Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » General

Subject: UGLY TITLE GRAPHIC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
christopher lim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else appalled by the design? It looks like a Microsoft Word creation.Can't they make it more grand along the lines of the Twillight Imperium logo?

Right now it makes me think that Rex is a game about a junkyard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brooks Child
United States
Arlington
VA
flag msg tools
mb
clyx wrote:
Anyone else appalled by the design? It looks like a Microsoft Word creation.Can't they make it more grand along the lines of the Twillight Imperium logo?

Right now it makes me think that Rex is a game about a junkyard

Link...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean D.
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I would go so far as to say that it's ugly, but I didn't recognize it as a game in the TI setting immediately. The question comes to mind if one can judge a game by its cover?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of like it. Perhaps a little too brightly lit with the yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher lim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys just to clarify I am only talking about the title logo REX, not about the entire box cover.My point is that I feel the REX logo doesnt do the images on the cover any justice. To follow the lines of one who comented above, the REX logo doesnt make me feel that this game is in the Twilliight Imperium setting. The only way we know it is is because of the other images on the front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a world where Comic Sans and Papyrus fonts still show up in game text, this is small potatoes. I don't mind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clyx wrote:
Guys just to clarify I am only talking about the title logo REX, not about the entire box cover.My point is that I feel the REX logo doesnt do the images on the cover any justice. To follow the lines of one who comented above, the REX logo doesnt make me feel that this game is in the Twilliight Imperium setting. The only way we know it is is because of the other images on the front.

Ah, I misunderstood. I suppose I agree that the title isn't really that appealing, but it could be worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Look
United States
Coventry
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I whole heatedly agree. I feel utterly BETRAYED by this move on FFGs part. Ever since I first got serious about hobby gaming 7 years ago, DUNE was one the games I just *had* to play. I tried it out, loved it, and knew I had to have it. FFG announced they had the right to game engine, but not the theme. I was okay with it being in the TI setting, but the years of silence after their announcement was excruciating! Oh how I wanted this game! When they made the release of the game official, I was overwhelmed. I was pleased to see how they found good fits for the translation between the Dune houses and the races of TI. How I salivated over those incredible miniature space ships. But then...I saw it. The TEXT. That hideous, horrible text. I didn't just feel this was the biggest disappointment of my gaming career, this may be the biggest disappointment of my entire life. So now this game is right around the corner, yet I refuse to own it just because of that abominable text. If I didn't have an entire bookshelf filled with games with bored looking dudes in renascence-era clothing on the sides, I'd give up on gaming all together.

For shame, FFG, for shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
browncoat2814 wrote:
I whole heatedly agree. I feel utterly BETRAYED by this move on FFGs part. Ever since I first got serious about hobby gaming 7 years ago, DUNE was one the games I just *had* to play. I tried it out, loved it, and knew I had to have it. FFG announced they had the right to game engine, but not the theme. I was okay with it being in the TI setting, but the years of silence after their announcement was excruciating! Oh how I wanted this game! When they made the release of the game official, I was overwhelmed. I was pleased to see how they found good fits for the translation between the Dune houses and the races of TI. How I salivated over those incredible miniature space ships. But then...I saw it. The TEXT. That hideous, horrible text. I didn't just feel this was the biggest disappointment of my gaming career, this may be the biggest disappointment of my entire life. So now this game is right around the corner, yet I refuse to own it just because of that abominable text. If I didn't have an entire bookshelf filled with games with bored looking dudes in renascence-era clothing on the sides, I'd give up on gaming all together.

ADVANCED TROLLING MANEUVER thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Look
United States
Coventry
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
browncoat2814 wrote:

There's nothing troll-like about making it abundantly clear that I think concerning yourself about the font on the box is completely and utterly ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen a box look half as good. The font looks fine to me, and even if it looked like poo squished into resembling letters, I would not feel compelled to complain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I'm concerned this is a total

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Baranovsky
Russia
Novosibirsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like the box graphic in general. It looks better than TI 3rd edition box for me because of being more "solid". On the other hand, the title could have more contrast with background. The font idea looks interesting but incomplete, just like it was made in haste. Anyway, i think the title is much more interesting if compared with title on latest TI box.

That blue-skin "vampire" guy with stakes is really ugly gulp, not the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Barrett
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than it seeming like the humans are led by Jonathan Frakes, I quite like the cover and don't mind the lettering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
browncoat2814 wrote:
bhz1 wrote:

There's nothing troll-like about making it abundantly clear that I think concerning yourself about the font on the box is completely and utterly ridiculous.

Hence the thumbs-up signifying approval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Look
United States
Coventry
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
browncoat2814 wrote:
bhz1 wrote:

Hence the thumbs-up signifying approval

I know, but this is the internet, I figured I should clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
browncoat2814 wrote:
bhz1 wrote:
browncoat2814 wrote:

I lol'ed.

Anyway, this is becoming somewhat of a discerning trend. People popping up to bash Fantasy Flight Games stuff for the smallest thing (*cough*Skeletor*cough*). It's like they have a grudge because it went from a company of 8 employees to being the company that Games Workshop partnered with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
emceekhan wrote:
People popping up to bash Fantasy Flight Games stuff for the smallest thing (*cough*Skeletor*cough*).

I can't really speak for Frank (he's certainly capable of doing that himself), but he does seem to like FFG overall, at least their games; when he bashes, he does so for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehulsebus wrote:
In a world where Comic Sans and Papyrus fonts still show up in game text...

I'm hearing that in my head as that Movie Trailer Guy.

...only one man can stop them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
emceekhan wrote:

Anyway, this is becoming somewhat of a discerning trend. People popping up to bash Fantasy Flight Games stuff for the smallest thing (*cough*Skeletor*cough*). It's like they have a grudge because it went from a company of 8 employees to being the company that Games Workshop partnered with.

Wha?
I think you have me mixed up with Michael Barnes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone needs to go find a girlfriend. Really?!! the f'ing txt?

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
emceekhan wrote:

Wha?
I think you have me mixed up with Michael Barnes.

I may have. There are times when you and I have butted heads over the stupidest of things, though. Perhaps my memory of what games those are is a little hazy. So I apologize. I forget what caused me to think of you in the first place (maybe it's from a Descent discussion I dunno).

But the reality is that the nitpicking is starting to annoy me. And it's not just about FFG - there are people picking on all sorts of companies that went from independent to mainstream lately, and it feels like it's mostly because those companies are not tiny mom-and-pop game companies anymore. As if the hobby can stay incredibly cheap in this economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
emceekhan wrote:

I may have. There are times when you and I have butted heads over the stupidest of things, though. Perhaps my memory of what games those are is a little hazy. So I apologize. I forget what caused me to think of you in the first place (maybe it's from a Descent discussion I dunno).

But the reality is that the nitpicking is starting to annoy me. And it's not just about FFG - there are people picking on all sorts of companies that went from independent to mainstream lately, and it feels like it's mostly because those companies are not tiny mom-and-pop game companies anymore. As if the hobby can stay incredibly cheap in this economy.

I do pick on some GAMES (some of the choices made in the 2nd editions of Descent and Game of Thrones sound pretty pokey, the rumored 3rd edition for Runebound can blow me) but certainly far from all of them (If anything I'm more in the fanboy camp.)

As far as talking about the company themselves on an industry level that sure as heck aint me. One of the reasons I hardly post at FAT anymore and came back here was because every conversation/review ended up becoming some lame ass entertainment weekly style 'industry critique' which bores me to tears. I worry about games I am interested in playing, beyond that I couldn't give a duck's nuts what boardgame companies decide to do, nor how nerd nation thinks they should be run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:

As far as talking about the company themselves on an industry level that sure as heck aint me. One of the reasons I hardly post at FAT anymore and came back here was because every conversation/review ended up becoming some lame ass entertainment weekly style 'industry critique' which bores me to tears. I worry about games I am interested in playing, beyond that I couldn't give a duck's nuts what boardgame companies decide to do, nor how nerd nation thinks they should be run.

Y'know, at one point you were on the editorial staff and had the power to shape the direction of conversation. Even before this allegedly became an issue. But you never did. At some point, you just clapped your hands and said, "ENTERTAIN ME~!"

Sorry to disappoint you, I suppose.

As for FFG, you won't find a bias here. Seemingly half the stuff in my gaming closet is made by them. Every other game on my Christmas wishlist (including Rex) is on the list.

I'm actually looking forward to Descent 2nd edition rather than hate it out of hand because, y'know, 1st edition actually has enough stuff so I don't spend my time whining about 1st edition being done, even though there aren't even enough details out there to hate 2nd edition yet anyway.

So yeah...Rex. Item #1 on my Christmas wishlist. Despite the "ugly" font? You betcha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
franklincobb wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Y'know, at one point you were on the editorial staff and had the power to shape the direction of conversation. Even before this allegedly became an issue. But you never did. At some point, you just clapped your hands and said, "ENTERTAIN ME~!"

Sorry to disappoint you, I suppose.

I was answering the dudes accusation with some supporting evidence. What this has to do with you I am unsure, but if it's an issue I'll be sure to run every post I make on the internet past you first for moderation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.