6 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Data card, page 24 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Man
msg tools
You can see the rules on the company's website

There is an ability, "Trash Data to prevent all damage that would have destroyed the ship". Is the point all the damage, which could mean that the ship takes NO damage, or is the point "would have destroyed the ship", which puts the ship at Red Alert?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:

There is an ability, "Trash Data to prevent all damage that would have destroyed the ship". Is the point all the damage, which could mean that the ship takes NO damage, or is the point "would have destroyed the ship", which puts the ship at Red Alert?

Presumably it takes no damage, otherwise what would be the point of the word "all" in the ability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ship would not take any damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sho Gunn
msg tools
conedguy wrote:

I think its rather clear. The only damage that would destroy the ship is damage taken after red alert. why else stipulate that destroys the ship? It would otherwise say, trash data to prevent all damage. Or even, if ship would be destroyed prevent all damage by trashing data. Seems clear to me the intention was not to block all damage but just ensure survival of the ship

take in comparison the combat card that reduces damage taken by one to minimum zero. how specific. they even took the time to clarify you couldn't get negative damage. I find it therefore unlikely they casually added this phrase to the data card..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
fnkroue wrote:
conedguy wrote:

I think its rather clear. The only damage that would destroy the ship is damage taken after red alert. why else stipulate that destroys the ship? It would otherwise say, trash data to prevent all damage. Or even, if ship would be destroyed prevent all damage by trashing data. Seems clear to me the intention was not to block all damage but just ensure survival of the ship

take in comparison the combat card that reduces damage taken by one to minimum zero. how specific. they even took the time to clarify you couldn't get negative damage. I find it therefore unlikely they casually added this phrase to the data card..

Why use the word "all" at all, then?

There is such a thing as just bad wording you know, which I think is the case for both of these examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
fnkroue wrote:
conedguy wrote:

I am pretty sure you are wrong. If a ship is on yellow alert and takes two damages (for instance from a single attack), you may discard Data to prevent that two damage (and not just one of the two!). If the ship takes one damage, and then another one in the same turn, Data can only prevent that second point of damage, as that is the damage that would have destroyed the ship. If the ship has full health and takes two damage, Data cannot be sacrificed to prevent it, as the damage does not destroy the ship.

The wording is plain and simple, and I don't quite understand why there is confusion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.