Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TAIWAN DEFENSE 2008
US NAVY SHORT CAMPAIGN
DAY 2 of a 3-day campaign

For a complete description of this campaign , squadron selection and starting missions, please review these links :

DAY 1 : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/695395/hornet-leader-short-c...

DAY 2 : http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/696042/hornet-leader-short-c...

DAY 3 PRIMARY : http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7416753

DAY 3 SECONDARY : http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7425448

* US Navy Carrier Operations

DAY 2 PRIMARY

*Primary Target

TARGET : (47) CENTRAL COMMAND (Fixed)
IMPROVEMENT : Move 1 campaign counter to the left at end of day
STAT : HIT=9 , VP=3 , RECON=2 , INTEL=2
AIRCRAFT : 6
SITE (A/C) : 2/2
BANDIT (A/C) : 2/5
CONDITION : RANGE BAND 3 , WEIGHT PENALTY -3 , STRESS 2

*Tactical Display showing Enemies (Bandit enemies spawned at the Target-Bound Phase)

ARMING / WEAPONS LOADOUT :

To counter the expected 13 bandits that can show up (2 bandit on each approach area and 5 bandits center area), i use 4 of my free SO point for 4xAIM120 and 2 free so for 1xAGM84 SLAM. I never use this Land Harpoon missile before so this going to be a combat 1st for me.

As usual, i got the time and the number of planes to hit all Radar controlled AAA/SAM with HARM AGM88, so i load up on HARMs. For backup AtA defense i load up AIM7 on BLACKHAWK, just in case there is more bandit that cant be handled by AMRAMM AIM120 alone. Since i want to save SO for R&R and the last day's mission, i load up maveriks as primary strike weapon. AGM65 Maverick can only inflict 2xHIT maximum but i only need 9 HITS on target so this still going to be an overkill..

Weight Point penalty for target 47's Range Band #3 is -3 WP. so i took the Aerial Refueling Option (1 SO per plane in strike group) totaling 7 Planes (6 Hornets and 1 Hawkeye)

My Strike group for this target consists of :

- TIGGER (F/A-18E Average) : 4xAIM120 ,2xAGM88 , 2xAGM65
- SCOUT (F/A-18E Average) : 2xAGM88 , 2xAIM7 , 2xAGM65 1xAGM84
- MUSTANG (F/A-18C Average) : 2xAGM88 , 3xAGM65
- DUKE (F/A-18C Green) : 2xAGM88 , 3xAGM65
- RAIDER (F/A-18C Average) : 2xAGM88 , 3xAGM65
- BLACKHAWK (F/A-18C Green) : 6xAIM7 , 2xAIM9
- BRICKS (E2C Skilled)

Total SO spent for Weapons and Refueling : 7 . My current SO is 19 so im left with 12 for the next day's SO.

*Pilot Selection and Ordnance Loadout

TARGET-BOUND FLIGHT :

At target-bound flight, I draw a 'SHORE LEAVE : Keep this card to re-roll a Dice'.

I placed my strike group to the SOUTH stand-off area because the air defence at southern approach is the lightest. i plan to shoot my mavericks at maximum range and dont want to overfly the target area.

At the Bandit draw i pull 13 Bandit counters and only 5 real bandits showed up. The bandit type and locations are :
- EAST Approach : 1xMIG25
- WEST Approach : 1xMIG21
- NORTH Approach : n/a
- SOUTH Approach : 1xMIG29
- CENTER area : 1xMIG23 , 1xMirage III

As i approach the Stand-off Area i drew event card 'GOOD BRIEFING: Destroy 1 site/bandit'. I choose to destroy a SA-11 site that got range:3 at the WEST approach.

*Tactical Display before TURN#1

OVER-TARGET TURN #1

I use 1xSA from E2C for TIGGER (+1 AtA , +1 AtG) and he shoot all his 4xAIM120 to 4 different bandits.. TIGGER also got another +1 AtA from E2C Hawkeye bonus stat (all aircraft in strike group got the same bonus). I use the AIM120 to hit the farthest bandits first, since i can use AIM7 from BLACKHAWK for closer bandits. Here's the shot sequence and result :

- 1xAIM120 hits 1xMIG25 (Roll of 9+1+1)
- 1xAIM120 hits 1xMIG23 (Roll of 8+1+1)
- 1xAIM120 hits 1xMirage III (Roll of 9+1+1)
- 1xAIM129 hits 1xMIG21 (Roll of 4+1+1)

Then BLACKHAWK uses his 1xSA to shoot 1xAIM7 and hits 1xMIG29 (Roll of 9+1) the last bandits on radar.. now the sky is clear, its time to clear the ground defenses.

- I use 1xSA from E2C to let SCOUT (+2 AtG) shoots1xAGM88 and hits 1xSA-11 site (Roll of 2+2)
- RAIDER (+0 AtG) uses his own 1xSA to shoots 1xAGM88 and hits 1xSA-11 site (Roll of 8)

Thats the end of the ground forces that can threaten my flight at long range. the rest of the defenses are either short ranged or low altitude defense only.

At the SLOW pilot phase, all my pilot shoot in sequence :
- TIGGER (+2 AtG) shoots 1xAGM88 and hits 1xSA-13 (Roll of 9+2)
- SCOUT (+2 AtG) shoots 1xAGM88 and hits 1xSA-2 (Roll of 6+2)
- MUSTANG (+2 AtG) shoots 1xAGM88 and hits 1xSA-2 (Roll of 8+2)
- RAIDER shoots 1xAGM88 and hits 1xSA-6 (Roll of 5)
- DUKE shoots 1xAGM88 and hits 1xKS19 (Roll of 5)

Thats it, only 2 AAA site left and i dont want to spend anymore AtG ordnance to hit them since they can only hit LOW flying planes..

Now my strike group fly northward closer to center area and prepares to launch their mavericks to target at range:2

*Tactical Display before TURN#2

OVER-TARGET TURN #2

I shoot all my AGM65 and AGM84 from SOUTH Pre-Approach Area in sequence :

- TIGGER (+2 AtG) launched 2xAGM65 and got 2 HITs (Roll 9+2) , 2 Hits (Roll 10+2) for total = 4 HITS
- SCOUT (+2 AtG) launched 1xAGM84 and got 2 HITs (Roll 4+2) for total = 2 HITS
- MUSTANG (+2 AtG) launched 3xAGM65 and got a miss (Roll of 3+2), 2 HITs (Roll of 10+2), 2 HiTs (Roll of 10+2) for total = 4 HITS

TOTAL HITS ON TARGET = 10 HITS

THats enough to destroy this target (9 HITS required) so i stop bombing and save my ordnance for another day.

Strike Group fly back to carrier for debriefing and some R&R

*Tactical Display showing final Hits on target

HOME-BOUND EVENT:

At Home-bound Event i drew a 'SAM VEHICLES: 2 Random Attack on Flight' , i spend 2 AtG ordnance to cancel the attack.

* from LEFT to RIGHT : Target-Bound Event, Over Target Event, Home-Bound Event

DEBRIEFING :

- Everyone got 2 XP and 2 Stress for this mission
- I got 3 VP for this mission and 2 Recon , 2 Intel
- I spent 7 SO point for this mission and left with 12 SO for the next day

The Recon and Intel allowed me to pick / select 4 targets at the next day and i have -1 center site defense..

TOTAL VP (Day 1 + Day 2) : 7 (ADEQUATE)

I need 1 more VP to reach GOOD rating or 5 more VP to reach GREAT rating. The easy way is just do the next day mission as safely as possible and reach GOOD rating.. the more exciting way is to get 5 VP and that means a single HARD target or doing 2 missions (primary & secondary) on day 3..

*Killboard comparing target destroyed in this mission with weapon that destroy it

MISSION LOG :

*Mission Log using Dan Verssen's HL-CAO log sheet

LESSON LEARNED / FOOTNOTES :

This time i carry too much AtG ordnance.. barely half of my AtG ordnance is expended in this mission, i should take 1 less airplane in this flight and save SO points for day 3

Thanks all for watching =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and another nice AAR. I'm eagerly waiting for part 3/3!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words teufen =D

part 3 is coming !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Severs
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
are u aware u useda AGM-88 against a non radar site? just sayin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Foolish_Dog wrote:
are u aware u useda AGM-88 against a non radar site? just sayin

wow you caught me !! yes it seems i mistakenly destroy AAA site using a HARM .. i recheck the bomb damage assesment and yes i am doing it wrong !!

this is embarrasing with all these photos and evidence pointing at me ...

thanks for the correction !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
** UPDATE **

DAY 3 PRIMARY MISSION : http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7416753

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.