Shawn Hendrix
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
Join us for gaming on Friday Nights in Burbank, CA www.FridayNightDice.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking it would be fun to have unique flavors to the races other than color. So I have taken all the races and turned them into SE4X stats. No clue how balanced this is but I don't Care and neither does space or aliens who are way more advanced and will wipe you out with a thought.

However Please post your ideas here too!

Ok here we go. The +1 just means starting the game at one level tech higher than per the rules. Starting ships reflect this.

Elenans +1 Attack / +1 Defense 40cp value
Darlocks +1 Cloaking 30 cp value
Bulrathi +1 Attack / Colonies take 2 hits to drop one level 20cp
Alkari +2 Defense 50 cp
Gnolams +1 CP from MS links / 1 reroll per combat - Everyone know rerolls are priceless
Humans +1 Exploration +1 Move 35 cp
Klackons Large home world - Produces 25 cp
Meklars Ships cost 10% less Rounded up
Mrrshan +2 attack 50 cp
Psilons Technology cost 10% Less Rounded up
Sakkra Colonies start at size 3
Silicoids Can colonize Barren worlds Basically Terraforming but rock aliens do not to that they just rock but 25 cp
Trilarians Move +2 50cp

There you go a bit of flavor for your next game of Space Empires. I figure any unbalance will work itself out in multiplayer games

Adding approximate CP values you can always just add the difference to the other players starting turn CP count if more balance is what you desire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick and dirty balancing, at least for races with starting tech, is to add/subtract CPs so that every player has the same starting CP boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hendrix
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I thought about that and decided Eh, life is not fair so gang up on the one with the advantage. Might be worth it to just total it up and see how far off I was with just guessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Love the idea. I would "need" them to be balanced, so before I played with them, I'd probably adjust the balance as much as I could. But if nothing else, a good starting point for custom races. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to start somewhere, but all these advantages are realy powerful at the start of the game. For example Alkari's +2 defense means that their ships will likely not de destroyed on par with opponents until midgame at the earliest.

But me, I'm dubious about having racial traits in this game (even though I have ideas). Balancing would be needed too.

I love how people are modifying this game it should keep the replayability even higher for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving everyone 50CP to spend on tech at start seems like an easy way to give everyone a 'racial' trait. Left over CPs can be used in the next economic phase, but only toward tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel bad for the Darlocks. I doubt races will be able to exploit their advantages in the beginning due to so much deep space between them. By the time they come into contact, the other races will have time to invest some into Scanners. The shock value of encountering an unexpected technology will be diminished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hendrix
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All very good points. Jesse, Your home planet was within my grasp!

I like the Custom option which is in the game as well. spend 50cp on tech. I have only played twice, so I wont be using these right off the bat but the reason I ordered this game is its the closest thing to MOO2 that I have seen tactically, without being to fiddly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.