Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I did it. I went ahead and bought a backup copy of the game and both expansions. I suppose somewhere deep down inside I fear a day when I will no longer be able to find a copy of the game, but mostly I see how much play and wear-and-tear my current copy is getting and want to have a backup. I'm also thinking about sleeving it all - even the aliens. I admit I have a problem - that is the first step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve every game I own... but then that is because most of my game days involve food/drink/beer and honestly I hate having to be gentle while shuffling. Good quality sleeves from FFG shuffle so nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I sleeved all the cards about 18 months ago, and the aliens earlier this year. It was mostly to aid homebrewing, but also to keep from wearing it all out. Good thing, as I've been playing a lot more than ever before!

My box is starting to look like hell, though, from too much transportation to game stores and conventions. I may transfer the game to a nice strong Really Useful Box (TM) after expansion 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of copies of this edition out there. If I wear mine out and the game is out of print, I'll grab a second hand copy as backup. If it goes out of print and the second hand market starts to climb, I can see picking up a spare. After all, the 2020 edition (from a fifth company, no doubt) could stink.

Mmmm... fifth edition... electronic paper... animated alien art... blue-toothed synched components so that cards and powers flash when playable and indicate when not... tiny superconducting levitating ships... holographic projectors that put "costumes" on your opponents so they look like the aliens they're playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I went through three copies of the Mayfair Cosmic. I'm careful with my games too, but they just got the hell beat out of them.

We played A TON! googoo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
I think I sleeved all the cards about 18 months ago, and the aliens earlier this year. It was mostly to aid homebrewing, but also to keep from wearing it all out. Good thing, as I've been playing a lot more than ever before!

My box is starting to look like hell, though, from too much transportation to game stores and conventions. I may transfer the game to a nice strong Really Useful Box (TM) after expansion 3.

Yeah especially because there will hardly be any room once expansion three comes out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I've added homebrew stuff (including an 8th player color already), my box is already as full as it's ever going to get.

And I'm already working on another homebrew card deck to add to it... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
DrBrewhaha wrote:
I admit I have a problem - that is the first step.

Problem? The only problem I see is you've not finished sleeving them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I debated for a time about sleeving, but now I wonder why I waited so long to do it. Once you have everything in sleeves there is really no limit to the ways you can tinker with your set. Wanna try out a new artifact? Just print it up, slip it in front of whichever Filch flare you don't use, and you're off to the races.

If you don't mind cracking into your backup copies, even more fun awaits. I have limited my second set to the green and yellow aliens that don't have any errata, icon, or wording issues. This is a teaching set I call "Cosmic Recon". All the stuff I pulled out got sleeved for hosting homebrew material in my master set. So I basically have an unsleeved 40-alien Recon set for introducing newbies and a sleeved 140-alien master set that includes 50 Eon, Mayfair, and homebrew powers.

My next project will be using my extra Invasion! and special destiny cards to design a little 6- or 9-card Comet-like variant. (Yes, I realize that comets are hazards now; but there is still some untapped design potential to explore here.)

Sleeves are a bit of work, but very liberating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What sleeves do you recommend for the aliens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Custom-made in Thailand:

http://bit.ly/oIdsOw

They *are* tight, especially on the expansion aliens. I shaved a tiny amount off the sides of a few so they'd fit.

If anyone has found other sources, holler!

EDIT: Changed to bit.ly URL since the eBay one gets gorfed up here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you repost the url?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrected the URL in the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Since I've added homebrew stuff (including an 8th player color already), my box is already as full as it's ever going to get.

Your metallic gold saucers look really nice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Brewer
United States
Monticello
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travellerne wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:

Your metallic gold saucers look really nice!

Pics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.