10 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Reinforcement placemetn, and echoes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Man
msg tools
1. Where are Reinforcements placed?

2. If there are more echoes than cloaked ships, and a new cloaked ship is placed on the board, can he create an echo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just took a look at the rules and I cannot find anything that addresses this specifically, but it appears to me that all ships including reinforcements start at the player’s command Post.

All ships that can cloak can use a cloaking action (while cloaked) to create a sensor echo. It appears that the only restriction to the number of echos on a board at any given time is the players ability to keep track of them.

Later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Rossotti
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
1.It's talked about in the rulebook in relation to a 4 player game, and the assumption is that this also applies in a 2 player game. Rulebook Page 31 under Reinforcement: "Reinforcement ships must come into play through the command post of the player that is taking the Reinforcement action."

2. Rulebook Page 16: "You can only add one Sensor Echo Token for each cloaked ship you control"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Command post.

2. From my playtest notes a ship can make more than 1 sensor echo, but only in so far as the total sensor echoes being created are no more than currently cloaked ships. So for your situation, that ship could not make a sensor echo until the number of cloaked ships is greater than the number of echoes.

Now, since this was from my playtesting, Bryan or another WizKids rep may clarify it differently but this is how I would play unless something official is posted to change it.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The sensor echo rules are a bit confusing... if I am not mistaken when a ship de-cloaks the echo remains(?) if so there could be more (possibly several more) echos than cloaked ships... if this is the case then newly cloaking ships (including reinforcements) will not be able to produce a sensor echo until all the previous ships that created echos re-cloak... is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
About Echoes, from the rules
"You can only add one Sensor Echo Token for each cloaked ship you control."

and

"Sensor Echoes remain on the board if the ship that created them de-cloaks, even if there are now more echoes than cloaked ships, or no cloaked ships at all."

So if I draw a reinforcement that can cloak, and there are more echoes than cloakable ships, can that reinforcement cloak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
So if I draw a reinforcement that can cloak, and there are more echoes than cloakable ships, can that reinforcement cloak?

It can always cloak (assuming its cloaking ability was not disabled) and I would go so far as to say that it can produce an echo as well, as long as it has not produced and echo already. Of course this is just my opinion based off of a reading of the rules... I have not had a chance to play test this rule yet because I do not have the game yet

Later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
This was discussed to mean that you, as the player, can create 1 echo token for each ship that is cloaked and not that a ship can only create 1 sensor echo token. So, if there are 3 cloaked ships and you have no sensor echoes on the board, you can create 3 sensor echoes. Whether that is done by 1 ship or multiple ships, it does not matter. The only per-requisite is that you have more cloaked ships than sensor echo tokens on the board.

Let me know if that clears it up or not.

I will admit that while playtesting we had a lot of questions about cloaking and sensor echoes in the beginning.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
michaeldavidcox wrote:
conedguy wrote:
This was discussed to mean that you, as the player, can create 1 echo token for each ship that is cloaked and not that a ship can only create 1 sensor echo token. So, if there are 3 cloaked ships and you have no sensor echoes on the board, you can create 3 sensor echoes. Whether that is done by 1 ship or multiple ships, it does not matter. The only per-requisite is that you have more cloaked ships than sensor echo tokens on the board.

You mean it is a prerequisite to have more cloaked ships than sensor echoes, before you create any more? So in the example where some cloaked ships get destroyed leaving some echoes behind, their replacements cannot create echoes if the echoes are equal or greater than the cloaked ships? Sounds like a clean rule, just want to know I understand right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Kinsella
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
michaeldavidcox wrote:
conedguy wrote:

You mean it is a prerequisite to have more cloaked ships than sensor echoes, before you create any more? So in the example where some cloaked ships get destroyed leaving some echoes behind, their replacements cannot create echoes if the echoes are equal or greater than the cloaked ships? Sounds like a clean rule, just want to know I understand right.

This is correct. Also - reinforcements start at your command post (already answered above)

In general we'll try to put an FAQ out 2 weeks or so after launch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.