Popular Tags: [View All]
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everybody

What's the protocol on using images from a game's gallery in reviews and session reports posted here on the geek? Should I seek permission of the uploader/photographer? Just an acknowledgement in the caption? Just use and abuse them with blatant disregard for the source? What do you do?

Thanks for the input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Using them on BGG/RPGG/VGG is fine. The images will automatically link to the original if anyone is curious who contributed the originals.

You should seek permission if using them off-site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:
Hello Everybody

What's the protocol on using images from a game's gallery in reviews and session reports posted here on the geek? Should I seek permission of the uploader/photographer? Just an acknowledgement in the caption? Just use and abuse them with blatant disregard for the source? What do you do?

Thanks for the input.

Any image you include from the database is automatically linked back to its own page anyway (if someone clicks on the photo, it takes them to the upload page for it). So in that sense the uploader retains clear credit no matter what you do. Note also that images are uploaded with the understanding that they can and will be used to enrich other written content on the site.

So, to answer your question, permission is not necessary and a request for it is not expected. A caption with explicit credit is fine but also not expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG Licenses wrote:
All Rights Reserved
Creative Commons (some rights reserved)
Noncommercial
No Derivatives
Share Alike
No Rights Reserved

I believe Matthew's answer is most correct for the default "All Rights Reserved" case, which used to be the only case. If someone picks "No Rights Reserved", they are putting the image into the public domain. In between is the Creative Commons license; you need to read the CC license to see what it allows.

But asking the user is always the polite thing to do, and if the picture is of game art, while a user may waive his rights that doesn't waive the original artist's rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbing the image and giving the image uploader a GG tip is a courteous gesture that says "Thank you!" without bogging everybody down with GeekMail messages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
I am a breathing time machine
badge
We're all in this together, and we love to take a bath!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the fast, detailed, and thoughtful answers. You guys rock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.