Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Gears of War: The Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Solo report: Augustus' last stand. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After having a few rough solo sessions earlier, I decided to try another solo game to see how well I could do. I went with the Emergence scenario, with Augustus Cole as my COG.

The board layout was rather favorable for me: 16A, 9A, 12A, 2A. This setup meant that the three wretches started off close to me, and the two drones were further away. The first few rounds were pretty uneventful, as the first few AI cards did very little except spawn a Boomer near the end and move the drones closer a bit. Soon enough I was able to mop up the wretches, play an Explore and grab more ammo for my lancer, and get into a nice, defensible spot in a corner. Still moving forward cautiously, I was almost never at less than four cards in hand, and usually when I did get low it was because I was chucking them for guards and dropped weapons.

At about this point I realized I had played a card wrong earlier, and double-checked the rules to see if I was indeed wrong. Sure enough, it turns out you can't grab a weapon or use a location card (or revive a downed COG, for that matter) in the middle of movement, you had to be in between dots on your order card. Whoops. Something to note for next time, I guess.

Eventually, I made it to tile 12A, and was able to camp on the grenades for a few turns. I lobbed one at the emergence hole where a recently-spawned boomer was standing, and... success, an omen! The boomer survived, but the hole was sealed up, and the only enemies left on the board were another drone from an earlier card, the wounded boomer, and the wretch and boomer that just spawned from the scenario cards. With my hand holding a full mitt of cards, I was ready to weather the storm. A grenade on the wretch and drone that happened to wander to the same spot was enough to take care of them, and it was just me and the boomers.

Next AI card (that I didn't have to discard): Boomers attack if within 3 range. I checked, and sure enough, I was just in range. I pitched a card to guard and shoot at the wounded boomer with the Hammerburst I picked up earlier, thanks to the longer range, and it was just me and one locust left.

About this time I remembered something about grenade range. Yet again, I had slipped up on a rule, and I was actually out of range of the emergence hole when I tried to grenade it. Ah well, another rule I'll have to remember next time.

And then the boomer shot at me. Sure, four dice, might hurt a bit, but I was in full cover, so three defense dice. I rolled, and..

5 hits.
0 shields.

My heart sank. My hand was full at the start of my turn, but after the mandatory discard for attack, and another discard for guarding, and I had only four cards left. And five damage to take. So much for my almost-win. Not wanting to just give up however, I decided to see what would have happened if I survived, and rerolled the attack. Only three damage this time, so I discarded everything except the Sit Tight I was holding on to. Draw up to three, play it, draw two more and move the boomer, then skip straight to my next turn and draw up to six. A pummel and a few ammo tokens won the game for me, or at least would have if I didn't have horrible luck.

I'm thinking I might add in another small rule for solo games for next time: you can't go from 4 or more cards in hand to bleeding out from a single attack. Either that, or the first time you would be bleeding out, you survive with 0 cards in hand (but could still die to another attack the same turn). The thinking here is, in a 2P game, a single attack can't down more than one COG, so even if a horrible roll means you're bleeding out, there's another player to mop up and revive you. In a solo game, no such luck.

Anyway, time's short so I can't play another game, but hopefully soon I'll be able to beat this scenario and go on to the next.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
The thinking here is, in a 2P game, a single attack can't down more than one COG, so even if a horrible roll means you're bleeding out, there's another player to mop up and revive you. In a solo game, no such luck.


But a single attack CAN down more than one COG. Look at the Boomer's special for an example of a way to damage more than one of you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun session. Try this for "solo" play next time: forget the solo rules, and run two COGs.
TK
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rkhigdon wrote:
But a single attack CAN down more than one COG. Look at the Boomer's special for an example of a way to damage more than one of you.


While true, such a scenario would be incredibly rare. Since omens don't damage the main target, you'd have to have both characters on the same space and both already low on health, plus make a very exact roll on both the attack and defense dice. Possible, yes, but much more unlikely, I think.

As for playing as two COGs, I think I'll do that next time. I"m still getting the rules down right now though, so I didn't want to complicate things too much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cole, while great for multiple COGs,is not very useful for strictly solo play. Yeah you can use any card to guard, but you totally lose the ability to guard twice in a single locust activation.

I'm not sure how rare Boomers taking down multiple COGs is. Seems to happen a lot to me. We try to stay out of the same area for just this reason, but then someone goes down and needs to be revived up pops a Boomer activation card, bye bye COGs.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
Cole, while great for multiple COGs,is not very useful for strictly solo play. Yeah you can use any card to guard, but you totally lose the ability to guard twice in a single locust activation.

I'm not sure how rare Boomers taking down multiple COGs is. Seems to happen a lot to me. We try to stay out of the same area for just this reason, but then someone goes down and needs to be revived up pops a Boomer activation card, bye bye COGs.

You have no idea how MANY times that happened to me while Playing GoW multi-player... Gear goes down. I, nice guy that I am, rush over to "help him up".

The last thing I hear is a boomshot firing...

Both me and my buddy go *KER-SPLAT-O!!!*

shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the video game, when the Boomers say "BOOOOMMMM" right before or as they fire is easily my most favorite sound effect in the game. So when my son and I play the boardgame, we say it for them. We just can't resist.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Bingham
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
In the video game, when the Boomers say "BOOOOMMMM" right before or as they fire is easily my most favorite sound effect in the game. So when my son and I play the boardgame, we say it for them. We just can't resist.




Glad to know I'm not the only one giving voice to the Boomers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brown
United States
University
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Selurevad wrote:
In the video game, when the Boomers say "BOOOOMMMM" right before or as they fire is easily my most favorite sound effect in the game. So when my son and I play the boardgame, we say it for them. We just can't resist.


Our first playthrough was last night and a friend of mine kept doing the exact same thing.

Awesome that your kid plays, too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second that. I've played the Emergence scenario twiew now, first with 1 figure, then with 2 figures. The latter was more fun. Also, to be able to use all the mulitplayer rules is a plus, since you don't have to read up on "bleeding out", 2+ cards etc whenever you want to invite others to play with you.

The only downside to solo play is that I've found it ridiculously easy, even with "insane difficulty" setting. Next time, I'm going to play with 2 figures, but spawn figures as if I had 3 figures in play. Come get some!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
massbalance wrote:
I second that. I've played the Emergence scenario twiew now, first with 1 figure, then with 2 figures. The latter was more fun. Also, to be able to use all the mulitplayer rules is a plus, since you don't have to read up on "bleeding out", 2+ cards etc whenever you want to invite others to play with you.

The only downside to solo play is that I've found it ridiculously easy, even with "insane difficulty" setting. Next time, I'm going to play with 2 figures, but spawn figures as if I had 3 figures in play. Come get some!

I have got to think that the difficulty comment MUST be limited to "Emergence" - because solo with two figures took me 4-5 tries to pass China Shop and 13 tries to pass Belly of the Beast - it was ANYTHING but too easy. It was downright punishing... In a great way.

GOW is one of the few games I play where a loss is totally entertaining. Which is good, because it happens - a lot. I am getting better, but ideal actions change frequently with level and COG combination so nothing has gotten stale yet. I actually passed Roadblocks for the first time without using Augustus - which surprised me.

The game is great... Oh, and the first time I botched Roadblocks - moved my COGs together and got Boooomed! to end the game right after that... Oops!

OSG
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.