Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if i'm reading the rules right...at no time can either of the dice (if you happen to plan on using two die in the curve) exceed the "corner" limitation...

example: you are 2 squares away from a "3 curve" and roll a red 3, and white 3 and 6...you can move 3 with the red (ending 1 space "into" the turn), then 3 more spaces using the white 3 (leaving the turn) and then poss the 6 (if legal)...

BUT, if you'd rolled a red 2, white 2 and white 6...you could move "to the turn" using either 2, then "into the turn" using the other 2...but now would have to flip the 6 to a 1 and move to the exit space of the turn...you could NOT use the 6, even if you were willing to absorb a red flag...correct?

thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use whatever die faces you want...BUT as soon as you break a rule, your car stops where it is (e.g. in the last space of a 3-speed turn) and you take a yellow or red flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
You can use whatever die faces you want...BUT as soon as you break a rule, your car stops where it is (e.g. in the last space of a 3-speed turn) and you take a yellow or red flag.

so, if i'm stopped right in front of a 2 speed curve with 4 spaces...and i have die of 3-3-3/1 (red), i can move the 1 red, but then i stop and take the penalty without moving at all (since either 3 puts me over the 2 limit), or do i move one of the 3's and then stop (and where do i stop, on space 1 or after moving 3?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
If you really took the chance and rolled all three dice right in front of a four spaces long two-curve, you could take one of the two '3'-dices first: you would move two spaces for the first two pips without any penalty, then stop in the first illegal space, which would be the third pip of the first die.

That's not correct. The moment you use a 3-die in a 2 curve, you are penalized.

You can't use the first two pips.

Otherwise there would be no problem moving through a 2 space long 2-curve, as you would then even be able to use the first two pips on a 6-die, and that's clearly wrong.

You cannot at any point use a die that is higher than the gear-rating in a curve. The moment you do that, you get penalized, you stop in the offending space, count the remaining pips, including the one you just used, and apply the correct flag and results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
if i'm reading the rules right...at no time can either of the dice (if you happen to plan on using two die in the curve) exceed the "corner" limitation...

Correct

John_VW wrote:
example: you are 2 squares away from a "3 curve" and roll a red 3, and white 3 and 6...you can move 3 with the red (ending 1 space "into" the turn), then 3 more spaces using the white 3 (leaving the turn) and then poss the 6 (if legal)...

Correct

John_VW wrote:
BUT, if you'd rolled a red 2, white 2 and white 6...you could move "to the turn" using either 2, then "into the turn" using the other 2...but now would have to flip the 6 to a 1 and move to the exit space of the turn...you could NOT use the 6, even if you were willing to absorb a red flag...correct?

You could use the 6, but the effect would be that you moved the same number of spaces as if you had used a 1, and you would get a red error, which would move you off the track, next turn you would move onto the track (after everybody without flags have moved), and on the third turn you would move after everybody with flags had moved.

So the most sensible solution would be to turn the 6 to a 1, and just stop in the last space of the curve.

thanks...[/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
so, if i'm stopped right in front of a 2 speed curve with 4 spaces...and i have die of 3-3-3/1 (red), i can move the 1 red, but then i stop and take the penalty without moving at all (since either 3 puts me over the 2 limit), or do i move one of the 3's and then stop (and where do i stop, on space 1 or after moving 3?)

You would move the first of the 3 before recieving the error.

So you stop after 2 spaces.

You move the 1 (red - legal), then use the first pip of the 3 (white - illegal), stop in the second space of the curve, and recieve a red flag, since you had 3 (second white die) + 2 (unused pip white die) +1 (pip white die used to make the error) = error 6, that would then move you off the track on the outside curve. Next turn you move onto the track, and third turn you move last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
John_VW wrote:

You would move the first of the 3 before recieving the error.

So you stop after 2 spaces.

You move the 1 (red - legal), then use the first pip of the 3 (white - illegal), stop in the second space of the curve, and recieve a red flag, since you had 3 (second white die) + 2 (unused pip white die) +1 (pip white die used to make the error) = error 6, that would then move you off the track on the outside curve. Next turn you move onto the track, and third turn you move last.
but, lars...i'd thought as soon as i even attempted to use a die (not a pip) higher than the curve is rated for i have to stop immediately (and take the penalty)? so after moving the "red 1" i could move no further (could not use any pips of either 3 die since i'm in a 2 curve) and would take a red flag...am i reading this wrong? (and obv nobody would probably roll 3 die anyhow entering a 2 curve; i'm just trying to "get this straight" before our 2nd night of racing coming up)...thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lars is correct (and I'm getting too old).

However, the rules state on page 4: "A driving error always occur in the first roll area when the player rolls a number which is too high." Which would be on the first space of the illegal area (the danger zone indicated by red/white stripes).

So the accident wouldn't happend on the legal "1" die, but on the first space used by the next (illegal) die.

And even though no 'zane' person would roll all 3 dice in such a danger zone, Lars is getting away with it all too often! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Lars is correct (and I'm getting too old).

However, the rules state on page 4: "A driving error always occur in the first roll area when the player rolls a number which is too high." Which would be on the first space of the illegal area (the danger zone indicated by red/white stripes).

So the accident wouldn't happend on the legal "1" die, but on the first space used by the next (illegal) die.

And even though no 'zane' person would roll all 3 dice in such a danger zone, Lars is getting away with it all too often! angry

But so far we have never raced on a track with a 4-space gear-2 curve, since that would be madness.

My reason for rolling multriple dice is mathematical.

The more dice, the bigger the chance of getting what you need.

The problem is that, if you don't get what you need, then error is always worse that whenn you roll less dice.

Examples (all % rounded to whole numbers):
2-space gear-2 curve: You need 1x2 or 2x1.
Rolling 1 die): Success 67%, failure 33% (only 1 space through)
Rolling 2 dice: Success 89%, failure 11% (only 1 space through plus yellow flag)
Rolling 3 dice: Success 96%, failure 4% (only 1 space through plus red flag)

3-space gear-2 curve: You need 2x2, 3x1 or 1x2+1x1.
Rolling 1 die: Success 0%, failure 33% (only 1 space through), 67% (only 2 spaces through)
Rolling 2 dice: Success 56%, failure 22% (only 2 spaces through), 22% (only 2 spaces through plus yellow flag), 11% (only 1 space through plus yellow flag)
Rolling 3 dice: Success 81%, failure 7% (only 2 spaces plus yellow flag), 7% (only 2 spaces plus red flag), 4% (only 1 space plus red flag)

I'm sure I could prove that going through a 4-space gear-2 curve would also benefit from rolling more dice, but I'm convinced that the damage would increase to much to be worth the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.