Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Bain
United States
Clarksville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few people interested in this that are in my group; however, our group has gotten so large that it seems like a waste for me to invest in 2 player games. Would this be able to be modified easily to support 4 players? I was thinking that the separate British and French boxes could be picked up and it could be played as a team game. Does anyone know viable this would be, or would more than 2 players mess it up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also suggest scenarios involving the soon-to-be-released fleets of different nations...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention structures, like landing ports, to add more "theme" to the scenarios!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like other games of it's type (Battletech, etc) Leviathans is perfect for team games. Just give each player a number of ships and have at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ramundi
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know how you feel, Chris. I really want this game--I love the mechanics, components, and the theme after reading through the fiction available so far--but I'm worried about paying so much for something that can only support 2 players (which still wouldn't bother me if I was confident I'd have a second person to play with often) when my gaming group tends to see a good 4 or 5 players lately.

Team matches sound like a great idea. Rules-wise, how does the Leviathans community envision that working, exactly? Everybody rolls initiative at the same time?

For example: All players roll initiative (2DRed) at the start of the round, then, in order of lowest initiative to highest, all players move their ships from highest to lowest Type.

I was also wondering if a "King of the Skies" variant would be viable. Kind of like what Catalyst did at GenCon; give a ship to each player and have a free-for-all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Benn
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
This seems totally playable as a 2 vs. 2 team game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea why they listed this as 2 player.

It plays fine as a two player but every game I've played has been with 3-8 players apart from a few 1-1 teaching games.

All the games at Gencon were 4+ player games.

One of our favorite games is for us each to take one type 1 destroyer and one type 2 cruiser and play every man for himself. We randomly put a bounty on 1 ship and the player that makes the killing shot on the bounty ship upgrades one of his ships to the next size (1-2, 2-4)

When a ship is destroyed it too upgrades to the next size.

So both winning and losing are fun!

Team games are not only possible, Leviathans actually excels at team games due to the fleet nature of the game.

A destroyer can take out a Battleship because the BS is so slow the DD simply gets behind it and blasts away.

Battleships need a friendly Destroyer or Cruiser to watch their back so in a 2player vs 2player team game one player on each team can take a Battleship and the other player can take in a Destroyer and a Cruiser.

Number of players is NOT an issue with this game.
The only issue we've had is lost sleep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is like any naval game. You will typically have two sides fighting each other. You can have one person control each side or play with teams. Alternatively you can play a free for all with everyone shooting at everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.