Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Twin Cities Board Game Designer Meetup Wanted rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We are a couple of game designers in Minnesota who are interested in getting together with other designers to play, critique, and perhaps collaborate on each other's games. We want to keep the group small initially, but we will plan some sort of initial get-together (looking at sat 9/24 or sun 9/25, depending on everyone's availability) to meet and assess compatibility. Depending on the turnout and interest, we will talk about and decide on a format for future meetings.

We will probably try meet once a month to start. Each meeting we'll give equal playtime and/or discussion time for each person's game designs (hence keeping the group small), so you will be expected to bring a prototype to each meeting. You should also have (and be able to articulate) constructive feedback. A thick skin will probably also be required. (For the feedback everyone else gives. This is of course true for any group like this, but I want to make it clear that we are going to critique, and that involves everyone throwing around opinions. You are of course free to take 'em or leave 'em, but you shouldn't take them personally.)

For those of you I haven't scared off with this post, please send me a geek mail with the following, and I'll try to assess which day is better for everyone:
- Which day works better for you, Saturday (9/24) or Sunday (9/25)
- Where (generally) in the twin cities metro are you located?

Look forward to meeting you! Thanks!

UPDATE: We are definitely meeting Saturday, September 24th, around 10 AM. Send me a geekmail if you want to know where. (We still haven't decided 100%, but it'll probably be a coffee shop or some other public place somewhere in St. Paul.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds really interesting. I'm not a game designer, but if you ever have larger playtest sessions for the general public please do let us lowly players know
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to post to a boardgame meet-up too. Most gamers even designers do not visit the geek frequently.

Philip
www.bogadap.com
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be interesting to try. Though unfortunately I lack transportation to participate in much of anything in the GR area let alone the Kentwood region. bleah.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pmigas wrote:
Try to post to a boardgame meet-up too. Most gamers even designers do not visit the geek frequently.


Where do you suggest, Philip? Do you mean the meetup.com one?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Might be interesting to try. Though unfortunately I lack transportation to participate in much of anything in the GR area let alone the Kentwood region. bleah.


Hey John, I'll clarify my post, but I'm talking about the Minneapolis/Saint Paul Twin Cities! Sorry if I got your hopes up!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grid wrote:
pmigas wrote:
Try to post to a boardgame meet-up too. Most gamers even designers do not visit the geek frequently.


Where do you suggest, Philip? Do you mean the meetup.com one?


There are two (I think) main ones here in town:

Twin Cities Eurogames

The Twin Cities Board Games Group
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
justplainchips wrote:
There are two (I think) main ones here in town


I don't know if it's just me, but all email from meetup.com just feels like spam to me. I am signed up for one of those groups (the one you don't have to pay just to lurk on), but I can't figure out for the life of me how to send an email to folks over there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grid wrote:
justplainchips wrote:
There are two (I think) main ones here in town


I don't know if it's just me, but all email from meetup.com just feels like spam to me. I am signed up for one of those groups (the one you don't have to pay just to lurk on), but I can't figure out for the life of me how to send an email to folks over there.


I haven't sent anything out before, but there are two ways that jump out:
Under the "Discussions" menu there are the choices "Message Boards" and "Mailing List".

You could either start a discussion thread (which I don't think is used very much) or there is a link to the email address of the entire mailing list.

Or you could just propose a meetup and see if people come.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
heh, Yeah, Only just noticed that. Though used to live in MN and attended the various Twin City cons regularly, particularly TwinCon amd NovaCon way back.

grid wrote:
Omega2064 wrote:
Might be interesting to try. Though unfortunately I lack transportation to participate in much of anything in the GR area let alone the Kentwood region. bleah.


Hey John, I'll clarify my post, but I'm talking about the Minneapolis/Saint Paul Twin Cities! Sorry if I got your hopes up!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get regular meetings, you may also want to contact the meetup organizer to get on their calender. On the left of the meetup page it lists of the organizers. Click on the name and it brings up their profile. There is a button on top that says "Send an Email".

I organized a design group about 2 years ago. It is tons of fun. I have made lots of friends. The most stressful part was setting up the first meeting. Now we regularly have 10-12 people a month, and over 30 different unique playtesters. If you need any help or have questions, please send me Geekmail. I will try to help.

Best recommendation: get a digital audio recorder for $20. It makes reviews easier.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pmigas wrote:


Hey Phillip, I just got a chance to check out this site! There's some really great stuff on there. I like your list of "tiers" of the development process. That's pretty handy. I will definitely send you a geek mail if/when we run into questions, thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.