Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there are some minds out there who can come up with solo variants for Earth Reborn. The game has so many possibilities. Surely solo play has to be one of them.

Anyone?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
I'm sure there are some minds out there who can come up with solo variants for Earth Reborn. The game has so many possibilities. Surely solo play has to be one of them.

Anyone?...

It depends a lot on what kind of solo play you mean
I can think of a few types; 1. you have a programmed structure that controls one side while you play against it. I don't think anyone has come up with this yet and I think it would also be quite a lot of work to do it (but not more impossible than solving chess )
2. You only play your own side, but set some goals, like accomplishing certain tasks within a time frame and defeating more or less stationary enemies (very doable, but really a completely other game using the existing ruleset and components.
3. (The one I use) You play both sides to a scenario, being very honest with yourself; "If I were to make a decision without this particular prior knowledge, what would I decide, and how would I as the opponent react to that decision" etc. Duelling is very tricky and it has been expertly suggested by others to replace the duel with a flat rate of a 4 or 5 CP cost to interrupt.
I think you can play ER solo this way, but it's a really hard game to solo.

Btw. my guess is that the solo variant you are looking for falls under the first category. Some mind may come up with an AI for ER, but I'm pretty sure it won't be mine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Riviello
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't see how this can be done. Even if you crafted an incredible AI system there's still so many possible actions a player can take, so many variable strategies that that can change on the fly in response to the other player. It's not a Ravenloft where the enemies will just attack every turn, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't say it will be easy, but Christophe (the author) was able to create a solid solo version for Dungeon Twister: Prison, with many possible actions for your foes.

I won't be the creator of an AI system for Earth Reborn, but I'm sure it's doable (with limits of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cycyx wrote:
I won't say it will be easy, but Christophe (the author) was able to create a solid solo version for Dungeon Twister: Prison, with many possible actions for your foes.

I won't be the creator of an AI system for Earth Reborn, but I'm sure it's doable (with limits of course).

I too believe in Christophe's ability to make it happen. I can imagine all sorts of good stuff for solo play: player vs. AI, player vs. dungeon(ish) scenario, player vs. puzzle/maze, etc.

But I'm not the mind to actually come up with any of these.

I hope the game is making enough headway on the shelves to merit more effort from Christophe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.