Hide
7 Posts

Mare Balticum» Forums » General

Subject: Counterintuitive Fleet Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K K
msg tools
Hi, I'd like to point out, that in my opinion the fleet rules are counterintuitive.

What good is keeping a ship line for, if your fish can teleport all over your fleet?
If I understand correctly your whole fleet has 5 cargo space, no matter which ship picks up the fish it goes to the common cargo pool, right?
That is even more sad when your ship is 3 spaces into the sea and you sell all your fish (that includes fish on that one 3 spaces into the sea) because the first one got into the port - the fish teleport again.

If this is really the case, then those are not good rules in my opinion.

I'm still buying the game, but only for the artwork (which is truly awesome).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Konzik wrote:
Hi, I'd like to point out, that in my opinion the fleet rules are counterintuitive.

What good is keeping a ship line for, if your fish can teleport all over your fleet?
If I understand correctly your whole fleet has 5 cargo space, no matter which ship picks up the fish it goes to the common cargo pool, right?
That is even more sad when your ship is 3 spaces into the sea and you sell all your fish (that includes fish on that one 3 spaces into the sea) because the first one got into the port - the fish teleport again.

If this is really the case, then those are not good rules in my opinion.

I'm still buying the game, but only for the artwork (which is truly awesome).
This rule is used in many “Pick-up and Deliver” and "route building" games including ones that are far more complex than this game is intended to be. Rather than the fish “teleporting” between ships, can’t they be considered to be passing within the fleet from one to another or along the route that has been formed? Although I think each player’s ships are the exact same, if this rule still bothers you, maybe you can come up with a variant that addresses your concern?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
msg tools
Yes.

The only one that is viable and easy to implement is this one, I think, since the fleet line movement is necessary for strategy and planning your routes.

either

- When you sell all your ships must have moved into the port (but that's too long gameplay wise)

or

- When you sell all your ships are taken off the board and moved to that port and you move from there like in the beginning of the game (better!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Miłuński
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Konzik in short words - games that tries to reflect reality in details are not playable but boring. In a boardgame you may show some aspects of the theme in mechanics but in eurogame mechanics will always be more important.

On the other hand it is great that you have some ideas how to make it better. Playtest your ideas! I suppose that after that you will understand what I am talking about.

My guess is that your second idea will make game much longer but creates no additional tension, decisions or emotions for players. It of course may be more thematic than the original rule but probably will make the whole gaming experience less satisfying. Check that out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
msg tools
I won't joust over this, there's no need for it.

I still think you're mistaken. It's the teleporting fish that make the game less satysfying for me, not complex rules.

However, one can explain that the ships are just a representation of players' fleet and trade route, not the actual ships. That is good I think and it works rather nicely.

Still, that said, if you - as a designer - were aiming for a "fluffy feel" of the game (art!), why did you import the "euro" route building rules into it? You would have been much better off designing your own system, preferably with individual ships moving and operating solo.

So, will you be able to publish in Poland before Essen, like you intend to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Krupiński
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This space is available for rental
mbmbmbmbmb
As you can see
the game is already printed out. It will hit the stores next week probably

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Miłuński
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Konzik I think we have nothing to talk about so far. You talk about your idea of theme representation in gameplay but you haven't play Mare Balticum so far so it is more or less abstract discussion. I talk about real gameplay. I will be happy to start this discussion again when you will know the game.

At the moment you have some idea to make the game mechanics about fishing. Maybe try to design your own game. You will see then how game mechanics is related to the theme and what is important in this process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.