves the leader may accompany the stack, but must remain with that stack.

If the leader does not begin stacked with the units exiting ZoI, he can move to them, help them leave ZoI, but must remain with those units.

Arlecchino wrote:

Another question. If it don't have to follow the exiting unit, what happen if the exiting unit become PGD? He must accompany the routing unit as per rules also if he's not trying to exit the ZOI?

Our understandment of the rules is that the leader don't need to follow a unit that exit a ZOI but if that unit PGD and it's the only unit in the leaving hex he must follow the PGD routing unit.

See above for the first part. If the units become PGD and rout then the leader would be swept away with them. See 8.1.6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry maybe i don't explaine well.

A leader start his activation stacked with one or more units in a hex that is in a ZOI of an enemy unit.

If a unit or both or all want to exit that zoi a leader must be present in the hex, but he had to exit with the unit or he can stay in that hex also alone and move in other direction than the exiting unit or simply stay in the hex alone?

The rules say that a leader must be present in the hex, not that the leader must follow the exiting unit. It's correct? (10.2.2 Exiting a Zone of Influence: Infantry and foot artillery units may not voluntarily exit an enemy Zone of Influence unless they have a leader present in their hex.)

P.s.: But if the unit trying to extit fail is morale roll and become PGD (due to being already disorder) i think that the leader must follow the "now PGD unit" and can't stay in the hex also if he doesn't want to exit that ZOI with the exiting unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arlecchino wrote:

If a unit or both or all want to exit that zoi a leader must be present in the hex, but he had to exit with the unit or he can stay in that hex also alone and move in other direction than the exiting unit or simply stay in the hex alone?

Yes, the leader could remain in the hex and then move independently of the unit withdrawing from ZoI.

Arlecchino wrote:

P.s.: But if the unit trying to exit fail its morale roll and become PGD (due to being already disorder) i think that the leader must follow the "now PGD unit" and can't stay in the hex also if he doesn't want to exit that ZOI with the exiting unit.

Correct. The leader would be swept away with the routing unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks, so we did it correctly. We starting to understand that game. :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 7 : in our last session happen that a stack of spanish squadron with a leader want to charge. The question is : the morale check that spanish had to make is one for all the stack or one for every unit? Note that i think that squadron could be stacked as if a single unit, but i'm not sure that also because they could be considered a single unit for stacking purpouse they're also considered a single unit for all other game circumstance.

If they could make a charge with only one morale roll, they had to use the topmost unit in the stack morale?

This is a usefull question also for reaction charge... if i've two cavalry unit stacked and i want them to reactive charge or opportunity charge they had to made a single or two separate roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arlecchino wrote:
Question 7 : in our last session happen that a stack of spanish squadron with a leader want to charge. The question is : the morale check that spanish had to make is one for all the stack or one for every unit? Note that i think that squadron could be stacked as if a single unit, but i'm not sure that also because they could be considered a single unit for stacking purpouse they're also considered a single unit for all other game circumstance.

If they could make a charge with only one morale roll, they had to use the topmost unit in the stack morale?

A stack of cavalry only needs to make one roll.

For the ML rules only the top unit takes the morale check. If it passes all pass and if it fails all fail.

For the Regs the standard morale check rule applies. If the top unit passes, then the next checks its morale against the same roll with a +3 modifier, then the next in the stack checks with +6, etc. Anyplace in the stack where a unit fails all below it automatically fail as well.

The morale checks apply to reaction and opportunity charges by definition since morale checks are always required in these circumstances. The Spanish only need to check morale once in these cases, just like everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 8 : If a unit in a multihex line try to exit a ZOI and fails, it disorder and don't move. But it had to consolidate into one hex. Wich one is choosen? Could happen that one of the multihexline hex is adjacent to the enemo unit but no the others... so that's important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Doherty
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arlecchino wrote:
Question 8 : If a unit in a multihex line try to exit a ZOI and fails, it disorder and don't move. But it had to consolidate into one hex. Wich one is choosen? Could happen that one of the multihexline hex is adjacent to the enemo unit but no the others... so that's important.

See rule 12.11, 5th sentence. The owning player can choose any of their constituent hexes to collapse into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.