Subject: Confederate Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Derderian
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
I would like to hear from the readers here, about their confederate strategies for the game (and hopefully winning the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luck plays a decent part, something you just can't do anything about. Namely, if/when the Union gets the Blockades into action. Four of my last five plays have ended in Confederate victories, pretty much because the Union couldn't get Blockades or they crumbled on the worst possible moment (turn 7 campaign attrition, garrisons died, lifting the AC Blockade for +2WE and Confederate Political Victory). If the Union gets both coasts clamped down on turn 2, you're in for a tough game, that -3WE and thus reduced army total hurts pretty bad.

If you do manage to avoid Blockades, that gives you WE of 10 on turn 3, 10 corps for armies is plenty. Before Kentucky opens for either side, Memphis is absolutely pivotal. Hold it, retake it, do whatever you can to try and plug the Union's attempts to reach beyond it. Quite often Memphis is a bloodsoaked city during the early part of the games here, something seeing 18 straight months of action. A. Johnston puts up more than a decent fight against all but Grant and when commanding the Army of Tennessee, outnumbers Grant, at least before Grant gets two victories and becomes TC himself. If a massive army takes Memphis, try and hit back on the very next campaign round, ideally you'll have a 3OP card for 1 corps, reorganize and attack (should only really lose 2 corps in a very rare battle). Once Kentucky opens, Memphis and Nashville are the plugs you want to hold in place. If things have gone your way during the early part, might even look for a Dixie Victory by lauching attacks into Columbus and Indianapolis. -2WE for the Union could be enough to see his WE dip below yours (if Kentucky joins CSA, WE difference is only 1). That said, there have been games where you'll lose the west, having no armies left (since you do need them out east and WE has dipped so low). If things get down to a few corps, keep an eye on for Union Military Victory condition (3x corps deployed), if you know you'll very likely lose a corps in battle, withdraw.

East generally sees less action, though ironically, CSA has taken Washington twice in recent games. If the Union starts building up the Army of the Potomac, J. Johnston needs at least 3 corps, otherwise he'll simply lose on numbers, -2WE for Shenandoah and Emancipation, +1WE for the Union (unless you keep him at 1 corps, but then he has no use really). Beauregard tends to drop back to Richmond during the first campaign round of the game, unless backed by a lot of combat cards, the modifiers for attacking an opposing capital combined with poor Union leaders offensively (until Grant becomes ETC or Sheridan arrives turn 7), you can hold it easily even when outnumbered. "You Must Attack" can open up Washington for the winning strike, -4WE is rarely something Union can recover from. Fight for Shenandoah, once the AC Blockade is up, it's your only supply line.

Two cards to keep in mind: Draft and War Weariness. Draft, you can play offensively if you're doing well in the game to make the Confederate Political Victory more likely. WW can cripple either side for a turn, last game, Union got hit with back to back WW on turns 6 & 7, couldn't add any more corps during those turns. Good thing too, as the Confederate force pool had run out! Yes, most of those corps were around Memphis.

EDIT: I've kept decent logs of my PoF plays. While not fully a turn-by-turn accounts (some turns overlap paragraphs), if someone finds free time on their hands:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/14701?userid=166107
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The RallyBird Baseball board game
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've kept decent logs of my PoF plays. While not fully a turn-by-turn accounts (some turns overlap paragraphs), if someone finds free time on their hands:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/14701?userid=166107

Phenomenal session logs, Rauli! Thanks for sharing them.

Seems the Confederates often win.

PS. I ordered PoF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If math is up to date, after 27 plays Confederates enjoy a 14-13 edge. At least for us seems balanced enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play this one with ya. I got a copy in a trade I havent touched yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent Pete! Game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.