Subject: Ways to speed up game play (finish in ~1 hr with 5 players)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really want to get this game because I've been wanting to get a 5-player worker placement game to round out my collection, but I'm scared of the 90-120 minute play time that I've heard for 5-player games, especially because I know that a lot of people I play with struggle with AP.

Are there any minor variants or tips on how to play faster, so that you could finish a 5-player game in about 60-75 minutes? Or would I just have to accept that a 5-player game will take at least 90 minutes no matter what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 5P, and thought the pace was fine. There is a "real-time" variant in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've never played with other than 5 players and the game has only gone much over 90 minutes once, and that was the first time we played. Once everybody gets the hang of the game there's no real reason for variants to speed it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the fast ones to stay later for a game of Carson City... you're limiting your group quite a bit trying to keep game times under an hour with 5P. There aren't many games that carry a depth I find enjoyable within that range. What kinds of games do you guys generally play?

Some games have scaling times that say such things as 20 minutes/player, I wish more publishers/designers did that.

*I see you own and rated Powergrid. How long does it take you to get through that with 5? I'd say Carson City has about the same play time... CC may even be shorter on average...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blakstar wrote:
Get the fast ones to stay later for a game of Carson City... you're limiting your group quite a bit trying to keep game times under an hour with 5P. There aren't many games that carry a depth I find enjoyable within that range. What kinds of games do you guys generally play?

Some games have scaling times that say such things as 20 minutes/player, I wish more publishers/designers did that.

*I see you own and rated Powergrid. How long does it take you to get through that with 5? I'd say Carson City has about the same play time... CC may even be shorter on average...

Thanks for the input. Power Grid does seem to take a quite a while to finish, which is why I haven't been able to play it too much.

My main issue is that I don't have a lot of gatherings solely for playing games - most of my game playing opportunities come up as a result of some other type of get-together, and often I feel that people don't want to be tied up playing just one single game the entire time. I know that I'm missing out on a lot of great games because of this, but there is no use buying a game if I don't actually get the chance to ever play it.

That said, I think I may still end up getting Carson City eventually, and I might have to just remind everyone to play fast and not think too hard. Enjoy the experience rather than worry about playing 100% optimally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
okkay wrote:
blakstar wrote:

Thanks for the input. Power Grid does seem to take a quite a while to finish, which is why I haven't been able to play it too much.

My main issue is that I don't have a lot of gatherings solely for playing games - most of my game playing opportunities come up as a result of some other type of get-together, and often I feel that people don't want to be tied up playing just one single game the entire time. I know that I'm missing out on a lot of great games because of this, but there is no use buying a game if I don't actually get the chance to ever play it.

That said, I think I may still end up getting Carson City eventually, and I might have to just remind everyone to play fast and not think too hard. Enjoy the experience rather than worry about playing 100% optimally.

Pressuring your friends into playing games as it is huh?

As hard and awkward as it may seem, try your best and setup a day to game. Get a few people to commit, bribe them with food, beer... whatever it takes. haha. Explain to them you just want to have a relaxed evening where you and your friends can play some games and chat. It's really hard to get people to devote any reasonable amount of attention to the game with a lot going on, even if that going on is odd, or undevoted scheduling. They'll probably get better impressions of the games and then you won't have to feel like you're forcing them to play.

Just some thoughts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiming in late.

This is one of my favorite games and I hope this helps get it to the table more often.

I just pulled this one back out after a year of 0 playes.

I love the game and also found long play time due to AP to be a problem.
I got the idea to get each member of my group to play 2 player games untill we are all more familiar with the buildings and the games timing, I find games get much faster as we play them more.

We are at half the game time we started with in games we play all the time like Carcassonne, Dominion and 7 wonders, its amazing how much faster we play those games now compared to when we started, and I think this is the case with all games.

The new game and games that we rarely bring to the table go very so every time pull them out, and we are trying to play games more often and make it a point to slow down when learning them and talk through each players turns so we all learn the game right, this makes game play faster and much more fun because everyone has a more equal chance of doing well.

I hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.