Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I just got in a game of Here I Stand this weekend, the parts of the system that I don't like are fresh in my mind (I like the game, although it's tough to get to the table). So I have a few questions for the playtesters (or Ed).

1) How many cards does each power typically play each turn (assuming no holds)? Do you have something where one player gets 4-5 while another gets 7-8?

2) How many cards force discards (random or other) from another player?

3) Is there any mechanism similar to Mary where people randomly lose control of their actions?

In general, my issue is that if I play a game that takes 5+ hours, I don't mind losing, but I want to be playing the game and making my own decisions (right or wrong). I don't mind staking everything on a die roll, but I don't want to make a die roll to see whether I get to take my turn.

4) What percentage of the deck is dealt out each turn? What's the rough breakdown of Op values (how many 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s and, God help me, 6s). [I'm assuming the same deck rules are used --shuffle and redeal each turn]. Roughly what percentage of events are mandatory? The components list makes me think this is composed of 3 55-card decks (112 Strategy cards + 22 Leaders doesn't work out either way, although I suppose it could be 110 cards and a typo, with the leaders being counters, not cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally off topic, but did you have Mary come into play? And that was your first game? I've played a bunch and have yet to see that happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, although realistically she shouldn't have come into play as early as she did. Mary arrived on the first impulse of T7, but the Ottoman player was new and didn't realize the impact it would have. (He never mentioned it during negotiations. Since he was at war with the Hapsburgs, who only ended at 24 due to other horrible luck, he had incentives to hold off).

Of course, I could have tried for a healthy Edward to avoid Mary (and perhaps I should have) but I got a sickly Edward on my first roll (1532 scenario) and decided to live with it.

That's the first time we've seen her, but not my first game (my 6th, according to logging). Partially because our first 3-4 games were the 1517 games, and ended on time or victory before turn 6 or 7. I'm thinking about a variant to make Mary more deterministic, but still painful (she'd cede cards during the negotiation phase and when she appeared, not randomly on each card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I don't have much information, I do know that issue #1 (the Haps getting twice as many impulses as everyone else) has been at least partially resolved in VQ. Colonial riches now come as chits that let you add to the ops value of a card you play, but don't give you more impulses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Regarding Mary, she really stops being a hindrance to the English player once England has been fully counter-reformed (which tends to happen quickly, given the gigantic incentive for the Pope to have English debates). At that point you are back in control and can shoot for military victory as England in HIS. Also, remember that Mary is supposed to be very bad for the English. Her coming into play is quite rare, but the fact that she is so nasty forces the English into using their HC for wives instead of wars, or else ...

As far as I can remember, there is no similar mechanism to Mary in VQ. (But she can be captured and executed! Fitting revenge for those of us who've had to play with her as ruler in HIS.)

There are still differences in hand sizes. I wouldn't consider 7-8 cards to 4-5 cards to be crippling; try when the Emperor has 12 cards and you've been excommunicated as France ...

In the current card manifest there are 3½ cards out of 112 that force you to discard or have another player draw a card from you. (The one I count as ½ is Puritans: The English player must choose to allow you to either (1) draw a random card from his hand or (2) add unrest to 3 unoccupied spaces in England. If the card draw is selected, draw the card and reveal it to all players. Then choose to either discard the drawn card or give it to the Protestant player (you may not keep it yourself unless you are Protestant).) Additionally, if you're hit by Army Mutiny you can choose to discard a card or a treasure chit to keep some regulars, much like Mercs Demand Pay in HIS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
As far as I can remember, there is no similar mechanism to Mary in VQ. (But she can be captured and executed! Fitting revenge for those of us who've had to play with her as ruler in HIS.)

Be careful, don't confuse your (devoutly Catholic) Marys! shake There are two of them in these times. In HIS, it is Mary Tudor, daughter of Henry VIII by Katherine of Aragon (and Elizabeth's sister). Here in Virgin Queen it is Mary Queen of Scots that is the central figure. Though she's also a claimant to the English throne, she's the daughter of James V of Scotland and Marie de Guise (of France).

And no, there is no mechanic like the Mary I ruling England one that makes an appearance in VQ. Kristian is spot on in giving the reason that penalty needs to be so severe in HIS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
don't confuse your (devoutly Catholic) Marys

One of whom (Queen of Scots) just got married to the very Protestant William of Orange in our current game...not quite sure how that happened

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Mary Schmary, I'll execute all of 'em!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan P.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
As mentioned, the colonial riches make sure that Spain doesen't have 14 cards to everybody else's 5-6.

You kind of take a double impulse, with a card *and* a treasure. You can't use the treasure to do the same thing as your card did, which limits the power of it. For instance, you coudn't build 5 mercs with a card, then 4 mercs and move to battle with a treasure. You could, however, build 5 mercs with a card then patronize a scientist with a treasure.

The strongest plays are event-treasure back-to-back. There was some discussion of what to allow with the Milan Road - spring deploy to the netherands, then build and siege is particularly strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question for playtesters: is it fair to say that VQ is more interactive during the action rounds than HIS? I count 21 cards out of the 112 that are either explicitly Response cards (by virtue of the blue title bar) or event/home cards that say in the text that they may be played as a response. This is one of the first things that struck me while poring over the deck.

I know that it may be a crude and imperfect measure to use for comparison, but HIS has only 8 Response cards out of 110.

I'm so excited to play this game that I could burst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.