StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple questions.

In section 8.2.4 each side may deploy a leader without the use of a card prior to battle to mitigate a loyalty check of that clan.

How many leaders can be fielded in this manner?

Do the leaders deployed score a point of impact?

Do units of the same mon also gain an additional point of impact for being of the same clan (8.3.3)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Calkins
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
A couple questions.

In section 8.2.4 each side may deploy a leader without the use of a card prior to battle to mitigate a loyalty check of that clan.

How many leaders can be fielded in this manner?

Do the leaders deployed score a point of impact?

Do units of the same mon also gain an additional point of impact for being of the same clan (8.3.3)?

Any number of leaders deploy free, up until the first deployment for which you use a card.

They all score impact, yes.

Also, all further blocks of that daimyo get an impact bonus from their leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
My answers are.

As many as you want.

Yes.

Yes, when they are subsequently deployed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Donovan
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

Not sure if you're aware, but playing a leader without a card does not mitigate ALL loyalty checks against that clan; only the leader being deployed is immune from a Loyalty Challenge. Blocks of the same clan deployed subsequently ARE subject to Loyalty Challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerosum wrote:
StevenE wrote:

Not sure if you're aware, but playing a leader without a card does not mitigate ALL loyalty checks against that clan; only the leader being deployed is immune from a Loyalty Challenge. Blocks of the same clan deployed subsequently ARE subject to Loyalty Challenge.

Wow... I went back and re-read that... Thanks for pointing this out.

This is pivotal in that the only thing one gains from deploying a leader then is a "cardless" point of impact at the risk of having to claim the leader as a casualty at the end of the battle. Pretty risky.

I was playing that all matching mon were immune to loyalty checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Zerosum wrote:
StevenE wrote:

Wow... I went back and re-read that... Thanks for pointing this out.

This is pivotal in that the only thing one gains from deploying a leader then is a "cardless" point of impact at the risk of having to claim the leader as a casualty at the end of the battle. Pretty risky.

I was playing that all matching mon were immune to loyalty checks.

Not quite. He also confers the +1 daimyo bonus to EACH subsequent block deployed that's from his daimyo.

He takes the risk of leading from the front, but he inspires his men to even greater heroism. Works for me.

[Edit: and after rereading your post, he is also immune from loyalty checks. So he's not exactly helpless.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that 1 point of Impact can be decisive at times

As a hint, don't forget also, that extra lost block for losing a Battle. I've breathed so many sighs of relief at seeing all my unit blocks lost in a Battle due to Impact, only to remember with shock, that my lone surviving Daimyo block must then also die for being the loser!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
PS: Kinda sad um, poignant no, frustrating - yes! - that Ishida inspires no one with extra Impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Bohacik
Slovakia
Luzianky
flag msg tools
mb
I'm still little bit confused about deploying leaders prior blocks with cards.

Example:
-as attacker I deploy leader block (without card)
-now defender deploy his block (with card)
-and now the question:
A: could I now deploy second leader block without card again, as I didn't played any cards yet?
B: does opponents deployment with card count as well and in this case I couldn't deploy any more leaders without card?

Which one is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Calkins
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
syon wrote:
I'm still little bit confused about deploying leaders prior blocks with cards.

Example:
-as attacker I deploy leader block (without card)
-now defender deploy his block (with card)
-and now the question:
A: could I now deploy second leader block without card again, as I didn't played any cards yet?
B: does opponents deployment with card count as well and in this case I couldn't deploy any more leaders without card?

Which one is correct?

You can keep deploying leaders for free until you deploy a block using a card. Whether your opponent deploys with a card has no effect on your ability to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Bohacik
Slovakia
Luzianky
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you Matt for the quick answer. Everything is now clear.
After today's play I can only say: waw! what a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always nice to see a designer supporting their product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.