Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Smith
Japan
Nishisonogigun
Nagasaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played BoH and HotG entirely solo since I bought it, I find it a very deep and interesting game but I always wonder how others play it. Of course, your tactics and style of play always depend on the scenario and objectives, but can you describe your overall approach to a battle?

Do you rush in like a bull, sacrificing units left and right in hopes of a lucky break? Or do you come at your opponent carefully, trying to "bring all the boys back home"?

I used to play the game very conservatively, passing turns left and right and trying to force the other side to make a bad move. I also used to stack all of my units in great piles, trying to squeeze every extra bit of firepower into my shots, which worked well until I realized that putting all my units in one stack left them all very vulnerable to a lucky shot. Now I try to use tactics like bounding overwatch and spread units out like a blossoming flower, tied tightly enough to their command but far enough away so as to keep damage spread out. How about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came at this game with a Squad Leader (not ASL) background. There I always felt you were rewarded for having the "killer" stack in the right place so tended to bunch up my units.

First few game with LnL I found that strategy didn't work as well. First you don't get as much fire power with stacks as you do with spread out foreces. Also as the game is played in alternating impulses instead of "All of my guys then all of your guys" this tends to make me want to have may different hexes occupied to have maximum flexibility in movement, fire and OP fire.

As for agressive or cautious play I find it depends greatly on if your attacking or defending. Attacking you need to maneuver and press the attack because you usually don't have many turn to complete your mission. Infantry combat is one of maneuver - Find-Fix-Flank-Finish... so Spot'em, shaken'em, and move to melee and take'em.

On defence you have to weigh exposing yourself to fire against allowing too much freedom of movement of the enemy. This again leads me to spread out my troops to have overlaping fields of fire and to try and funnel the enemies advance to my advantage.

Tonight Mark and I are playing Down Time from HotG, on Vassal at 7:30 pm EDT. It's more of a meeting engagement style of scenario, not used very often in this series, so it will be interesting to see how my style of play works in this situation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Pultorak
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Now that is an interesting discussion topic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Smith
Japan
Nishisonogigun
Nagasaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some good ways to get out of conservative play "rut" too. For example, I used to always use "Low Crawl" when attacking so I could get my MG teams into position without being fired upon. But I soon realized that the extra turn it takes to stop short on the first turn and then spend the entire next turn low crawling into cover is a huge waste of time. Now I generally wait until most enemy units have fired or moved and than I just double-time my MG teams into cover, let them take their lumps,if necessary, and then rally the next turn.

The only time I ever use Low Crawl now is when I have shaken units pulling back into an unspotted hex with other friendly units in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
When I play I like to let the historical time set the mood and sometimes the tactical approach.
With this game its Soviets en masse, doctrinal 'rushing' the defense.
Where as I see the US/NATO forces as every man counts, every bullet counts. Keep 'em alive, but hold at all costs as the higher mandate.

I tend to be bolder with the Soviets and cautious with the US. The US is mostly on the D here, so as already mentioned, know where you will retreat to matters, subject to possible lines of advance.

Know how to use all of your weapons together and individually matters also. Innovative use of the M113 to capture units in the open works once or twice for instance and we know we are sacrificing the unit for the greater good.

One aspect I find gamey but necessary is the flushing of opp fire.
The constant flow of units to absorb opp fire until you can rush the stack at the Melee objective feels a tad un natural to me, but works once you adjust your play style to it.

So with that in mind I try to use building levels to control/manage being swamped. One up one down in the same hex can be the difference between a win and a loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Petters
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the most difficult part of the game to me is that I have to be aggressive. By nature, I love making my opponent come to me, which is fine if I already have the victory locations and they have to take them from me. Unfortunately, very few (if any) scenarios are set up that way.

You have to be aggressive (but not stupidly so). There's not enough time to waste rounds waiting for the other guy to screw up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Smith
Japan
Nishisonogigun
Nagasaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:

One aspect I find gamey but necessary is the flushing of opp fire.
The constant flow of units to absorb opp fire until you can rush the stack at the Melee objective feels a tad un natural to me, but works once you adjust your play style to it.

Yes, games like "Tide of Iron" have an interesting rule where MG teams can opportunity fire an unlimited number of times in a turn. Having said that, I understand the rule's logic in LnL because I imagine a fire team would probably be focusing on targets in a specific field of fire rather than spraying bullets all over the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
one system i've played at a higher platoon level allows unlimited opp fire if the unit does noting else. That tends to set up the Find, Suppress and kill mode.
The NL system works well enough and we are at such a small scale that a squad can't logically be shooting ALL over the place in 'turn sized increments'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since play testing the game with Peter Bogdasarian, who is a melee maniac, I’ve always played to create the unfair advantage. Specifically, the melee against shaken units. Sometimes an entire game will go by without if happening, but it’s always in the back of my mind.

I’m always looking to swarm defenders. That doesn’t just mean running a bunch of squads in front of their guns. It’s a combination of suppression (i.e. shaking troublesome enemy hexes), using cover, and attacking with multiple units.

Op fire is an integral part of any tactical game, and difficult to balance. Of course I've heard all the complaints/compliments on my use of machine guns. Here's the thing... in the real world, could a machine gun engage more than one target in 1-2 minutes? Of course. In the real world, does a machine gunner have a board in front of him displaying EX-freaking-actly where each and every threat will come from? [No answer needed]. So if you give machine guns the same multiple engagement capability you see in real life AND the God-like vision you have in a board game you turn the game/simulation into a static dose of Sominex.

BTW there is a, great article on Lock ‘n Load infantry tactics in Line of Fire 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.