Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game has a lot of potential with other nationalities being added and different units and theaters. German paratroops and SS, Rangers and Commandos. Tanks and lots of other things. When I read that among its influences were Sgt. Rock and the Haunted Tank (which I loved to read as a kid) I thought wow! The thing I am most looking forward to is a campaign system that would allow me to keep the same unit going through multiple battles with each soldier that survived writing his own story with soldiers getting promoted and awarded medals. Well I've rambled enough. Just some thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree and for LMG this could provide a steady revenue stream.

The rules could do with a small amount of tweaking and apart from the already mentioned plan for updates to support weapon usage they are so nearly there.

IMHO DOD only gives a flavour and as a standalone game it is expensive as a building block for further expansions and hours of challenge and fun its great.

I have already purchased extra units some have arrived and some are still on the way I have no idea if they have been despatched or not and again once they have there prodution system running on all cylinders and have recovererd from Irene , she probably cost them a week or so, things should go from strength to strength for them.

If this were a school report I would say B+ for Quality A+ for effort B- for timescales , overall could do better and end of year grade expected A+.

On the product front I have doubts about Tanks unless Tile sets similar to DOD / Friare Bridge are available at a cost effective option and you have a large table space.

I do feel a 60 * 40 or 70 x 40 (we generally play games on 6' x 4' ) would be a good standard play area for multiplayer games. I dont place the soldier tiles around the longer borders as its easier table wise not to for, DoD as I use a 4' x 2' board and perspex sheetfor it.

I think the La Friare Bridge, Support Weapons, Campaign system which are all planned for the next few months will make a massive difference.

With the already announced extra units and maybe extra cards for existing units or action only card decks for balance and varity I would be prepared to spend regularly small amounts. This is a change to my game purchase habits, which tend to be 5-6 games a year for Board games and SMG have already taken almost a years budget.

My minis are alreay in place and at the club we swap armies for variety , loan them really. I do see SMG as a way to moving from Ancients to Modern without the time and investment required for Flames of War. For a Boardgame its expensive for minis its pretty good considering they are painted , although we do have some talented artists at the club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While i don't want to spill too many of the "beans" (sorry if that idiom isn't seen in UK, Jerry-- maybe we got it from you, for all I know), but there are some things in the pipeline/planning stages that will make Tom (and others, we hope) very happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I can be mde happy as well, ship my leader and 30 cal team, tweak the rulebook and have La Friere bridge available to order.

Spill the beans , let the cat out of the bag both used over here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great that there's a framework for expansion here, and that SMG as a game concept encompasses ideas for continued growth. At the moment it's evident to me (please don't ask for details) that the supply side plans are still lagging in delivering on the initial product(s) that are to be available now.

Additionally, as the base offering, there should be a foremost effort to ensure that the soldiers included in the Day of Days sets offer a competitive game experience unto themselves as a stand-alone product. At $99.95 per DoD game, the decision to purchase add-on soldier sets should be voluntary, and not something that owners feel needed to achieve a competitive/balanced gaming experience. Nor should buyers feel required to tweak their initial game sets through post-purchase means, such as through "swap-outs".

Many of these occurrences have probably resulted from start-up issues, and because there has been more initial demand for SMG than perhaps anticipated. No doubt LBG realizes that maintaining for this demand is equally as important as forecasting about new things to come, but please don't stop the "tease" about what's planned for the future either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:

On the product front I have doubts about Tanks unless Tile sets similar to DOD / Friare Bridge are available at a cost effective option and you have a large table space.

I agree about the tanks. I do not want a crowded board like some other games (40k?) But, I was thinking more one tank on one side with the other side trying to knock it out, maybe with supporting infantry thrown in for the tank. I definately like the skirmish game scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoamas wrote:
Starman54 wrote:

I agree about the tanks. I do not want a crowded board like some other games (40k?) But, I was thinking more one tank on one side with the other side trying to knock it out, maybe with supporting infantry thrown in for the tank. I definately like the skirmish game scale.

Like the Combat commander tank then , yep this could work,Tank , bunker , AA gun nest , lots of those to crack around in D-Day.

Oh and the British and Pegasus Bridge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We will set the release schedule for the expansions through December on October 3, when we have Day of Days in general release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a expansion with British Tommies, Highlanders, Canadians involved down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We acquired the FAA miniatures line so we could provide all you are asking for and more. We have over a thousands sculptures in the line right now and we are adding to it.

I will post the 2011 summer catalog for FAA in the documents section. It will give you something to cheer for so we can release what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I refuse to ever play SMG again unless the next expansion includes Mongolian forces on the Eastern Front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Myers
United States
Warwick
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my DOD game and the figures are great, love the paint jobs on the figures. I am really impressed by the components. I will try to get in my first game tonight. The only complaint I could make is too many duplicate minatures in a starter box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kerstan
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Einroy wrote:
I refuse to ever play SMG again unless the next expansion includes Mongolian forces on the Eastern Front.

LOL!!

no...no...the Russian Tank-hunting Mine Dog 'Vlassov' in the upcoming Stalingrad Sausage Factory expansion. Just add German "Potato Mashers" and game is a complete meal as well

Seriously though, I'd prefer LBJ to get Day of Days out there for the 'critical mass' of product rather than rush out expansions. I imagine its always a balancing act of supply vs demand but I always prefer to wait a little longer and get a quality product.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.